Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #4156
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schussboelie View Post
I just used PlastiDip.
Perfect for small areas and non-destructive.
I think it is some kind of latex based or something so it is flexible.
It's fairly heat-resistant as a buddy of mine used it on his exhaust guard with no issues.
All you need is to degrease the surface area properly and spray it on.
4 or 5 coats and you're all set.
Even better
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #4157
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
I believe there's nothing painted in that pic, if you're referring at the headlight mask I think black is the original color in the standard adventure.

Correct............
Old 09-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #4158
Fireflyer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
As fast as a F650gs?.........sorry couldn't resist...

If I ride my Multi back to back with my SE...I really miss a real front tire....

So....is it possible?
Hi, Comming from a mainly road riding background and having never had any big heavy KTMs before I was really not sure about how the 21" front would be on Tarmac.

Wanted an 1190 but did not want the electronic suspension so opted for the 'R' as standard bikes without the lecy suspenders were not available here ( plus the R looks better IMO and gives me the option to wobble around off road when I get the chance)

Anyways, the more I ride it the more I'm surprised at how good the 21" front is in the corners on road and my back up plan of getting some 19" Alpinas with road rubber fitted according to the type of riding has been kicked into touch.

According to my dealer when I asked them about it before I bought the "R" fitting a 19" front is possible but....
1. Can't just fit the 19" front straight off the standard model as fork stanchions/wheel spindles are not same as "R" model
2. Would need to also change rear wheel so software reprogram could recognise 19/17" combination for abs - traction control etc. ( Std Adv has 19/17 wheels, "R" has 21/18 so if you just changed the front you would be left with 19" front and 18" rear)
3. Steering geometry would be out (different) with 19" front in "R" forks so may need to play around dropping forks through to get nice set up.

Can't verify the above points made by dealer because as I said at the start the 21" has been way better than my expectations and I don't feel the need to make the change any more.
Sure the smaller front should be (very slightly) better but from my experience having ridden both the difference is so small it's going to be the rider that makes the biggest difference so just set the suspension up to suit and carry on mullering your mates on road..........with the added bonus of bullshitting them that you must be a riding god cause you're doing it with 21" front wheel

Seriously though just try it - if you want to change it fair enough - if you NEED to change it maybe best just buy a full on sports bike

Cheers

Fireflyer screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 02:24 PM
Fireflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #4159
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer View Post
Hi, Comming from a mainly road riding background and having never had any big heavy KTMs before I was really not sure about how the 21" front would be on Tarmac.

Wanted an 1190 but did not want the electronic suspension so opted for the 'R' as standard bikes without the lecy suspenders were not available here ( plus the R looks better IMO and gives me the option to wobble around off road when I get the chance)

Anyways, the more I ride it the more I'm surprised at how good the 21" front is in the corners on road and my back up plan of getting some 19" Alpinas with road rubber fitted according to the type of riding has been kicked into touch.

According to my dealer when I asked them about it before I bought the "R" fitting a 19" front is possible but....
1. Can't just fit the 19" front straight off the standard model as fork stanchions/wheel spindles are not same as "R" model
2. Would need to also change rear wheel so software reprogram could recognise 19/17" combination for abs - traction control etc. ( Std Adv has 19/17 wheels, "R" has 21/18 so if you just changed the front you would be left with 19" front and 18" rear)
3. Steering geometry would be out (different) with 19" front in "R" forks so may need to play around dropping forks through to get nice set up.

Can't verify the above points made by dealer because as I said at the start the 21" has been way better than my expectations and I don't feel the need to make the change any more.
Sure the smaller front should be (very slightly) better but from my experience having ridden both the difference is so small it's going to be the rider that makes the biggest difference so just set the suspension up to suit and carry on mullering your mates on road..........with the added bonus of bullshitting them that you must be a riding god cause you're doing it with 21" front wheel

Seriously though just try it - if you want to change it fair enough - if you NEED to change it maybe best just buy a full on sports bike

Cheers
Fair enough....will give it a try before I start fiddling.......
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #4160
BlueCattledog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Heavy vibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCattledog View Post
Hi all,
Just an update; have heavy vibes through the bars on my 1190, enough to give you a numb throttle hand after 30 mls not what I expected on a new bike. I bought the PHDS progressive handlebar damping system as the Dealer said all their long distance touring customers have been using them for years.
Helps a little but I'm not satisfied; paid a lot of money for this bike, should not have this problem, I've been riding V-twins for years, even Buell's and not had this. My last bike was a 990SMT on probs on that.
I've asked to take out their demo to test it against mine and they are happy with that, so I'll give it a go when off next.
Has anyone else had same or similar problems with heavy numbing vibration through the bars, please speak up, if not and your bike runs as smooth as your old 990 or similar twin let me know.
Just as well I put the deposit on Visa as I have their insurance if they try to get shitty.
I reckon its the engine.
Keep you posted.
Hi all, latest update on same.
Took the bike over to the dealer today; asked them to check front wheel balance as per suggestions on here, it was miles out, original 30g from factory after balancing, 70g !.
I took out their test bike whilst this was going on and it was sweet, hardly any vibes at all at both motorway and twisty road trials...the mechanic took my bike out after wheel balancing and reconed there was still quite a lot of vibes through the engine, I rode it home and concur.
Both the test bike and my own have roughly the same milage approx 1300, so not realy run in but you can definitely tell the difference between the two.
The dealer is contacting KTM UK, and I'm going to give it some miles over the next week to see.
Good dealer in Scotland; trying their best to get it right, hats off. I paid lots for this bike want to get it right.
Keep you posted.
BlueCattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #4161
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
I was on my local KTM shop today and I was asked to bring my 1190 to do some service checks:
It was something about spokes, fuel tank ventilation, steering damper (probably reason of the vibration on the higher speeds) and retrofitting the heat shield under the seat.
Tomorrow I will have some more details about what exactly will be done with the bike when I will leave the bike.
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #4162
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer View Post

Cheers
You can still get a standard model without the electronic package . But if you are looking for the full thing high,weight,off road focus, best to get 1190 r I guess.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #4163
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schussboelie View Post
I just used PlastiDip.
Perfect for small areas and non-destructive.
I think it is some kind of latex based or something so it is flexible.
It's fairly heat-resistant as a buddy of mine used it on his exhaust guard with no issues.
All you need is to degrease the surface area properly and spray it on.
4 or 5 coats and you're all set.
Cheers, ill give that a try next..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #4164
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

1190 adv r offroad

if anyone has any concerns of what you can or cannot do with a 1190 adv r offroad watch this video from 13seconds onwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwYdcRS4raM

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #4165
grizzlyj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Hi folks

Yesterday I was lucky enough to have about half an hour each on an R and then the normal version with leccy damping. Tarmac only. Crikey me likey

The R didn't have the silver foil under the seat, the more squishy standard seat did. The first was borderline too much in my textile suit (air temp was about 29 C), the second still uncomfortable but a bit better. I couldn't tell if it was heat coming through the seat or hot air coming around the sides during the time I had? Any ideas? Moving my thigh out into the air only partially helped so it made me think its coming through the seat, so more reflective stuff might help?

I'm sure Touratech will produce some heatproof crotch protection with a CNC'd pie compartment

I thought the airflow was better with the small R screen, it didn't feel like I had any wind on me until the top of my lid but I am only 5'6".

I liked the way the R rode even just for my bimbling, I like the looks and defo want one. I wonder wether a 2014 model would be worth waiting for to see if KTM can sort the under seat cooker a little better?

Why have I been buying a BM all these years?!?
grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #4166
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I have ridden 4500 km within last 10 days; started from Trieste, to Switzerland passes and than to Stelvio and Grossglockner, to eastern europe and back in Istanbul.

I really fell in love again with the bike; I really liked it; the range, the power and everyrhing.

Except the seat; I have a new theory about the seat heat. When the seat becomes very hot, get off the bike and touch the seat surface; you will see, there is no excessive temperature; but when you go back and sit on the seat, it feels too hot.

I felt too uncomfortable about the seat during this trip, because I guess my weight (95 kg) squeezes the foam a lot, that I am like sitting direct on the base of the seat; it's that hard and very close to the heat source.

When riding long distances around Swiss and Italy passes at 12 to 25 degrees C, I had no heat issues, but still the seat was too hard, uncomfortable.

After I started to ride south and climate becomes warmer, than both of the issues came to my agenda and I have preffered to ride standing frequently.

Accordingly, what I believe will be the remedy to my seat problem is, have the the foam replaced with a harder and more resistant one, so than my weight won't squeeze it and maybe with the help of new aluminum add up from KTM, the heat will stay far lower.

I can not comment how to overcome the heat from the sides, but seat has to be modified or I have to go on a diet.
:-)))))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #4167
GeorgeD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
I can not comment how to overcome the heat from the sides, but seat has to be modified or I have to go on a diet.
Or try the seat from KTM's powerparts. As I read it improves the heat issue and will be more comfortable for you too.
GeorgeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #4168
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Yes, if I won't have to order both of them, why not.
Touratech shows a full size seat in their website, but not yet ready I guess.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #4169
BlueCattledog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
I was on my local KTM shop today and I was asked to bring my 1190 to do some service checks:
It was something about spokes, fuel tank ventilation, steering damper (probably reason of the vibration on the higher speeds) and retrofitting the heat shield under the seat.
Tomorrow I will have some more details about what exactly will be done with the bike when I will leave the bike.
Thanks, will be interesting to find out KTM's retrospect in other parts of Europe. They put the heat shield on under the rider seat, it's self adhesive foam backed foil.
Whats your reconing with regard to the steering damper and the vibration?
The weights were way out on my front tyre, I still think it's a gearing or engine problem on my bike though. It would be nice to get an answer from KTM.
Perhaps it's an ECM flash required, over to them.
BlueCattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #4170
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Wink

Man you guys and the heat issue..

It doesn't bother me but it might in summer..

Here is the ultimate fix...

Buy exhaust wrap and wrap your exhaust!!! At a cost of $30 from eBay.. It's so easily fixed I dunno why people whinge about it so much.. Lol

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin