Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #4846
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espada View Post
I was going to say that it was the angle in the second (larger) picture, but I think you are right. It looks like the larger picture represents a bike with fork tubes in line with the axle, and the smaller picture represents a bike with the axle in front of the fork tubes.

The larger picture was taken at the 2013 KTM USA Rally. It might be one of the changes for the 2014 bikes.
I think its just the photo.. or maybe concept model in the first smaller pic..

My one is inline with the forks as per the pic below

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #4847
Espada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
I think its just the photo.. or maybe concept model in the first smaller pic..

My one is inline with the forks as per the pic below
If that is the case, then I suppose we should expect slightly snappier handling, and a little better front end feel with the axle in line with the fork legs vice in front of the fork legs. Better ground clearance too, if the legs are the same length in the two pictures posted.
Espada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #4848
mobileman
West Lothian

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espada View Post
If that is the case, then I suppose we should expect slightly snappier handling, and a little better front end feel with the axle in line with the fork legs vice in front of the fork legs. Better ground clearance too, if the legs are the same length in the two pictures posted.
I can answer this one for you. My 1190R has the axle inline with the forks, and it was ordered before the bike was officially launched, so first batch of production.

I do have the pullout from Bike magazine that was issued months before the bike hit the market, and it shows the R has the axle in front of the line of the forks. This picture also has the round mirrors in it.

My conclusion would be this was final prototype pictures, and the production units have all had the axle inline with the forks since day one.

I must add my bike hasn't missed a beat even though it was off the line early, and i love it to bits!!
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #4849
mobileman
West Lothian

Oddometer: 35
Also, just to chuck my thoughts in on electronics and their place on bikes.

I learnt to ride a bike when i was 7 (Yamaha DT 175mx), the same time i learnt to drive a tractor. I was driving (and wrecking) cars by the time i was 8, the joys of being lucky enough to grow up on my dads farm. My dad and i built our own off road track, which we used on two wheelers, trikes and quads. Whilst this certainly doesn't make me a biking god i would like to think i have enough miles and experience to be considered a decent rider, and i can "feel" a bike reasonably well after years of off road, and growing up not being able to afford to change tyres until you saw the threads!!

I loved my 950, and i have ridden bikes over the years with electronics at early stages and really didn't like them. My 1190 though is so different, the electronics don't spoil my enjoyment at all, all they do is keep me safer. In sports mode i can lift the front wheel, slide the backend a bit when hard on the brakes into a corner, and basically have a great time. In street mode i feel i can cruise about in any condition and still rip past any cars i want. Whilst rain mode has been tested in monsoon condition (i live in Scotland, so its easy to find heavy rain!!) and felt just right.

I have also used it off road, and both the traction control and ABS did just what they say they should. And even after that i can switch it all off, brilliant!!

I have driven cars with 120k plus miles on them with traction control and ABS, it all works fine. These are cars that have seen many Scottish winters and therefore our evil road salt, that destroys any metal known to man. My bike will never see that shit, so i am happy that the electronics should work as planned for a long time.

I must admit as well that, despite my years of riding and reasonable skills, i have already booked to get MSC added to my bike at its next service. My thoughts behind this is i cant stop a bike dead in a corner, but this system can. I cant brake at full pressure whilst the pegs are nearly touching, but this system can.

I have titanium pins in my leg and nerve damage in my spine from an accident 9 years ago, caused when a Isuzu Trooper drove straight into me on a country road. I braked as hard as i could, but couldn't turn for the fact i was braking and the driver cut right across my path. It was his fault, everyone following said there was nothing i could do, and i know i was lucky to survive the accident. I am not saying 100% that MSC could have saved me in this case, but i will take anything that doesn't interfere with my fun, works quicker and better than I can, and may help keep me alive to have that fun for longer.

Hey, each to his own regards the electronics, but i know my wife (who was following and saw my crash, and the aftermath where she thought i was dead) will not argue with the fact my bike will be even more less "crashable" after its software update

Just my thoughts, doesn't mean i am right
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #4850
motocityktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
She is almost ready for the weekend!

motocityktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #4851
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileman View Post

I learnt to ride a bike when i was 7 (Yamaha DT 175mx), the same time i learnt to drive a tractor. I was driving (and wrecking) cars by the time i was 8, the joys of being lucky enough to grow up on my dads farm. My dad and i built our own off road track, which we used on two wheelers, trikes and quads. Whilst this certainly doesn't make me a biking god i would like to think i have enough miles and experience to be considered a decent rider, and i can "feel" a bike reasonably well after years of off road, and growing up not being able to afford to change tyres until you saw the threads!!

I loved my 950, and i have ridden bikes over the years with electronics at early stages and really didn't like them. My 1190 though is so different, the electronics don't spoil my enjoyment at all, all they do is keep me safer. In sports mode i can lift the front wheel, slide the backend a bit when hard on the brakes into a corner, and basically have a great time. In street mode i feel i can cruise about in any condition and still rip past any cars i want. Whilst rain mode has been tested in monsoon condition (i live in Scotland, so its easy to find heavy rain!!) and felt just right.

I have also used it off road, and both the traction control and ABS did just what they say they should. And even after that i can switch it all off, brilliant!!

I have driven cars with 120k plus miles on them with traction control and ABS, it all works fine. These are cars that have seen many Scottish winters and therefore our evil road salt, that destroys any metal known to man. My bike will never see that shit, so i am happy that the electronics should work as planned for a long time.

I must admit as well that, despite my years of riding and reasonable skills, i have already booked to get MSC added to my bike at its next service. My thoughts behind this is i cant stop a bike dead in a corner, but this system can. I cant brake at full pressure whilst the pegs are nearly touching, but this system can.

I have titanium pins in my leg and nerve damage in my spine from an accident 9 years ago, caused when a Isuzu Trooper drove straight into me on a country road. I braked as hard as i could, but couldn't turn for the fact i was braking and the driver cut right across my path. It was his fault, everyone following said there was nothing i could do, and i know i was lucky to survive the accident. I am not saying 100% that MSC could have saved me in this case, but i will take anything that doesn't interfere with my fun, works quicker and better than I can, and may help keep me alive to have that fun for longer.

Hey, each to his own regards the electronics, but i know my wife (who was following and saw my crash, and the aftermath where she thought i was dead) will not argue with the fact my bike will be even more less "crashable" after its software update

Twenty-eight posts in nearly eight years on the site?

You should post more mate!

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #4852
BigMan73
Binary Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:

+1

One of the better posts I've read!
Suzuki V-Strom (Stromtrooper) Wiki
BigMan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #4853
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,011

An action shot, stolen from girls and bikes, but I though it would fit in well here! The KTM appears good in the sand !

Old 11-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #4854
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:

Obviously some intelligence behind this post, not like some of the others !
Old 11-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #4855
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
I have a set of wolfman's bought (well bday present) specifically for this bike, I'm contemplating getting the KTM pannier rack or waiting for the wolfman specific rack.. What have you gone for? and how do they sit on the bike?

Cheers,
The standard rack on my 990 was perfect.

I don't have the 1190 yet, being in Yankistan, so can only refer back to that, but the Wolfman luggage is not just bloody brilliant, it is also very flexible and adaptable.

I could even secure my (birthday present!) Wolfman Expedition duffle bag tightly, safely and comfortably to my 77 Bonnie's original rack!

So I figure whichever way you go you'll be safe.

P.S. When you fit the racks let me know which ones and how it works out!

Old 11-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #4856
schoals
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
if you need that much luggage for a "weekend" have you considered http://gorving.com/ instead of adv rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocityktm View Post
She is almost ready for the weekend!

Old 11-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #4857
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoals View Post
if you need that much luggage for a "weekend" have you considered http://gorving.com/ instead of adv rider
I don't understand the post....it's pictures of a bike with hard luggage? You'd think it more appropriate if he had no luggage at all maybe? Maybe he should pick up a sandwich bag and put some grapes in it, strap it on, and then he'd be ready for your kind of weekend setup? When are you guys going to figure out that no one finds these kinds of posts humorous? It's insulting and maybe you should consider keeping your insults and sarcasm to yourself.

Now then.....my soapbox is getting slippery, and I'm going to take my ball and go home!
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #4858
schoals
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners14 View Post
I don't understand the post....it's pictures of a bike with hard luggage? You'd think it more appropriate if he had no luggage at all maybe? Maybe he should pick up a sandwich bag and put some grapes in it, strap it on, and then he'd be ready for your kind of weekend setup? When are you guys going to figure out that no one finds these kinds of posts humorous? It's insulting and maybe you should consider keeping your insults and sarcasm to yourself.

Now then.....my soapbox is getting slippery, and I'm going to take my ball and go home!
somebody needs a vanilla late mocha this morning
Old 11-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #4859
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Talking of luggage...

The.tankbag looks the same as the 990 bag, which I have. Could someone post a shot of the base without the bag, please.

Have they just cut out a petrol cap sized hole in the middle or is there more to it?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #4860
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners14 View Post
I don't understand the post....it's pictures of a bike with hard luggage? You'd think it more appropriate if he had no luggage at all maybe? ... When are you guys going to figure out that no one finds these kinds of posts humorous?
You have to understand that many of us find this behavior puzzling and a little humorous. A person spends a boatload of cash to purchase a high performance motorcycle and then the first thing they do is load it up with so much crap that it handles no better than a Harley Davidson Road King or http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html Sportsmobile. So much for Ready to Race.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote