Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #3676
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Nor can I. Can people post up what kind of tire life they are getting on the Adventure or the R? Can't wait to see. lol
He was running OEM Conti TAs afaik:

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
After 7500km tires where gone, I'm now running on a new set.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...39&postcount=4

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #3677
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Bad fuel dongle and traction control settings

Anyone out there with an 1190 and has installed the 'bad fuel dongle'?

I'm interested in its ability to save preferences in regard to ABS and traction control - If I buy an 1190, I still want to run on normal (high) octane setting but be able to save my traction/braking preferences.

Does it create another 'custom' map or change one of the Rain/Street/Track/Off-road maps?

Response from someone who actually has it would be appreciated
Old 07-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #3678
I JET
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
just put a deposit down on a grey 1190 adventure, one of the last few available in the country......heated grips and crash bars, being delivered next week. Cant wait.
I JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #3679
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Deal breaker

Congrats on that I Jet, I bet you can hardly wait to really open that beast up!

Here's the question:

Is the heat issue a deal breaker? Is it that happening on a lot of bikes or just an isolated incident?

Over here in the states, we (potential buyers of the 1190) are following all threads, comments, and reviews of this bike and one big issue in my mind that could be a deal breaker for me, would that extreme heat on the left side of the bike. Especially when I'm considering a Tenere or an Explorer as a potential purchase. I guess I don't want to spend close to $18-19,000 US dollars and be kind of annoyed every time I get this bike on the road.

I've read through these threads and found a handful of buyers who are noticing this heat issue, would these buyers buy it again knowing that this was going to happen?

Being too sensitive here? Or is it a real issue?

From enthusiast to enthusiast, thanks to all the owners out there for providing real information.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #3680
I JET
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
When i test rode one a month ago i didn't have any heat issues but it was a cold day, the thing i found most annoying was changing riding modes and switching on and off traction control and abs. I'm coming off an S1000RR which has a button on the left switch block for abs and traction control and a mode button on the right switch block to change riding modes, having to scroll through all the menus on the KTM to change these settings was a pain in the ass.....that and it does dive a fair bit under heavy braking. But having said that there are plenty of things i love about the bike which is why i bought one.
I JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #3681
shay
reading is hard

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Congrats on that I Jet, I bet you can hardly wait to really open that beast up!

Here's the question:

Is the heat issue a deal breaker? Is it that happening on a lot of bikes or just an isolated incident?

Over here in the states, we (potential buyers of the 1190) are following all threads, comments, and reviews of this bike and one big issue in my mind that could be a deal breaker for me, would that extreme heat on the left side of the bike. Especially when I'm considering a Tenere or an Explorer as a potential purchase. I guess I don't want to spend close to $18-19,000 US dollars and be kind of annoyed every time I get this bike on the road.

I've read through these threads and found a handful of buyers who are noticing this heat issue, would these buyers buy it again knowing that this was going to happen?

Being too sensitive here? Or is it a real issue?

From enthusiast to enthusiast, thanks to all the owners out there for providing real information.
I've ridden my 1190 in 25c, 80f, and you can feel a little heat on the left hand side, I stick my knees out into the wind for a few seconds to cool off every now and again ( once every 15 - 20 minutes). I've never felt the heat was excessive, just a little warmer than normal. It wasn't a factor for me, ymmv.

shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #3682
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Roger that Shay.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #3683
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
I don't own a 1190 , test rode it and considerered it but decided on the GS. The heat wasn't an issue for me. and most likely would not have been a deal breaker. I have owned an XB12X and that had heat issues that were easy to solve, not very noticable when you had the correct gear on, and mainly effected you when riding in the city. It seems to me the heat will be solved by shielding and there is a board member that has solved it in this manner. For me , and I've read every post, would have purchased still knowing about the heat issue.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #3684
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay View Post
I've ridden my 1190 in 25c, 80f, and you can feel a little heat on the left hand side, I stick my knees out into the wind for a few seconds to cool off every now and again ( once every 15 - 20 minutes). I've never felt the heat was excessive, just a little warmer than normal. It wasn't a factor for me, ymmv.
Agreed, it really is not an issue.

Sat in traffic and going slowly above 25C (80F) you can feel the heat on your left lower thigh, but it is not too intrusive and I'm sure I will appreciate it later in the year. It certainly is not a deal breaker, you are just sat on a 150bhp 1190cc RC8 engine

I think there is a separate thread on a quick fix if you feel you need it (a plastic shield), though no doubt 'touratwat' will produce something soon for mega $$$.

The important thing is that the radiator temperature does not go above 4 bars, no matter what abuse you give the engine, even sat in hot traffic, so the cooling system is efficient - an improvement on the 990.

Its due to be a lot hotter here next week, so if it changes I will let you know. I think there a few 1190 riders in southern Europe where it is much warmer so they may have another view.
Ducati 998S
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #3685
katoome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Pilot View Post
Anyone out there with an 1190 and has installed the 'bad fuel dongle'?

I'm interested in its ability to save preferences in regard to ABS and traction control - If I buy an 1190, I still want to run on normal (high) octane setting but be able to save my traction/braking preferences.

Does it create another 'custom' map or change one of the Rain/Street/Track/Off-road maps?

Response from someone who actually has it would be appreciated
I'm also interested I have a 1190R and find the traction control way too intrusive.
katoome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #3686
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
I need to test ride as well. Problem is in Australia there aren't a lot of dealers around. KTM have two dealer types , off road and road, some have both but most of the out of city dealers are off road bikes,(singles).

The is a dealer in Sydney but riding in the city tells you very little ! I will head to Canberra to test if they have a demo there.
Wow there is a KTM dealer in Canberra?
Babatad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #3687
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babatad View Post
Wow there is a KTM dealer in Canberra?
I did go to Canberra and rode the bike. Dealer was quite helpful and I got to do some good non city type roads and even got on some gravel. Might have brought the bike on the spot if they had had some accessories and stuff I needed. The fact that they could tell me just about nothing as to when stuff would be available, and a few other issues lent me towards the BM. My be next year for the 1190.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #3688
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
There is a heat issue but its not a deal breaker cause the bike is so good. The heat issue appears in heavy traffic normal riding conditions there isn't too much heat. But I am sure the issue will be sorted by putting a heat shield under the seat.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #3689
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
No heat issues today.
This was bought in Canberra.

PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #3690
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
in the normal open road with no traffic there are no issues but if you stop and go in heavy city traffic there is a issue.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote