Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #4606
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
It is, with or without a windscreen.

Ride behind a flat backed vehicle, through the turbulence it leaves in its wake, or on an elevated road with strong side winds and then say buffeting is all about the screen.

There will always be vibration, it can't be eradicated.

It just has to be lived with. Anyone who can't live with it needs to buy a car.

I don't think I'm the one getting all butt hurt over this, defensive reaction speaks far more about hurting butts than just getting on with living with a seat designed more for feedback than comfort.

Physician - heal thyself!

Your bike must be out of sorts if "you need to live" with its vibration. Of course there is vibration on motorcycles, but in most bikes it is far from being a problem "you have to live with".

If you've never ridden a motorcycle without a wind screen, you should do it. No buffeting. Of course, there will be buffeting when following other vehicles. You can feel that even in the Prius you seem to covet. But as a rule, it is not the nature of motorcycles. Get rid of the windscreen and stop being a martyr.

And I'm glad you are not butt hurt. You were just acting like it, I suppose.

You should be glad you are not this guy here

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 09:57 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #4607
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Your bike must be out of sorts if "you need to live" with its vibration. Of course there is vibration on motorcycles, but in most bikes it is far from being a problem "you have to live with".
That's the thing, I don't think of it as a problem, just part of riding a motorcycle.

I currently ride a classic Brit twin, a BM four pot, and a thumper, to a greater or lesser extent they all vibrate.

As soon as it hits the States a I intend to get the 1190R, I expect that will have some vibration too.

It is what it is.

All I'm saying is if you can't stand the heat...

Quote:
If you've never ridden a motorcycle without a wind screen, you should do it. No buffeting. Of course, there will be buffeting when following other vehicles. You can feel that even in the Prius you seem to covet. But as a rule, it is not the nature of motorcycles. Get rid of the windscreen and stop being a martyr.
Don't insult me with your Prius coveting bullshit!

We have a couple of SUVs and a minivan (as of three days ago! ).

I'm embarrassed of the minivan, of course, but only because of the buffeting it causes motorcyclists riding in its wake.

Quote:
And I'm glad you are not butt hurt. You were just acting like it, I suppose.

You should be glad you are not this guy here
He's my fake n00b.

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #4608
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Is it just me who thinks wind buffeting, vibration, sore butt etc. is just part of riding motorcycles and if you can't handle that then maybe a nice, comfy Prius could be a better choice for you?

I'm not trying to be contentious here, it's just that I really don't expect riding a bike to be all puppies and unicorns and it seems most folks here are looking for exactly that?

Obviously you haven't ridden a 1190 yet when it's nicely "warmed-up"...I started switching of my engine in front of the red lights (traffic lights dugh:)!) just to cool my leg off...nothing wrong with making the ride a little more bearable...just saying
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #4609
Jensdccom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
Obviously you haven't ridden a 1190 yet when it's nicely "warmed-up"...I started switching of my engine in front of the red lights (traffic lights dugh:)!) just to cool my leg off...nothing wrong with making the ride a little more bearable...just saying
Just a question about your cooling issue. Did you lower the seat or is your seat in the lowest position? I experienced sortlike problems when I test drove a Triumph 800 and is was due to the seat position.

It's because some bikes are designed to let wind pass under the seat to cool the engine.
Jensdccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #4610
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
I used to do that on my 990!

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #4611
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Voilá...well almost. Just giving it a trial and then add carbon look tomorrow so should look like the carbon shields on the Wings exhaust. It works a treat, I can now drive around in town in shorts while the oil is at 95º without melting my skin of my left leg! I might still stick some heat reflective patch, or what ever you call it, on the inside to keep the carbon cooler.
Added a scoop as well to improve fresh air flow in at the same time. Any comments welcome

this is great I would like to buy these too
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #4612
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,920
Luggage question

I thought I read it somewhere in the thread, but wasn't able to find it via search if I did.

I have this luggage on my 990 Dakar. Does the same brackets/luggage (i.e., same part numbers) fit on the 1190?

TIA

wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #4613
preede
n00b

Oddometer: 2
KTM pannier case lock mechanism bad!

Let me first state that I did a 2945KM tour to Philip Island and back in 6 days. It didn't miss a beat and consumed a little bit of oil which it my 990 did as well upto the first 10000km. However the Pannier case lock mechanism are absolutely the worst I have seen. The key gets in with and to turn it to the right (to lock the case) or left to be able to get the case off is a real struggle.... It feels like you are going to break the key...The current status is that both cases now do not come off anymore as I tried to turn around the key to get it unlock mode. Somehow the internal unlock mechanism got decouple from the key turn part and now the key does not want to go in anymore completely after removing it once. Consequence. Once case permanently locked other one not and both can't come off. My dealer ordered new ones. Has anyone seen a threat on this?

preede screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 01:31 PM
preede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #4614
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,343
Walter -
Who makes the panniers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I thought I read it somewhere in the thread, but wasn't able to find it via search if I did.

I have this luggage on my 990 Dakar. Does the same brackets/luggage (i.e., same part numbers) fit on the 1190?

TIA

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #4615
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Apologies if this has been posted already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGuNvDdi0MU

I suspect it might make a bit more sense if you speak/understand French !

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #4616
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,343
Vibration can be an issue - even for people who have ridden a lot.

I started riding in 1962. I cut my teeth on British singles - Velocette Thruxtons, Matchless G50, Norton Manx, Goldstars and 441 Victors so vibration has always been a part of riding - until three years ago. Due to vibration - the frequency, not the amplitude - I had to sell a 950 that I'd spent $3,000 and countless hours putting together. I had to have my right wrist fused in 2010 and the LC8s vibration at 65-85MPH treated the metal bar in my wrist like a tuning fork.

So yes, for me, vibration is definitely an issue. Do I still want an1190? Of course! Will I be able to buy one? Maybe. A 30 to 45 minute ride at freeway speeds will tell the tale. If it can be dampened with Rox isolation risers, I'm good. If it's too much, I'm stuck with BMW.

Quote:
Is it just me who thinks wind buffeting, vibration, sore butt etc. is just part of riding motorcycles and if you can't handle that then maybe a nice, comfy Prius could be a better choice for you?

I'm not trying to be contentious here, it's just that I really don't expect riding a bike to be all puppies and unicorns and it seems most folks here are looking for exactly that?

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #4617
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
These luggages are from SW MOTECH, Germany. You need to buy new rack set and left 45 liter case to use in combination right 37 liters.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #4618
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by preede View Post
Let me first state that I did a 2945KM tour to Philip Island and back in 6 days. It didn't miss a beat and consumed a little bit of oil which it my 990 did as well upto the first 10000km. However the Pannier case lock mechanism are absolutely the worst I have seen. The key gets in with and to turn it to the right (to lock the case) or left to be able to get the case off is a real struggle.... It feels like you are going to break the key...The current status is that both cases now do not come off anymore as I tried to turn around the key to get it unlock mode. Somehow the internal unlock mechanism got decouple from the key turn part and now the key does not want to go in anymore completely after removing it once. Consequence. Once case permanently locked other one not and both can't come off. My dealer ordered new ones. Has anyone seen a threat on this?

The case locks have proved to be a bit of a challenge for me too at times.
I find myself pushing and banging the complete loch assembly or the bottom of the topcase to get them to open or lock.
So far that has always worked for me though, even it sometimes it takes me more time than I would like.
And sometimes they work straight away...
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #4619
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #4620
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schussboelie View Post
The case locks have proved to be a bit of a challenge for me too at times.
I find myself pushing and banging the complete loch assembly or the bottom of the topcase to get them to open or lock.
So far that has always worked for me though, even it sometimes it takes me more time than I would like.
And sometimes they work straight away...
I had guessed this would be the 'case' (no pun intended) when i saw them at the dealership, then saw the probs with getting longer keys and stuff..

Instead of the ktm cases which seemed to be poorly designed and built, I went with the givi trekker 46n and a universal mounting plate.

Much better, fit more in it and cheaper.. overall the box is more solid and the locks are quality..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote