nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #4547
schoals
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
Nice that's good news they are starting to come in
Not available for sale yet these are just early release demos we rode In Austria that shipped here for us to ride around. Customer bikes will be available in a short while tho
Old 10-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #4548
Espada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Schoals: Wow! I hope you enjoy that bike to the max. You are now obligied, of course, to provide full initial, mid-term, and long term ride reports.
Espada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #4549
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoals View Post
FINALLY!!!!!!

Fresh out the box

Agree 100%.......Finally actually showing up

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #4550
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Cruising the island. Wings exhaust sounds great

Designing a heat shield...

Thought is was about time to run in the engine so went to the track...first time ever on the track...Jesas does she accelerate! I'm thankful for the existence of traction control.......and ABS. Only missed my turn once and went into the grass, good she can handle the dirt as well

Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #4551
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Trying to make a decision, I just sold my 950 I have had for 10yrs and am going to sell my KLT 1200 BMW and get either the 1190 or a new GS. I need a good bike for road trips that can go off road also (easy off-road). I like the GS with the cruise and all but I love the 1190. Is the 1190 motor smooth on the road? My 950 was pretty rough at freeway speeds, I need something that can do 500 to 1K in a day and still go exploring/camping. I have my 450exc for real dirt fun and need a bike that do the rest. Has anyone ridden one at freeway speeds (75 to 85mph)?
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #4552
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
Has anyone ridden one at freeway speeds (75 to 85mph)?
i get to ride one next weekend at scuderia so i will let you know, maybe the demo fleet goes to southern cal next
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #4553
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
Trying to make a decision, I just sold my 950 I have had for 10yrs and am going to sell my KLT 1200 BMW and get either the 1190 or a new GS. I need a good bike for road trips that can go off road also (easy off-road). I like the GS with the cruise and all but I love the 1190. Is the 1190 motor smooth on the road? My 950 was pretty rough at freeway speeds, I need something that can do 500 to 1K in a day and still go exploring/camping. I have my 450exc for real dirt fun and need a bike that do the rest. Has anyone ridden one at freeway speeds (75 to 85mph)?
Brought mine from Germany to Spain and had no problem cruising 130kph in the pooring rain! Still had the small R screen and apart from my sleeves get soaked I didn't get much rain on my visor and jacket stayed pretty dry. Did have a seriously sore wrist after 1300k's mainly because off vibrations in the handle bars and not being able to easily hold the grip in one position...ride by wire, so I end up forcing my grip. I since have 3800k's and installed dampers in the bars wich helped w the vibes from the engine. It is after all a big V-twin but since I have not had much else to compare with I couldn't tell you if it's a lot of vibes or not. Also think the engine seems to run smoother the more K's I put on but that could my imagination. Am not using the best oil either so next week I'll put Motul v300 in at 25€/l:o but what's a 100€ every 15000k's. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.
Took her to the track today and although my cornering is pretty shit I was able to keep up pretty well on the straights w the faster bikes out there. Try that w a Beemer! She really brings out the rebel in you I can tell you that for sure, just impossible to hang low on the throttle! What a blast this bike is:)))

Corsica101 screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 12:54 AM
Old 10-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #4554
j3p
WI2FL2NC

Oddometer: 20
How many R versions will make it to the states

I have been told that the first batch of inventory is either on its way to the US or already in the states. My question is how many R units will be built for sale in the 2014 model year?

Seen the bike in person for the first time today and heard it run. Have a open offer to come back next week to ride it. Bike is one of the 50 or so demo bikes that were staged for dealers to ride in Austria.

Put my order in for a R so all I can do is wait until we hear back from KTM.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #4555
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
I rode one (1190R) at Steamboat Springs at the KTM Rally. We never really got over 55 running a small loop off in the country. It's a great bike for what you describe. I ride a 2005 950, and this 1190 motor seemed very smooth but with that nice V-twin growl. Very responsive, but very well controlled by the computer systems. The only complaint you hear from current owners is that the seat is hot. I noticed that after a 20-minute ride. I'm sure an aftermarket solution is on the way for that concern. I rode the R version with the short windscreen with a Shoei RF-1100 helmet -- my standard way or riding the 950. I had not wind issues, but I also don't have a problem on my 950 with a stock screen, so . . . .
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #4556
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3p View Post
I have been told that the first batch of inventory is either on its way to the US or already in the states. My question is how many R units will be built for sale in the 2014 model year?

Seen the bike in person for the first time today and heard it run. Have a open offer to come back next week to ride it. Bike is one of the 50 or so demo bikes that were staged for dealers to ride in Austria.

Put my order in for a R so all I can do is wait until we hear back from KTM.
Congrats
Old 10-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #4557
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
I ride mine around 80-100mph al the time.
Love it!
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #4558
trinitydirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I rode one (1190R) at Steamboat Springs at the KTM Rally. We never really got over 55 running a small loop off in the country. It's a great bike for what you describe. I ride a 2005 950, and this 1190 motor seemed very smooth but with that nice V-twin growl. Very responsive, but very well controlled by the computer systems. The only complaint you hear from current owners is that the seat is hot. I noticed that after a 20-minute ride. I'm sure an aftermarket solution is on the way for that concern. I rode the R version with the short windscreen with a Shoei RF-1100 helmet -- my standard way or riding the 950. I had not wind issues, but I also don't have a problem on my 950 with a stock screen, so . . . .
I got 'er up to a ton with Lafferty:-). Runs awesome! The heat pouring out on the left leg is very noticeable. That being said, if mine gets here in Feb it will be perfect!
trinitydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #4559
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Thanks for the info. I will have to check with my dealer to see if they are getting a demo to ride.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #4560
Larch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
I rode both bikes, several times, on different days, for about two hours per ride. I was riding abroad, and rode at various speeds, including several freeway stints on both bikes at the speeds you mention. The GS has a high frequency vibration in the upper rev range—from memory, between about five and six grand (three different GSs I rode all had the same vibe)—and if like me you sometimes ride for extended periods at these revs, I'd say it's annoying, though many owners seem not to notice it. The 1190, like all bikes, does vibrate, but does not have any annoying vibration. If you ride in sixth gear at 75 mph, this isn't a problem on the GS, but if you ride single track roads at those speeds, you'll want to use a lower gear, and then the GS gets buzzy.

Smooth is a subjective term: if you like to feel a bit isolated from the road, without even being aware of small changes in road surface, the GS is your bike. If, however, you prefer to feel everything (but not in a harsh way, as the WP suspension on the 1190 is superb) then you'll much prefer the KTM.

The GSs cruise control is really good, and KTM should have fitted one to the 1190. I asked one of their senior guys in Austria about this, and he got all defensive with me. I think they are really hard-core dirt guys, and perhaps some of their senior personnel still feel a little uncomfortable dealing with non-macho things, like cruise control and really comfortable seats that don't get hot (and bikes that aren't painted orange!) However, there is an up-side to their rather narrow view of motorcycling: the handling, power, and weight distribution of the 1190 are superior, and to me that's more important in the long run. Also, the GS doesn't win all of the bells and whistles prizes. The electronics menu on the 1190 is more intuitive, and the big digital speedometer is vastly superior to the old traditional (and too tiny for my eyes) analogue dial on the GS.

Some BMW guys will never be happy with a chain drive KTM, nor a dealer that doesn't use wall-to-wall carpeting, and that's absolutely fine with me. With the 1190, KTM have definitely moved closer to the needs of a long-distance road rider, but I get the distinct impression that some of their people would still much rather go racing than deal with people who think cruise control belongs on a motorcycle. I rather like being fussed over myself, and there is much to like about the BMW experience; I'd just rather have the best possible bike I can buy, and for me, that's the KTM.
Larch is offline   Reply With Quote