User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #4621
schoals
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
a US rider writes......

rode ours home today the "long way round" about 55 miles taking it easy not really revving it hard or trying to see what its capable of just a gentle ride home like I've owned it for a couple years and trying to remember its break in period and not to over do it just yet (that's for Sundays)
first off its comfy ergo wise for my pie eating 295lbs mass that's had it's fair share of beating's from bike related experiences meaning I cant sit dead center on the bike due to some pelvic damage from a little road race get off 25 years ago I still remember well,

second it's light or it feels light! even my missis at 5"4 and with her short fat hairy legs and tyrannosaurus rex length arms thought she could ride it ok despite only touching one hoof down she maneuvered it around the garage like a pro while i put new fluorescent bulbs up,
third, yes there is some heat from under the seat but its a V twin with an open layout so your gonna have to suck it up, its not bad and i was wearing jeans plus it was 57f on the ride and it didn't bother me I just took the time to remember to see if it was there like others have said,

fourth, the screen works great and I'm a 6 * footer but i would like to fit something with a little more protection soon just because I really like to ride with my visor open as much as poss and the stock screen wont allow this comfortably for me but I'm also a pussy,
i did play with the settings a little but in 50 odd miles it's hard to really say what difference they would have on anything long term but you cant feel a difference, the biggest surprise for me and something I've not seen much about was how easy it is to ride gently in traffic, not even going above 3k rpm it just pulls smooth and when i needed to do a fast lane change it did it with ease and no judderyness (not sure that's a an actual word but its best said with a northern UK accent) just smooth point and squirt kinda stuff!

anyway I will be taking it back and forth to work from now on and to the north GA hills Sunday coz it's where i like to start a ride and me mates always seem to be hanging around there shooting the shit (and sometimes the wildlife) and looking for ideas for a destination with food involved and this Sunday will be no different

excuse the mess the cleaning lady has been on vacation

my puppy "Big Norm" wasn't to impressed when i got home he put his nose right on the header pipe as i rode in the garage

the worlds most expensive dog bed

Old 10-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #4622
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
...Any comments welcome...
Just a thought to help blend in...some paint to match the frame like this.....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #4623
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Just a thought to help blend in...some paint to match the frame like this.....
Yeah doesn't look too bad but maybe a bit overkill? lets see how it turns out with the carbon look, will blend in better than this grey black unfinished carbon I think...
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #4624
Toors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
Yeah doesn't look too bad but maybe a bit overkill? lets see how it turns out with the carbon look, will blend in better than this grey black unfinished carbon I think...

wont it fit on the inside of the frame?
Toors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #4625
XsilverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by preede View Post
Let me first state that I did a 2945KM tour to Philip Island and back in 6 days. It didn't miss a beat and consumed a little bit of oil which it my 990 did as well upto the first 10000km. However the Pannier case lock mechanism are absolutely the worst I have seen. The key gets in with and to turn it to the right (to lock the case) or left to be able to get the case off is a real struggle.... It feels like you are going to break the key...The current status is that both cases now do not come off anymore as I tried to turn around the key to get it unlock mode. Somehow the internal unlock mechanism got decouple from the key turn part and now the key does not want to go in anymore completely after removing it once. Consequence. Once case permanently locked other one not and both can't come off. My dealer ordered new ones. Has anyone seen a threat on this?

I've had problems with my top case (TC). One time I couldn't turn the key and when I did it wouldn't turn back. I have visions of getting recovered.

I did manage to get the TC off back at home and found there to be two screws inside, effectively either side of the lock assembly. I unscrewed both screws a little. This frees the part of the lock that slides from side to side, and now the case opens real easy.

I can only image that dirt makes its way inside and jams the sliding part which is probably just a gnats to large.

Sorry no pictures at the moment.
XsilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #4626
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
These luggages are from SW MOTECH, Germany. You need to buy new rack set and left 45 liter case to use in combination right 37 liters.
Thanks for the news; even though I didn't like it
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #4627
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Looking great Umit, where did you go?
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #4628
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Thanks my friend, I have ridden a 4500 km at the end of August; have written a road report at www.gezginleriz.biz but didn't post here, it's in Turkish. I have really enjoyed the 1190. :-)))

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
umitc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #4629
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I thought I read it somewhere in the thread, but wasn't able to find it via search if I did.

I have this luggage on my 990 Dakar. Does the same brackets/luggage (i.e., same part numbers) fit on the 1190?

TIA

The SW-MOTECH carriers will not move from model to model. They are all designed for each motorcycle. The cases on the other hand, they will go onto the 1190 carrier along with the adapters on your current 990 carriers. They are 4 spools and a latch receiver - see pic below. Hold onto those.

The proper carrier for the 1190 is this one:

The part number is KFT.04.333.20000.B

Kevin
Old 10-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #4630
Daveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Thanks my friend, I have ridden a 4500 km at the end of August; have written a road report at www.gezginleriz.biz but didn't post here, it's in Turkish. I have really enjoyed the 1190. :-)))

Great looking bike! Anyone know what type of crashbars these are?

Daveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #4631
nvdesertrat
Nevada Desert Rat

Oddometer: 208
You must be one of the KTM Dealers that went to Austria ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoals View Post
a US rider writes......

rode ours home today the "long way round" about 55 miles taking it easy not really revving it hard or trying to see what its capable of just a gentle ride home like I've owned it for a couple years and trying to remember its break in period and not to over do it just yet (that's for Sundays)
first off its comfy ergo wise for my pie eating 295lbs mass that's had it's fair share of beating's from bike related experiences meaning I cant sit dead center on the bike due to some pelvic damage from a little road race get off 25 years ago I still remember well,

second it's light or it feels light! even my missis at 5"4 and with her short fat hairy legs and tyrannosaurus rex length arms thought she could ride it ok despite only touching one hoof down she maneuvered it around the garage like a pro while i put new fluorescent bulbs up,
third, yes there is some heat from under the seat but its a V twin with an open layout so your gonna have to suck it up, its not bad and i was wearing jeans plus it was 57f on the ride and it didn't bother me I just took the time to remember to see if it was there like others have said,

fourth, the screen works great and I'm a 6 * footer but i would like to fit something with a little more protection soon just because I really like to ride with my visor open as much as poss and the stock screen wont allow this comfortably for me but I'm also a pussy,
i did play with the settings a little but in 50 odd miles it's hard to really say what difference they would have on anything long term but you cant feel a difference, the biggest surprise for me and something I've not seen much about was how easy it is to ride gently in traffic, not even going above 3k rpm it just pulls smooth and when i needed to do a fast lane change it did it with ease and no judderyness (not sure that's a an actual word but its best said with a northern UK accent) just smooth point and squirt kinda stuff!

anyway I will be taking it back and forth to work from now on and to the north GA hills Sunday coz it's where i like to start a ride and me mates always seem to be hanging around there shooting the shit (and sometimes the wildlife) and looking for ideas for a destination with food involved and this Sunday will be no different

excuse the mess the cleaning lady has been on vacation

my puppy "Big Norm" wasn't to impressed when i got home he put his nose right on the header pipe as i rode in the garage

the worlds most expensive dog bed

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
nvdesertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #4632
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman View Post
Great looking bike! Anyone know what type of crashbars these are?

Thanks a lot Daveman, these are from Hepco Becker

umitc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #4633
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,040
anyone have issues or experience with 1190 water pump seals? apparently RC8 owners are getting leaks into the oil. they have changed the specs but it is the same overall design
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #4634
schoals
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdesertrat View Post
You must be one of the KTM Dealers that went to Austria ?
yes sir that would be correct, Ive owned GS 1100s 1150S and 12s Super 10s and tigers, a 950 and a 990 KTM plus a couple other oddities (Guzzi Quota and Cagiva E) so this Ive been looking forward too a lot!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #4635
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
I had guessed this would be the 'case' (no pun intended) when i saw them at the dealership, then saw the probs with getting longer keys and stuff..

Instead of the ktm cases which seemed to be poorly designed and built, I went with the givi trekker 46n and a universal mounting plate.

Much better, fit more in it and cheaper.. overall the box is more solid and the locks are quality..
Which KTM panniers you talking about? The rugged alu ones or the more civilised ones with the black front/back?
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote