Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #4366
aus636
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
1190R review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
I made my own review with some general info. Let me know if you think it sucks!

Great review thanks. One question how do you get your video to upload On YouTube to be so clear.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #4367
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
Ouch... thats not how you want to scratch her!
You can get prices from here: http://www.ktmpartsonline.com/
You can go to the part finder page and pick the parts. That will give you an idea.
Next time you will ride it up there right? Its a great ride through Lerderderg!
Thanks for that.. Yeah I wanted to ride it n put the fiancé on the back cos we stayed in daylesford for the night but she insisted on taking the car due to a little rain..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #4368
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Got to sit on the 1190r today, but demo rides cancelled due to heavy rains. I rode my 990 SMR to the dealer so was fresh off that bike when I sat on the 1190. I was surprised to be left kind of cold by the 1190. It just felt too big and heavy for me to think about doing much off road stuff on it. Honestly I felt that gravel roads would be more fun on my SMR since the SMR is lower and lighter and has a shorter wheelbase. I did some gravel stuff a month ago on the SMR and it was a hoot. Of course the SMR has 17 inch cast wheels and shorter travel stiffer suspension, so for real tough off road the Adventure R would be superior....but for that I have my 690r enduro. I thought I might be writing a deposit check for an 1190r and looking to sell my SMR, but no. The 1190 Adventure R is a fantastic bike, but it turns out not to be my cup of tea
The 990 SM(R) is kinda hard to beat. Still stands on top of my list in terms of pure fun.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #4369
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus636 View Post
Great review thanks. One question how do you get your video to upload On YouTube to be so clear.
Youtube has a good description of what format to upload in here:
https://support.google.com/youtube/a..._topic=2888648
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:15 AM   #4370
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
I dont think i can wait until then...
No need since you can upgrade old models. I'm going now for an "old" new @R. Got a good deal and hope for no hidden traps. I will upgrade (or not) next summer depending on the beta-testers judgements

Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #4371
moulin6801
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Thanks for the vide Nerb!

Hey Nerb, thanks for the video. I appreciate your honest feedback on the bike, good and bad, as we wait for it here in USA....
If you make it to Nashville, I am buying your drink!
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #4372
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
I was in Seattle as well......

Originally Posted by Velociraptor
Got to sit on the 1190r today, but demo rides cancelled due to heavy rains. I rode my 990 SMR to the dealer so was fresh off that bike when I sat on the 1190. I was surprised to be left kind of cold by the 1190. It just felt too big and heavy for me to think about doing much off road stuff on it. Honestly I felt that gravel roads would be more fun on my SMR since the SMR is lower and lighter and has a shorter wheelbase. I did some gravel stuff a month ago on the SMR and it was a hoot. Of course the SMR has 17 inch cast wheels and shorter travel stiffer suspension, so for real tough off road the Adventure R would be superior....but for that I have my 690r enduro. I thought I might be writing a deposit check for an 1190r and looking to sell my SMR, but no. The 1190 Adventure R is a fantastic bike, but it turns out not to be my cup of tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
The 990 SM(R) is kinda hard to beat. Still stands on top of my list in terms of pure fun.

I saw the SMR at the dealership, nice bike! Having never ridden one, I can't comment on the capability on or off-road, but I don't know how well it would look at the end of a 2,000 mile gravel road? I would like to try it on the twisties though!

I rode the 990 to the I-90 KTM event as well, alas the rain had other plans for the day. No Demo rides.....I can understand it, it was pouring down! All's well....I'll take some time on Wed. afternoon to go to the next stop and try again to ride the R. It was still a good visit at I-90 as I got to ask questions and check out both bikes in detail. A couple of interesting discoveries..... the seats are interchangeable, so for the vertically challenged (me-30 inch inseam) you can put the 2 piece seat from the Adventure onto the R....seems like it's 1 to 1.5 inches lower. Big difference to me. Puts it down to about where the Touratech low seat put's my "08"990. I typically don't crash much on the 990....but I fall over a lot! Second, I scoped out the ability to mount a high front fender, and barring someone putting together a specific kit I think with a little work the same kit I have on the 990 could be made to work with a spacer or two and some washer bracing. Interestingly enough the Touratech 1190 R was there and they have come up with a couple of pretty cool pieces. They already have a front fender spacer that lifts the OEM front fender about an inch or so....it looked ok, I still prefer the High Fender look personally. However, they also have a new upper section of the crash bars that look outstanding....color matched to the R's Orange bars. It really adds to the looks of the bike, not to mention the protection.

I came away from the session with a couple of takeaways.....first, I'm keeping the 990 for the off-road sessions that can be done on a 990...keep the Husaberg for the tough stuff.......secondly, I have visions of using a 1190 R for the exploration of Alaska and points beyond. Set up like the Touratech 1190 R it looks like the ultimate RTW ride to me. If KTM wants to sponsor the ride, I'd be happy to test the theory.....
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #4373
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
The SMR would be trashed after 2,000 miles on gravel I would be too! For those kinds of rides the 1190R is vastly superior!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #4374
preede
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wink Original KTM Panniers - max 150km/h.....

Last weekend had a great ride with the original Pannier Bags fitted on the subframe for the first time. Inside the pannier bags it indicated to not go faster than 150km/h. At 175km/h the front end started to get light and wobblie... so I guess that is the limit Note this was without a pillion. Any other experiences?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #4375
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
The SMR would be trashed after 2,000 miles on gravel I would be too! For those kinds of rides the 1190R is vastly superior!

No it wouldn't.

Go over to the SM/SMR forum in Road Warriors and do a little reading. Some of those guys do nothing but ride on grave.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #4376
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
No it wouldn't.

Go over to the SM/SMR forum in Road Warriors and do a little reading. Some of those guys do nothing but ride on grave.
OK, by trashed I mean too dirty
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #4377
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus636 View Post
Hey Nerb
Any chance you could post the link? Since updating to ios 7 I can't see embedded vids for some reason
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #4378
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_CH View Post
No need since you can upgrade old models. I'm going now for an "old" new @R. Got a good deal and hope for no hidden traps. I will upgrade (or not) next summer depending on the beta-testers judgements

Not always. Remember the SMT's subframe ?
It was weak, many subframes broke in two pieces. The 2011 (if i remember well) model, got out with a new subframe but none of the previous ones got in a recall.

Unless you want to tell me that you would pay 1-2k bucks for a new subframe on your own.
Alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #4379
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
The initial remark and my reply are both related to the MSC, not any other past or future modification on any given model. 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure can be upgraded with MSC.

Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:04 AM   #4380
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
It was weak, many subframes broke in two pieces. The 2011 (if i remember well) model, got out with a new subframe but none of the previous ones got in a recall.

Unless you want to tell me that you would pay 1-2k bucks for a new subframe on your own.
As long as your subfrale doesn't break, there's no issue.
Mine did break and it was replaced under warranty...
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote