ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #5161
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbutt View Post
Wise words I was scared to offer ,,, paper filters FILTER but oiled foam largely relies on the inertia of the dust particle having it crash into the sticky oil rather than find its way through a passage in the foam....for this reason I left the paper element and only very very lightly oiled the minimal area new foam piece supplied later . it will clog rapidly.
I will leave the stock paper in too and that is why I was trying to figure out where how the leak is occuring. I am under the impression that the box itself must be getting flexed and that is causing the leaks. Making 150 hp requires a lot of "suck" too. Am I right about the flexing and if so does anyone know how this might happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #5162
rompe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
I have
Trip1
Fuel consumption 1
Fuel Range
Air Temp
Odometer

The mode is visible above the clock, so useless in the favorites.
I wanted the oil temp in the favorites in place of air temp, but it wont let me put it there. I hope that is fixed in an update.

In my case the reasin why I have the engine mode in favs its more about been able of a quick change of engine and dumping. As you say, for informative purposes, this info it's already there.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #5163
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Pissed Where did you get that impression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
I will leave the stock paper in too and that is why I was trying to figure out where how the leak is occuring. I am under the impression that the box itself must be getting flexed and that is causing the leaks. Making 150 hp requires a lot of "suck" too. Am I right about the flexing and if so does anyone know how this might happen?

From the photographic evidence it looks like the dust and bugs are bypassing the pre-filter, filter itself and going over the skimpy partition wall. The airbox looks fairly stout and has six or more screws holding the lid to the box itself.

I am very interested to hear from Low Speed High Drag what his 1190's airbox looks like. The uni- filter kit includes a foam gasket to stop the lid from leaking air, dust, bugs from getting inside . If in fact any grease, tape, foam or rubber gasket, silastic can seal the lid then your paper or foam filer can work as designed. If it is the lid at all.

My bike should be hear in a few weeks and isnt going in any dust
issue is resolved.

Lastly I offer my condolences to all those who have been bitten by this . I would be
Old 11-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #5164
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Thx. Should we start a new thread about this? My goal is to have my bike breath clean from the start.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #5165
The "OC"
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by veesquared View Post
From the photographic evidence it looks like the dust and bugs are bypassing the pre-filter, filter itself and going over the skimpy partition wall. The airbox looks fairly stout and has six or more screws holding the lid to the box itself.

I am very interested to hear from Low Speed High Drag what his 1190's airbox looks like. The uni- filter kit includes a foam gasket to stop the lid from leaking air, dust, bugs from getting inside . If in fact any grease, tape, foam or rubber gasket, silastic can seal the lid then your paper or foam filer can work as designed. If it is the lid at all.

My bike should be hear in a few weeks and isnt going in any dust
issue is resolved.

Lastly I offer my condolences to all those who have been bitten by this . I would be
Have done 5000kms with the 1190R , did about 1000kms on dirt. Unifilters worked great. Kept all dust out of the airbox.
The "OC" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #5166
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Airbox leakage on the 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
Thx. Should we start a new thread about this? My goal is to have my bike breath clean from the start.

I'm sure we'll be hearing plenty about this from our fellow owners overseas and shortly. Evidently KTM didn't test in dusty conditions enough to uncover this flaw or something got left out. As I said, feeling bad for those going through this.

I own a 2008 ktm 690 and own about three different types of foam filters besides the original paper. I'm going to wait this time before throwing a bunch of " solutions" at it that may or may not work. I'd have to say we lucked out in the States by not being the first of the adoptees of what I hope will be thebest bike I've ever owned. From my test ride I can already say it is the easiet to ride.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #5167
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for your information .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "OC" View Post
Have done 5000kms with the 1190R , did about 1000kms on dirt. Unifilters worked great. Kept all dust out of the airbox.
Some more info please. How dusty , were you riding with others and if so what posistion were you in the group and how close were you to the person ahead.

I rode part of theGreat Divide Ride this past summer under very dusty conditions and ended up staying in back of the ride leader by nearly a half mile to avoid choking mybikeand myself. Thats why I ask. Thanks again. BTW very happy to hear this.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #5168
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Oddometer: 148
I'm in the middle of servicing my air filter for the first time right now (2500 miles +/- 500 miles off-road). Arizona can serve up more dust than you can shake a stick at.

I can happily report that the air filter did a great job of keeping the environment on the outside. There was definitely mud/dirt/bugs/rocks in the bottom of the air box in front of the filter. There was a very minimal amount of trace dust (less than I expected to see) that made it past the filter. Pics below..

Old 11-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #5169
Audun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
I have
Trip1
Fuel consumption 1
Fuel Range
Air Temp
Odometer

The mode is visible above the clock, so useless in the favorites.
I wanted the oil temp in the favorites in place of air temp, but it wont let me put it there. I hope that is fixed in an update.
Yes the mode is above the clock, but having it as favorite enables quick access to change mode. I agree about the oil temp. No update for that yet.

Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #5170
Darth
Darth

Oddometer: 30
1190Air filter - Don't forget water!

[QUOTE=veesquared;22884834]Some more info please. How dusty , were you riding with others and if so what posistion were you in the group and how close were you to the person ahead.

For all on this thread - dust was not the only problem on the 1190 Adv Filter. Water is another one - not only on river crossings, but also just spraying the cleaning hose in the wrong place - due to the air intakes design. The following URL gives some perspective - there are others if you search:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...opic=132418.20

The Unifilter kit helps this problem by pre-filtering the air intakes - I think also KTM has a recall for that fix. Anyway for this and other issues I just installed the Unifilter kit. But I hear the cautions on Foam vs paper. I guess with most Adventure bike issues it's just a question of balancing what you want to do with the bike vs how much time you can put into careful maintenance!!.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #5171
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
[QUOTE=Darth;22885363]
Quote:
Originally Posted by veesquared View Post
Some more info please. How dusty , were you riding with others and if so what posistion were you in the group and how close were you to the person ahead.

For all on this thread - dust was not the only problem on the 1190 Adv Filter. Water is another one - not only on river crossings, but also just spraying the cleaning hose in the wrong place - due to the air intakes design. The following URL gives some perspective - there are others if you search:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...opic=132418.20

The Unifilter kit helps this problem by pre-filtering the air intakes - I think also KTM has a recall for that fix. Anyway for this and other issues I just installed the Unifilter kit. But I hear the cautions on Foam vs paper. I guess with most Adventure bike issues it's just a question of balancing what you want to do with the bike vs how much time you can put into careful maintenance!!.
I had a unifilter pre-filter in my Tiger XC and it did an awesome job of filtering out the sort of dust that killed my 1190R, so I'm in the oiled foam camp. After 10k kms, some of which was in very dusty conditions, the internal filter was spotless. Downside was because its oiled it was messy to deal with and filter oil gets all over the place where the filter replaced the oem snorkel.

I get the feeling that the 1190 leaks dust due to the pressure put on both the pre and regular filter during time of high throttle usage, possibly due by the ram intake design. Not necessarily the air box seals, as apparently mine were grease sealed. I heard from my dealer that the 2014s have had this fixed, though I don't have details. Cold comfort for me though.

I was riding through quite a bit of dust kicked up by 4WDs at times, and some kicked up by bikes. At times it was hard to see ahead and once I smacked into a cattle grid concrete edge as it jumped out of a dust cloud. This is just the sort of riding that the bike should take in its stride.

Luckily I hadn't really done much riding in dust and not a great deal afterwards. Enough to skew the valves though.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #5172
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
[QUOTE=FuzzyDunlop;22885516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post

I had a unifilter pre-filter in my Tiger XC and it did an awesome job of filtering out the sort of dust that killed my 1190R, so I'm in the oiled foam camp. After 10k kms, some of which was in very dusty conditions, the internal filter was spotless. Downside was because its oiled it was messy to deal with and filter oil gets all over the place where the filter replaced the oem snorkel.
Not to be a dick here but the sign of a good filter is it is dirty. The other thing that most people don't realize is a dirty filter cleans the air better than a clean filter. The downside of a dirty filter is restricted air flow. Competition people go for foam oiled filters because they flow more air and more dirt, but they can be washed out at service . when it is all about performance and you are prepared to rebuild engines then getting grit into the engine is not the major concern.

In most cases a paper filter will be better at protecting your engine and not voiding your warranty.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #5173
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
So can anyone tell me if the TB's are spaced the same as they were on the 950/990's?
I realize that they mount differently but I am wondering how difficult it would be to simply install my Rottweiler intake system off my 12 SMT. Seems like if the throttle body spacing is the same it would only be a matter of simply making the RW a bolt on instead of a clamp on mount. At least till they come out with one of their own.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #5174
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info

Not good news at all. My bike should be here in a few weeks time . I plan on taking it apart and comparing to the pictures you all have provided. Looks like Low speeds High Drag leaked some as well. Even if it a small amount it all adds up, planning a round trip to BC from Tn this coming spring summer and dont want this happening as i know I will encounter dust and maybe a lot of it.

I cant say I've escaped this either as I had a Paper filter on a BMW Dakar collapse when water soaked it allowing dirt into my engine. That was my fault because i had cut the snorkel looking for more power following the advice of the F650 chaingang webpage. Three days of hard rain didnt help .

I will report if there is a change In the design of either the snorkels or airbox.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #5175
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
[QUOTE=Bails;22885600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post

Not to be a dick here but the sign of a good filter is it is dirty. The other thing that most people don't realize is a dirty filter cleans the air better than a clean filter. The downside of a dirty filter is restricted air flow. Competition people go for foam oiled filters because they flow more air and more dirt, but they can be washed out at service . when it is all about performance and you are prepared to rebuild engines then getting grit into the engine is not the major concern.

In most cases a paper filter will be better at protecting your engine and not voiding your warranty.
Good point mate. I'd not thought of that, but with that setup on the Tiger the air box showed no sign of dust either. The oiled pre-filter seemed to have taken care of all but the very fine stuff which dropped out of the K&N when tapped. I didnt go for this setup for performance but for ease of maintenance. The pre filter got very cruddy very fast but it was a 15 min job to remove, clean, oil and install.

With the original setup the paper filter worked well but all the crap accumulated on it and it was a bastard to get to on the Tiger. That said the tank on the 1190 is easier to remove.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is online now   Reply With Quote