Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #4861
wsmc831
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
You have to understand that many of us find this behavior puzzling and a little humorous. A person spends a boatload of cash to purchase a high performance motorcycle and then the first thing they do is load it up with so much crap that it handles no better than a Harley Davidson Road King or http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html Sportsmobile. So much for Ready to Race.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Maybe if you did some touring it might make sense to you. I spent 10 days in the Alps this summer on a loaded down 1200 Multistrada, with a loaded down 1190 Adv and a loaded down Bmw 800. They all handled exceptionally well, barely noticed the luggage. Of course, I have no experience with Harleys so I don't know how they handle.

I can't imagine not touring, with luggage...great way to see the world, plus riding to Starbucks every day would be very boring, imop.
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #4862
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Maybe if you did some touring it might make sense to you. I spent 10 days in the Alps this summer on a loaded down 1200 Multistrada, with a loaded down 1190 Adv and a loaded down Bmw 800. They all handled exceptionally well, barely noticed the luggage. Of course, I have no experience with Harleys so I don't know how they handle.

I can't imagine not touring, with luggage...great way to see the world, plus riding to Starbucks every day would be very boring, imop.
+1

And the Road King is not a bad tourer at all...

Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #4863
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,173
Does anyone ever think beyond the first thing that their keyboard spouts out?

There could be many reasons. With a relatively new bike and new luggage systems he may be trying out his recent purchase. His pillion may like the security of the top box or want to take all her shoes for the weekend.
If you have the luggage, why not take it. The bike will still outperform the rider.

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl screwed with this post 11-09-2013 at 10:57 AM
sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #4864
Bonsai Elephant
Barrus Vegrandis

Oddometer: 18,625
What's worse, a bunch of hardbags on an adventure bike or a bunch of windbags on a website about adventure bikes?

Old 11-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #4865
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Nice try on the way down......

Originally Posted by 4corners14
I don't understand the post....it's pictures of a bike with hard luggage? You'd think it more appropriate if he had no luggage at all maybe? Maybe he should pick up a sandwich bag and put some grapes in it, strap it on, and then he'd be ready for your kind of weekend setup? When are you guys going to figure out that no one finds these kinds of posts humorous? It's insulting and maybe you should consider keeping your insults and sarcasm to yourself.

Now then.....my soapbox is getting slippery, and I'm going to take my ball and go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoals View Post
somebody needs a vanilla late mocha this morning
I don't drink coffee.....and it's not me you should be apologizing to. But thanks for the offer.
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #4866
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Worse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
What's worse, a bunch of hardbags on an adventure bike or a bunch of windbags on a website about adventure bikes?

Well....there's nothing wrong with the hard bags.....so ...I'll go with the second choice. The worse one is the one based on "what I think is best , so if you don't do it exactly the way I think it should be done....I think I'll just publicly insult you and say you should be doing it my way or you're just stupid or should pick another hobby"

I'd say that's the worst of the two choices. Wind bag? Maybe
Old 11-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #4867
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

I think it handles great.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
You have to understand that many of us find this behavior puzzling and a little humorous. A person spends a boatload of cash to purchase a high performance motorcycle and then the first thing they do is load it up with so much crap that it handles no better than a Harley Davidson Road King or http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html Sportsmobile. So much for Ready to Race.

Actually, it still handles great fully loaded. The 990 made it over all three of the BRD's this summer packing more stuff than it would have liked. It's gone places many thought it couldn't and I don't remember seeing any Harley's? It takes a bit of kit if you're going to live off the bike for two weeks at a time. It's not "crap" if it's what you need at the time, or the tool or part that gets you or a buddy out of the hills. If you find it puzzling, ask the rider why. If you find it humorous, then it indicates you think you're better than they are. Do you find that puzzling, or just humorous?
Old 11-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #4868
schoals
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Discretion is the better part of valor
Old 11-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #4869
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Maybe if you did some touring it might make sense to you. I spent 10 days in the Alps ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_CH View Post
+1

And the Road King is not a bad tourer at all...
The responses are more enlightening than you can imagine.

Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #4870
Sbushong1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post

This was a laugh out loud enjoyable moment for me and my wife. Brilliant. Cheers!!!
Sbushong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #4871
Blue Skies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15

[/QUOTE]
Maybe my experience can offer a little perspective re hard soft bags and what "adventure riding" (rapidly becoming just a cliché) means. After a lifetime on sports bikes I was talked into riding across Russia on KLRs back in 2004. London to Kirkenes (far north Norway), entering Russia near Murmansk, then 20,000 kms over 3 months in Russia, mostly camping in forests and farmland except when in the cities, finishing up in Vladivostok with a short detour into Mongolia along the way. Brilliant trip, wonderful people, and not all that hard to do (I was 53 at the time). At times we had to carry food and water for up to 10 days, and needed security in the cities, so the big top loading aluminium panniers were a godsend, and even though both my mates hurt ankles on the hard boxes in low speed get offs on muddy tracks, we would still use them again. You simply cannot do a trip like that without carrying a lot of stuff. You save weight by taking a smaller bike, and you simply do not need pin sharp enduro handling. It's not the Dakar, it's exploring a huge, fascinating and exotic country. However, back in Oz I decided I liked this dirt thing, so swapped the KLR for a DR and do lots of trips into the bush on tight trails, and I use soft luggage, mainly so I don't hurt my ankles during my frequent offs. Ultimately all bikes are adventure bikes, sometimes you need to carry stuff, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you might need a big KTM lightly loaded, sometimes a humble KLR loaded to the gills is perfect.
What am I doing on this forum? Just sold my R1 and ordered a 2014 KTM 1190 std. The test bike impressed me mightily, but still think it's too big and complex for riding through Africa, and too heavy (and expensive) to pick up on difficult trails back home. Oh, and I will set it up to use soft and hard panniers as needed. Sorry this is a bit long ...
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #4872
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
I have a set of wolfman's bought (well bday present) specifically for this bike, I'm contemplating getting the KTM pannier rack or waiting for the wolfman specific rack.. What have you gone for? and how do they sit on the bike?

Cheers,
I went with the KTM HardParts racks for my Wolfman expedition bags s_r, and the nifty tool tray as well. Bolt straight up and you cold lift the bike with them without a worry.

And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #4873
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I just put a deposit on a 2014 adv R. My dealer who is an old mate gave me a free set of the alu panniers and I have soft wolf man bags. I want the hard bags cause I was robbed while camping in Malaysia last time I went up into the jungle and I am not gonna have that happen again. Hard bags will sort that. Love my soft bags. Hate thieving bastidges.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #4874
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners14 View Post
I don't understand the post....it's pictures of a bike with hard luggage? You'd think it more appropriate if he had no luggage at all maybe? Maybe he should pick up a sandwich bag and put some grapes in it, strap it on, and then he'd be ready for your kind of weekend setup? When are you guys going to figure out that no one finds these kinds of posts humorous? It's insulting and maybe you should consider keeping your insults and sarcasm to yourself.

Now then.....my soapbox is getting slippery, and I'm going to take my ball and go home!
LOL Maybe but I found your post humorous!!
(find/replace popcorn with grapes) haha

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #4875
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem View Post
I went with the KTM HardParts racks for my Wolfman expedition bags s_r, and the nifty tool tray as well. Bolt straight up and you cold lift the bike with them without a worry.

Awesome looks great.. Thanks for that Bigem.. Do they fit well to them? or a little loose/after thought? (the wolfmans to the rack I mean)

Cheers...

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote