Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #3331
Morgo
18 till i die

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
I just come from a ride after the first service... Finally the windshield and the GPS mounting arrive. The windshield made a huge difference! A lot less noise!
[URL=http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/NIKOKTM/media/IMG_0656_zpseee309f8.jpg.html][IMG]
Hi nikoktm
You mentioned in an earlier post that your dealer was going the check the issue with the tyre sensors at the 1,000 klm service, was it a faulty sensor? I have the "R" that was at Springwood Suzuki and have ordered the Mitas E09 Dakar but have not had time to fit yet.
Past experience with "your" dealership has left me with the same experience in regards to customer service once the cheque has been cleared happy to say not the case for me at Springwood, well so far anyway. How does the akra sound mate, have been told not much different to std due to the CAT still being in place. I was thinking of having the middle section with the CAT removed and have a replacement section made to get back the glorious note but don't want it too loud

Cheers Morgo
Old 05-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #3332
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgo View Post
I was thinking of having the middle section with the CAT removed and have a replacement section made to get back the glorious note but don't want it too loud
I was thinking the same while looking at the R. I'm also sure LOTS of exhaust vendors are thinking the same so I would expect a few more options than Akra being released to the market in the next months. If I were you I would wait and see.
Also, keep in mind that's very likely that the bike will need a new map if you cut the cat off and so far it seems there are no maps available.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #3333
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by dultanur View Post
Thanks for the comments. I rode the multi today for a couple of hours. It is an awesome bike. The skyhook works great but its mainly for making sport mode more comfy. At the end of the day I think the tractor will stay ;)

BTW, Umit is off riding so heres the answer: His bike has SW Motech pannier rack and trax panniers and a Touratech topcase.
I rode the GSW today, about an hour no dirt roads just highway with some curves for good measure. My thoughts, Dynamic mode needs a throttle fix, far two direct and I could not cruse at a constant throttle, bike was jerky. Performance down low was good, but way slower up high compared to the Multi, and KTM. Wind protection the best out of Multi,which is bad, and KTM.

I liked the bike it took some time for me to start feeling familar but after awhile it felt very good. Bike did feel like it was geared to low, but in reality has same gearing in 6th as the Multi, it just feels like the motor is busy.

Price wise it is the best priced when you consider all the options, Ducati is the most expensive, but KTM about the same once you start adding the extras that come standard with the BMW. The Gs blinkers self cancel, the KTM doesn't , Heated Grips, GPs mount and wiring , spoked wheels cruise control and skyhook suspension with compression and rebound damping control all add up to more function than the KTM. KTM is hands down better in the power department , and I suspect better in the off road.
BM will be the better with resale, KTM and Ducati will suck .

I have watched this space now for 6 months and can't see any reason not to order the BM, pitty as I was quite keen on the KTM, but for me the GS is just that little bit better overall for my purpose.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #3334
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgo View Post
Hi nikoktm
You mentioned in an earlier post that your dealer was going the check the issue with the tyre sensors at the 1,000 klm service, was it a faulty sensor? I have the "R" that was at Springwood Suzuki and have ordered the Mitas E09 Dakar but have not had time to fit yet.
Past experience with "your" dealership has left me with the same experience in regards to customer service once the cheque has been cleared happy to say not the case for me at Springwood, well so far anyway. How does the akra sound mate, have been told not much different to std due to the CAT still being in place. I was thinking of having the middle section with the CAT removed and have a replacement section made to get back the glorious note but don't want it too loud

Cheers Morgo
Hi Morgo,

No problem at all. it wasn't a faulty one, just needed to be reconfigured I guess.
And talking about the dealer to be honest, I was quite concerned at the beginning specially when reading a few commentaries here, but I need to say I dont have at the moment, any issue with them. fast service & good. I don't have like you any "point of comparison". That's all i can say now. All good!

I have the Mitas E- 07 at back and Pirelli Sahara at front; by recommendation from the guys at "tyres for bikes".
About the Akra, again, no point of comparison, but If you want I'm happy to meet with you and you can ride mine and compair...
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #3335
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
I rode the GSW today, about an hour no dirt roads just highway with some curves for good measure. My thoughts, Dynamic mode needs a throttle fix, far two direct and I could not cruse at a constant throttle, bike was jerky. Performance down low was good, but way slower up high compared to the Multi, and KTM. Wind protection the best out of Multi,which is bad, and KTM.

I liked the bike it took some time for me to start feeling familar but after awhile it felt very good. Bike did feel like it was geared to low, but in reality has same gearing in 6th as the Multi, it just feels like the motor is busy.

Price wise it is the best priced when you consider all the options, Ducati is the most expensive, but KTM about the same once you start adding the extras that come standard with the BMW. The Gs blinkers self cancel, the KTM doesn't , Heated Grips, GPs mount and wiring , spoked wheels cruise control and skyhook suspension with compression and rebound damping control all add up to more function than the KTM. KTM is hands down better in the power department , and I suspect better in the off road.
BM will be the better with resale, KTM and Ducati will suck .

I have watched this space now for 6 months and can't see any reason not to order the BM, pitty as I was quite keen on the KTM, but for me the GS is just that little bit better overall for my purpose.
Mate,
Completely understanding your point.. But if you main purpose is functionality and have fun, rather than resale value, go for KTM!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #3336
Ozi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Did you ever want follow somebody test riding a GS? I wonder what they do on the ride? To me the GS felt just like a huge postie-bike - I could only wheelie it in first and second with shit loads of revs and clutch, much heavier, gutless , boring and ugly. Yesterdays ham sandwich. I tried to like it but could not. I understand why people buy them. Same reason divorced women by a 3 series BMW to "make a statement". After riding with over 100 BMW riders in the GS safari - then, I realised that most BMW gs riders are only a hair off being Harley rider - they like to cruise along slowly in other peoples dust, with no adventure camping gear, stopping often at hotels to mention the BMW brand name to strangers. They want to be a part of a legend they imagine exists around this long way round bike. Consumers, not racers. The world need average people and the GS is built to make them feel distinguished. BMW ad agency pulls them in like fish on a line.

The 1190R KTM wont speak to you unless you have an offroad background and you like to win enduro or motocross or track - it wont appeal unless it really bothers you that somebody is infront of you on the track, its a totally different bike which came from racing and motocross - BMW GS appeals to the charlie boreman in every office-trapped person. charlie's so clumsy he give dull people hope. KTM 1190 is the real deal. a different bike.

The KTM 1190 is for a minority of racers and I am hoping that most consumers wont get one - hell yeah. I recommend lots of people buy GS. Last thing I want is anybody to realise how good the 1190 really is, and it become common place "standard issue" like GS.

Glad nobody followed me on my test rides.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #3337
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi View Post
Did you ever want follow somebody test riding a GS? I wonder what they do on the ride? To me the GS felt just like a huge postie-bike - I could only wheelie it in first and second with shit loads of revs and clutch, much heavier, gutless , boring and ugly. Yesterdays ham sandwich. I tried to like it but could not. I understand why people buy them. Same reason divorced women by a 3 series BMW to "make a statement". After riding with over 100 BMW riders in the GS safari - then, I realised that most BMW gs riders are only a hair off being Harley rider - they like to cruise along slowly in other peoples dust, with no adventure camping gear, stopping often at hotels to mention the BMW brand name to strangers. They want to be a part of a legend they imagine exists around this long way round bike. Consumers, not racers. The world need average people and the GS is built to make them feel distinguished. BMW ad agency pulls them in like fish on a line.

The 1190R KTM wont speak to you unless you have an offroad background and you like to win enduro or motocross or track - it wont appeal unless it really bothers you that somebody is infront of you on the track, its a totally different bike which came from racing and motocross - BMW GS appeals to the charlie boreman in every office-trapped person. charlie's so clumsy he give dull people hope. KTM 1190 is the real deal. a different bike.

The KTM 1190 is for a minority of racers and I am hoping that most consumers wont get one - hell yeah. I recommend lots of people buy GS. Last thing I want is anybody to realise how good the 1190 really is, and it become common place "standard issue" like GS.

One of the best description of KTM & quote I ever read!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #3338
marcone
V-Stromer

Oddometer: 38
Buying a motorcycle with resale value in mind is like getting married thinking: wonder how much will she get from me in the upcoming divorce :)))
KTM or bust!
marcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #3339
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Mate,
Completely understanding your point.. But if you main purpose is functionality and have fun, rather than resale value, go for KTM!
Resale is not the issue, I own a Multi Strada 1200 so why would I worry about resale. Yes I was very enthusiastic about the KTM , but for now I think itís not the best choice for my riding. Itís like I own a 4WD but only get to use it for its design potential about 10% of itís miles, but I still own one because for that 10% I want the ability.
I think the statement I made suggested the KTM would be better off road, and a better performer, but it misses in the other areas more than the BM misses in the KTM areas , that is for me. Iíd agree most GS riders probably want to look like Charlie, but this isnít a consideration for me . I want a good upright touring bike that I can do some gravel on , and if it falls over can still be ridden.
Doing an enduro ride isnít on my agenda. I wouldnít knock it, KTM, like Iíd knock a Hardly !
Old 06-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #3340
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
I agree on most, but this is just not right:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
and if it falls over can still be ridden.
I'm positive the BM will be totally un-ride-able after a fall unless it has bars and even then, it can get quite sketchy. The narrow KTM figure is far better protected.

mousitsas screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 03:36 AM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:26 AM   #3341
Jltrd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27

Glad nobody followed me on my test rides.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that KTM made the 1190 more road biased to better compete with "yesterday's ham sandwich" right?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Jltrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:44 AM   #3342
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jltrd View Post
You do realize that KTM made the 1190 more road biased to better compete with "yesterday's ham sandwich" right?
Hmm...no.
I think they wanted to make a motorcycle as fun as an MS1200 on the road and as tractable as an Explorer 1200 on touring. Supremacy off road came almost by definition. The "yesterday's ham sandwich" had already be bettered by others on all fronts. Bar the hype.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #3343
dultanur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
It cracks me up that this dialogue is the same in any language, in any forum, in any part of the world
Old 06-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #3344
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi View Post

Why is it that some people have to talk crap about other people's bikes to try to make a point.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #3345
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Why is it that some people have to talk crap about other people's bikes to try to make a point.
Because it's a motorcycle internerd forum, if we all start agreeing with each other this froum would be dead in 3 days
burgerking is online now   Reply With Quote