Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #4591
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,246
I don't like the zip ties and I think it should sit on the inside of the frame to blend into the background more. Also, I don't think it needs to be carbon-look it really just needs to disappear into the background as much as possible.

Just some thoughts. Nice job though!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #4592
iasudoru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
Can't be too much! Haven't paid for it yet:) Pretty sure the guy that made it for me can make a whole batch. It will need a little tweaking and she should be perfect. Problem is I'll be shipping my bike and myself across the pond soon so might run out of time to make a few more
Call to KTM! They are banging their head against the wall!
iasudoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #4593
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post

Genius!
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #4594
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I don't like the zip ties and I think it should sit on the inside of the frame to blend into the background more. Also, I don't think it needs to be carbon-look it really just needs to disappear into the background as much as possible.

Just some thoughts. Nice job though!
That's what I thought too but there's too many wires, clamps, hoses and what have you to put anything. Don't think I will look to shabby after it's finished. Bit of carbon never hurts:) or maybe I should paint Orange stripes on it!?
I could also try and stick it to the frame in order to lose the zip ties but the main objective was for it to do it's job which it does pretty well!
Gotta rush to the patent office now...lol
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #4595
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
That's what I thought too but there's too many wires, clamps, hoses and what have you to put anything. Don't think I will look to shabby after it's finished. Bit of carbon never hurts:) or maybe I should paint Orange stripes on it!?
I could also try and stick it to the frame in order to lose the zip ties but the main objective was for it to do it's job which it does pretty well!
Gotta rush to the patent office now...lol
I like it. I think the carbon fiber look will be the ticket. Zip ties make it an easy on, easy off ! ! !

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #4596
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Is it just me who thinks wind buffeting, vibration, sore butt etc. is just part of riding motorcycles and if you can't handle that then maybe a nice, comfy Prius could be a better choice for you?

I'm not trying to be contentious here, it's just that I really don't expect riding a bike to be all puppies and unicorns and it seems most folks here are looking for exactly that?
Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #4597
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
Is it just me who thinks wind buffeting, vibration, sore butt etc. is just part of riding motorcycles and if you can't handle that then maybe a nice, comfy Prius could be a better choice for you?

I'm not trying to be contentious here, it's just that I really don't expect riding a bike to be all puppies and unicorns and it seems most folks here are looking for exactly that?
Wind buffeting is NOT part of motorcycle riding. It became so when windscreens were installed. If you want to live with that and make it your riding experience, that's fine. Make sure you have great ear plugs, though.

Vibration can be a problem. I haven't found it on my motorcycles yet, but it can be an issue for some people. There are solutions for that, and if so why not fix it? It would be dumb to sell a motorcycle or try to "hard core" through it instead of fixing a solvable problem.

Butt sore is not a motorcycle caused problem. It is exacerbated by it, though. There are solutions that by-pass changing a seat. Go visit your doctor, explain your problem, and obtain instructions. Follow the instructions and you will be fine.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #4598
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Its a f**king motorcycle and a great one at that.

I have done nearly 7000 miles on mine so far since June and I am loving every ride. Its a great bit of kit and does not disappoint.

Each to their own I suppose...........but really there is not much to moan about.
Moto Guzzi Griso
BMW HP4 Competition
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #4599
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Wind buffeting is NOT part of motorcycle riding. It became so when windscreens were installed. If you want to live with that and make it your riding experience, that's fine. Make sure you have great ear plugs, though.

Vibration can be a problem. I haven't found it on my motorcycles yet, but it can be an issue for some people. There are solutions for that, and if so why not fix it? It would be dumb to sell a motorcycle or try to "hard core" through it instead of fixing a solvable problem.

Butt sore is not a motorcycle caused problem. It is exacerbated by it, though. There are solutions that by-pass changing a seat. Go visit your doctor, explain your problem, and obtain instructions. Follow the instructions and you will be fine.
I have the tinted standard screen on my 1190r, there is no wind buffeting for me at 5' 10". I don't use a peaked helmet on road which probably helps. Its all day comfortable at 80/90 mph (and more )

Vibration is not a problem either, even though its a V-Twin. It has a silky delivery all through the rev range and if there is any vibration it can often be sorted by getting the front wheel balanced correctly.

The standard seat on the R works well enough, I have done two 600 mile days on it with no problem. But the PowerParts seat is better, apart from it being heated it also offers more padding and is super comfy.

As I say nearly 7000 happy miles
Moto Guzzi Griso
BMW HP4 Competition
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #4600
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners14 View Post
If it's already been posted......I haven't seen it on the thread yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK57...layer_embedded
great comparison, the purests of the 990 crew seem to knick pick the sh*t out of the 1190 to make out that the 990 is better but, this should put them back in their place..

Also good to see touratech has got on the bandwagon and created something I was contemplating doing myself, utilise the rumbux style crash bars with the existing crash bar system..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #4601
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
It is, with or without a windscreen.

Ride behind a flat backed vehicle, through the turbulence it leaves in its wake, or on an elevated road with strong side winds and then say buffeting is all about the screen.

Quote:
There will always be vibration, it can't be eradicated.

It just has to be lived with. Anyone who can't live with it needs to buy a car.

Quote:
I don't think I'm the one getting all butt hurt over this, defensive reaction speaks far more about hurting butts than just getting on with living with a seat designed more for feedback than comfort.

Physician - heal thyself!

Old 10-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #4602
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
Couldn't agree more. Its a f**king motorcycle and a great one at that.

I have done nearly 7000 miles on mine so far since June and I am loving every ride. Its a great bit of kit and does not disappoint.

Each to their own I suppose...........but really there is not much to moan about.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #4603
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
Trying to make a decision, I just sold my 950 I have had for 10yrs and am going to sell my KLT 1200 BMW and get either the 1190 or a new GS. I need a good bike for road trips that can go off road also (easy off-road). I like the GS with the cruise and all but I love the 1190. Is the 1190 motor smooth on the road? My 950 was pretty rough at freeway speeds, I need something that can do 500 to 1K in a day and still go exploring/camping. I have my 450exc for real dirt fun and need a bike that do the rest. Has anyone ridden one at freeway speeds (75 to 85mph)?
dude get the 1190, i rode the older 1200gsa and had a f650 and a f800 and everyone brags at how that engine is so good.. i didnt see it..
the 1200gsa felt like a boat on 2 wheels and the engine wasnt anywhere near as smooth as the 1190.. plus it had this characteristic of yanking to the left (i think left? or might of been right) when you give it to it and fast change through the gears.. the 1190 is smoother, heaps more power and a lot more comfy onroad as well as kicking butt offroad.. what more could you want? perhaps a drive shaft? maybe.. id prefer a chain though, somehting i could fix without too much drama in the bush or at a country mechanics..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #4604
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

lol +1

BMW try though..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #4605
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
lol +1

BMW try though..
Yes.

They have almost perfected the two-wheeled equivalent of a Prius.