Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #4561
Audun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
Trying to make a decision, I just sold my 950 I have had for 10yrs and am going to sell my KLT 1200 BMW and get either the 1190 or a new GS. I need a good bike for road trips that can go off road also (easy off-road). I like the GS with the cruise and all but I love the 1190. Is the 1190 motor smooth on the road? My 950 was pretty rough at freeway speeds, I need something that can do 500 to 1K in a day and still go exploring/camping. I have my 450exc for real dirt fun and need a bike that do the rest. Has anyone ridden one at freeway speeds (75 to 85mph)?
The engine is superb. The stock seat and windscreen on the 1190 standard is not, but those are easier to fix than engine. Doing 500-1000k in a day will be painful if you use it out of the box! Buffeting will numb your head and your ass will be painful. I use airhawk II for long runs and have the touring screen. Even the touring screen is not perfect.
I recommend testdriving both bikes. If you like comfort, the 1190 is not the best, but it really kills in the fun factor department.
I have done 12 000 km on the 1190 so i know the pros and cons from my view. It is however extremely important to test drive, as opinions are always different.

Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #4562
rompe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post

Designing a heat shield...

More details, please

:)

Sent from my M9 using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #4563
Jensdccom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Hey. I'm new to the forums however I would like to respond in concern of the freeway speeds. I testdrove a KTM 1190 Adventure a few weeks ago. I love the bike however the windscreen is way to small for everyone taller than 1m75. I, myself, am 1m92 and my head started to hurt after ten minutes of freeway, this because of the turbulence.

A taller windscreen/the touring windscreen is very much advised if you do a lot of freeway.
Jensdccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #4564
rc51owner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensdccom View Post
Hey. I'm new to the forums however I would like to respond in concern of the freeway speeds. I testdrove a KTM 1190 Adventure a few weeks ago. I love the bike however the windscreen is way to small for everyone taller than 1m75. I, myself, am 1m92 and my head started to hurt after ten minutes of freeway, this because of the turbulence.

A taller windscreen/the touring windscreen is very much advised if you do a lot of freeway.

Or as I have found - no screen is better than a crap screen...

Cheers,

M
rc51owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #4565
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
1190 compared to the 800xc?

I scanned through most of this thread and I think I'm ready to jump in. The standard 1190 not the R.

My KTM dealer has offered a decent trade allotment on my current 800XC but I still have a couple questions. I'm going primarily use the 1190 Adventure as a road bike, just like I think KTM designed it to be.

Are there any former 800XC owners on the new 1190 Adventure that could help?

1. The 800 triple is amazingly smooth at any rpm. This is what drew me to the Triumph. Having ridden the 990, 800GS and 1200GS(non-water boxer), the handlebar vibes in the top half of the rpm range on all three eliminated them a couple years ago. How does the 1190 compare?
  2. I bought the 800XC because I wanted a fun road bike that would easily travel gravel and dirt. Will the 1190 Adventure keep me grinning in the twisties and be comfortable enough to do 400-600 miles a day?
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #4566
jadoca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoologan View Post
I got to demo a standard 1190 at MPC in Roseville, CA this weekend.

Holy Shit. Do want.

That is all.
I was there too, very impressive.
jadoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #4567
rompe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
I scanned through most of this thread and I think I'm ready to jump in. The standard 1190 not the R.

My KTM dealer has offered a decent trade allotment on my current 800XC but I still have a couple questions. I'm going primarily use the 1190 Adventure as a road bike, just like I think KTM designed it to be.

1. The 800 triple is amazingly smooth at any rpm. This is what drew me to the Triumph. Having ridden the 990, 800GS and 1200GS(non-water boxer), the handlebar vibes in the top half of the rpm range on all three eliminated them a couple years ago. How does the 1190 compare?
  2. I bought the 800XC because I wanted a fun road bike that would easily travel gravel and dirt. Will the 1190 Adventure keep me grinning in the twisties and be comfortable enough to do 400-600 miles a day?
1 the handlebar and the rest of the bike vibes al high rpm.

2 yes, with the optional confort seat.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #4568
XsilverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:

I have a Tiger 800 roadie and the 1190 roadie. They are totally different bikes in my view, the Tiger is buttery smooth, real easy to ride but never really thrills. The 1190 has the motor to thrill but takes more effort to ride. The 1190 goes a bit further on a tank full when touring, my bigger gripe with the Tiger is its poor range.

Hence I have both. If I had to have one it would probably be the Tiger, mine has Maxton suspension front and rear, so well sorted.
XsilverGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #4569
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:

I recently traded my XC for an 1190 R. The KTM is nowhere near as smooth as the Tiger, especially at high RPM, but it's just the character of the twin over the triple. Its taking a bit of getting used to, but the extra power, better handling and better suspension make the KTM a better tourer IMHO. The brakes are also far better on the KTM.

I'm a bit disappointed in the KTM seat and so far the Tiger seat wins on comfort. Maybe the KTM seat will get better with age. Maybe not.

Pretty happy with my decision to trade up. The KTM is a step up in most areas IMHO. I was especially impressed with little things like the toolkit and manual, which put the Triumph ones to shame. Triumph needs to sort the lack of a rear subframe too.

Hope this helps you make up your mind. Both are great bikes but are a very different ride.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #4570
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by rompe View Post
More details, please

:)

Sent from my M9 using Tapatalk 4
Carbon shield in the making. Made a cardboard template and tried it out for a while and then trimmed it to about half the size. Works a treat. Will make a forward facing airscoop in it as well to move the hot air out even better. Should be ready mañana I think...
Am trying to find a heat camera somewhere to see how much heat it actually radiates next to the seat.
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #4571
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
That's a great idea, to use a heat camera....I wish I knew some group that had an air tunnel so you could have a little control over the environment when testing.
I think most folks will be watching for the results.....
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #4572
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoals View Post
FINALLY!!!!!!

Fresh out the box

So I saw this post and called my local dealer on Saturday. He called me back today and said he has no word on delivery to this area. I'm in Massachusetts. Is it that this region just didn't get deliveries this time of year or was he just being lazy?
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #4573
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrad View Post
So I saw this post and called my local dealer on Saturday. He called me back today and said he has no word on delivery to this area. I'm in Massachusetts. Is it that this region just didn't get deliveries this time of year or was he just being lazy?
Same answers in Texas. Still waiting ! ! ! Really wanting a R.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #4574
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:

Pretty sure she will keep you grinning
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #4575
schoals
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrad View Post
mine is one of the 40 odd bikes that came to the states early (we went to Austria to test ride them and they crated them up and shipped them here) and im not sure exactly when the customer bikes will arrive especially the R version, i will be testing this one in the north GA mountains this sunday

schoals screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 03:44 PM
schoals is offline   Reply With Quote