Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #4081
Duane1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoals View Post
adventure models will be here late sept but R models next year, our "demo" was sposed to be here already but now they say late aug early sept which is frustrating as we have people lined up to ride it and i had planned to take it with me to the tenere rally this weekend in tellico plains tn but now i,ll just take something else i guess
Thank you!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhh................Tellico plains................I remember that area well. Robinsville, US 129, Ducktown, Suches, GA, Blood Mountain, Turner's Corner.............Richard B Russell Parkway...............GREAT RIDING up there!!!!! Damn I miss it!!!!!!

Take care Bro!!!!!!
Duane1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #4082
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonktm View Post
KTM 1190 ADVENTURE R RIDERS ... BREATHE DEEPLY!
As awesome as the new KTM 1190 Adventure R is, one area where it needs a little fine-tuning is in the air filtration department, as the stock paper filter element and air box have been shown to have trouble coping with Australia's outback dust conditions.
So Aussie brand UniFilter has leapt to the fore and created a very serious fix for the 1190's air box, which is now available from UniFilter dealers everywhere - check it out:
UniFilter, through Ficeda Accessories, is pleased to release its latest air filtering solution to the Australian market. Unifilter Australia has combined its 37 years of air filter design and manufacturing expertise as well as its new state of the art CNC manufacturing processes to develop the ultimate air filter for the KTM 1190 Adventure/R.
The kit includes everything you could hope for to provide the
best protection when exploring everywhere Australia and the world has to offer!
The kit includes: replacement two-stage panel filter, 2 x intake snorkel pre-cleaners and 1 x soft foam air box seal.
RRP is $69.95 and the part # AU1429KIT
It's available from all good motorcycle stores right now!
I just emailed my dealer about the recall on the air filter and they said no worries, they will send one out to me. So may not be that bad after all ;)

I wonder if I can upgrade minus the cost of the DNA filter to the unifilter one? hehe

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #4083
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
I have been busy adding my signature to a fantastic bike to make it even more fantastic!

This Remus pipe was previously fitted to a GTR1400 since sold so I laser cut a bracket to mount it and welded the retaining spring tabs to the KTM outlet. The GTR pipe slipped on so perfectly, it looks like a factory job!

The Australian made B&B bash plate is made from 5mm alloy and very well designed, robust and IMO, looks better than either the KTM, Tourtech or SW-Motech items. It was not light at 4kg but I saved the same weight by fitting the Remus pipe so we're back to square one re weight.

You are looking at the biggest improvement to long distance ride comfort right here. The MRA X-creen can be adjusted for angle and my 5'10" (177cm) frame hides behind this set up even with the KTM windscreen in it's lowest position. This set up effectively sends the turbulence over the top and past my shoulders and I suspect a passenger would further benefit if the main screen was lifted. The MRA X-creen also comes with 6cm long adjustment arms to give even more height but I chose to fit the X-creen directly to it's mounting base for a tidier look.

The Ergo seat is not cheap and to be honest, I was full of regrets about buying it as I dismantled what seemed like the entire bike (remove all panels, tank headlight etc) just to fit the heated seat control switch. HOWEVER, now that I have used the seat on an all day ride I have to say it's one of the very best seats I've ever sat on. If you live in a hot climate and you dont need the heating function, just coil the wires up under the seat and use it just for its day long comfort then you'll save yourself the agro of fitting the switch!

This SW-Motech item is well finished and an absolutely essential item because of the poor KTM side stand design. I heard some forum chatter about a recall on side stands???

There has been much discussion re heat off the rear cylinder head and rear header pipe so I had the rear header pipe ceramic coated to reduce the heat signature back to the rear shock.

I suspect that the hot seat issue is not as pronounced with the thicker Ergo seat fitted however I fashioned up a heat shield from a bit of plastic I found in the KTM satchel when I bought the bike. Looking at the pre-drilled holes I think this was intended to fit behind the numberplate to comply with Australian Design Rules pertaining to length of mudguard.

Another pic of the shield "clipped" into the seat. As far as I can tell it works well with no hot seat yet detected despite a full day riding in 30 degrees last weekend.

http://s299.photobucket.com/user/Aus...ml?sort=3&o=11
Although the Touratech risers are not visible, the SW-Motech GPS mount can be seen. The only drawback is that it makes it awkward to get to the key with gloved hands.

This shows how I modified my old KTM 950 tank bag by cutting a hole to access the fuel filler. Works perfectly. Touratech handlebar risers are visible here along with the Zumo mounted in its dock.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 12:31 AM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #4084
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
So it turns out that the DNA filter is actually just the pre filter's.. so you still need to open up the box and seal up the outer box and paper filter.

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #4085
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear View Post
I have been busy adding my signature to a fantastic bike to make it even more fantastic!

This shows how I modified my old KTM 950 tank bag by cutting a hole to access the fuel filler. Works perfectly.
That, my friend, is a work of bloody genius!

Unless you get it patented before the Austrians get the bike on this side of the pond that idea is well and truly stolen!

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #4086
Toors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Found something:

So there is a 7500 service, but it's the airfilter recall.

There is no 7500 service on a 1190, but saying that I'll be doing an oil change in any event.

Issue is: dust (which is areal problem in South Africa and Australia) can get past (on some bikes) the stock airfilter.

This air filter changes were an initiative by a South African KTM dealer (Raceworx) and not a KTM recall - Another South African KTM Dealer RAD also on its own initiative recalled all its 1190'and inspected the air boxes and where required seemingly put some grease lining in to stop the buy pass of the air filter .

I am very happy to see the Uni Air filter and will install as soon as I can get my hands on ones - One up to UNi filter to look at the problem and fix.
Toors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #4087
barbadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
At 15,000 you´ll have added so much oil that probably you already changed it
So, go from 1K to 30K directly

My R needed 0,25 cl oil for 1700km, probably 2l for 15000km will be necessary, you are in true

Seriously, 1190 motor is a new motor with all the new tecnology and the oil we used have make lot of progres from 70's.
Ok, if i only ride with my bike like an enduro, on "race mode", it will be interesting to change oil more regulary.
But for a normal use road, i don't think so...but it's just my opinion, everyone done what he wants
barbadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:20 AM   #4088
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,179
Mine has 4500km and is not using any oil.
PPiA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #4089
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Do VRA screens actually sell it for 1190 adventure? Or you just bought one and fit it ? The whole bike looks good man.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #4090
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonktm View Post
KTM 1190 ADVENTURE R RIDERS ... BREATHE DEEPLY!
As awesome as the new KTM 1190 Adventure R is, one area where it needs a little fine-tuning is in the air filtration department, as the stock paper filter element and air box have been shown to have trouble coping with Australia's outback dust conditions.
So Aussie brand UniFilter has leapt to the fore and created a very serious fix for the 1190's air box, which is now available from UniFilter dealers everywhere - check it out:
UniFilter, through Ficeda Accessories, is pleased to release its latest air filtering solution to the Australian market. Unifilter Australia has combined its 37 years of air filter design and manufacturing expertise as well as its new state of the art CNC manufacturing processes to develop the ultimate air filter for the KTM 1190 Adventure/R.
The kit includes everything you could hope for to provide the
best protection when exploring everywhere Australia and the world has to offer!
The kit includes: replacement two-stage panel filter, 2 x intake snorkel pre-cleaners and 1 x soft foam air box seal.
RRP is $69.95 and the part # AU1429KIT
It's available from all good motorcycle stores right now!
I told by the service manager that KTM would be providing a fix for the dust issue. I will ask him next week when i back up home.

But then again, I have been told many things by this crowd and take what they say with a grain of salt!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #4091
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
Do VRA screens actually sell it for 1190 adventure? Or you just bought one and fit it ? The whole bike looks good man.
The MRA screen is pretty much universal. I have one that I have used on three different windshields and it has vastly improved all of them

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #4092
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,179
I ordered the Uni Filter yesterday.

They checked my VIN for any updates/recalls.

Nothing yet, so maybe KTM is just hoping we all pay for the fix ourselves.
PPiA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #4093
cladv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Mine has 4500km and is not using any oil.
Mine at 4600km lost around 700cc...even with warnings in the display.

The dealer refilled and now.... at 7000km... is in a normal level.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #4094
December6th
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
A bit off topic but just curious.

The first service is on 1000km , while the second (oil change) on 15.000km.

Really, does anyone trust this number? I mean would you keep the oil for that long in the engine ?

The official dealer here says that the second service is done on 7.500km for oil change.

What do you think ?
Asked my dealer to perform the 15000 service at 10000 already as I am leaving for a three week trip and did not want to search a dealer on the trip. So we decided to change Oil, Oilfilter and Brakefluid to be on the safe side. Dealer recommend not to change airfilter due to my primary use on alpine mountain roads. Plan to change Oil again at 20000 upon return from my trip

Nikolaus
December6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #4095
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
The October issue of Motorcyclist magazine has a full page ad for the 1190 Adventure - won't be long now.

It says the 'standard' version will have the EDS.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote