Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #5431
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensdccom View Post
It's all about taxes. New bikes need to be sold after 5 years, second hand bikes need to be sold after 3 years. All about tax advantages in my country :)
If your were more patriotic, you'd be looking for ways to maximize paying your fair share.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #5432
Filterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
Nerb - Your videos are just amazing!
I'm a potential KTM 1190 ADV R buyer (2015) and all this info, and the Unifilter fix confirm that this bike is the right decision.

@Filterman - Your product seems to be the ultimate solution to the filtering issues - why don't you sell it in the united states? Better yet, why not call KTM HQ directly and offer them your filter as an OEM solution? It requires some Hutzpah, but many times that's how success stories start.
Hi Bigman, Thanks for your good words. KTM HQ have samples for testing. So far I have not been able to obtain any feedback from them. They do sell our filter for the 690 as a genuine part so hopefully they might take this one too. As for the USA. We are separate from UNI USA so we don't sell into the States and they don't sell into Australia. Touratech Dealers will have them available as they go through head office in Germany then out to there dealers. alternatively you can buy direct from us and we can ship to the USA.
Cheers
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #5433
Filterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
Thanks for the very useful technical explanations.
As someone who deals with these issues at a professional level, what do you think about the whole design of the air intakes and airbox on the 1190?
Let's say in comparison to the 990 Adv.

I'm talking about the approach and concept in itself and not about the implementation issues described in your posts, which let's hope are solved for 2014.
Hi Dragos, Thanks for your good words. fundamentally the air box concept is good on the 1190. The issue is the sealing point between the top and bottom halves of the box needs to have a larger rubber sealing point. Also the mechanism that holds the filter needs to put pressure on the filter the whole way round not just the top. If I was designing the box I would also try to take the air from behind the riders leg like KTM do on there dirt bike range. This setup works well. KTM dirt bike filters stay the cleanest of any dirt bike on the market.
The 990 air box had its issues but was pretty good overall. The intake was higher and out of the direct flow of dust.
Like all adventure bikes. You take what is really a road bike and build it to go off road. You will always strike problems when its designed to do two jobs. Most are pretty good things.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #5434
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
If I was designing the box I would also try to take the air from behind the riders leg like KTM do on there dirt bike range. This setup works well. KTM dirt bike filters stay the cleanest of any dirt bike on the market.
The 990 air box had its issues but was pretty good overall. The intake was higher and out of the direct flow of dust.
Like all adventure bikes. You take what is really a road bike and build it to go off road. You will always strike problems when its designed to do two jobs. Most are pretty good things.
Thanks a lot for all this information. Very useful.
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #5435
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Thumb

This excellent bike concept will no doubt get its aftermarket solutions popping up

Filterman's thinking is pointing in the right direction. This bike also needs a creative and more air-filter-access friendly tank solution.

Creative aftermarket solutions should pop up around this problem area in a relatively short timespan
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 12-05-2013 at 04:07 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #5436
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
Nerb - Your videos are just amazing!
I'm a potential KTM 1190 ADV R buyer (2015) and all this info, and the Unifilter fix confirm that this bike is the right decision.l
Thanks Bigman I just tell it like it is and I find that a video is often clear with less chance of ambiguity.... and its fun.

Despite the few small issues with my bike, I wouldnt change it for anything.... yet
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #5437
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Radguard for 1190 Adventure

I have just recieved my first accesory for the 2014 Adventure, even though I dont have the bike.
Any Aussie guys have this on their bikes...

This Radguard is a very solid product and will give the exposed radiator protection from the usual road / bush debris, sticks stones etc..

I choose the black colour $156 AUD + delivery

http://www.radguard.com.au/products/...tor-guard.html
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #5438
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
KTM 1190 Adventure demo ride

THis rider from another forum rode the 1190 Adventure for the first time and these are his impressions....

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28970
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #5439
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearnla View Post
No it's not. 240 kph IS the max speed. (150 mph).

We know the 1190 is fast, but it's not THAT fast....

170 mph trail bike, anyone?
I dunno where you got that idea but watch this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsUgJxEv0So

273 looks a little higher than 240 ;)

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #5440
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
I have just recieved my first accesory for the 2014 Adventure, even though I dont have the bike.

This Radguard is a very solid product and will give the exposed radiator protection from the usual road / bush debris, sticks stones etc..

I choose the black colour $156 AUD + delivery

http://www.radguard.com.au/products/...tor-guard.html
Good to see they have came down in price.. I thought $195 was way too expensive for about $20 of security wire ;)

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #5441
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
I dunno where you got that idea but watch this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsUgJxEv0So

273 looks a little higher than 240 ;)
Wowwww :-))))
I wonder, you had low pressure on the front tire before the ride, or the TPMS is not working well?
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #5442
Fuat Domanic
El Coeur

Oddometer: 4
Side stand spring recall too requires a recall!!!

My 1190R's side stand spring was changed due to ktm's recall, on the distributor's headquarters, the way as ktm instructed to mount, a month ago.
But now the NEW spring is broken!!! and I had to replace it with the old one that I was keeping as an emergency spare...

So: do NOT assume that you are safe because you changed the recalled side stand spring...

C'mon ktm, with the 1190; you finally overcame the oceans of snatcy throttle, bad rc8 engine, horrible seat etc but now you make us all drown in a lousy "spring"???

Or do we have a sidestand "total recall" awaiting???

Btw: Another 1190R in my neighborhood had it's mid stand broken and changed from warranty...

Really started to wonder who's producing the 1190's "stands", Zappa's "Flakes"???
Yet in a sparcity one may still fall in love with a fat one...

Fuat Domanic screwed with this post 12-05-2013 at 11:35 PM
Fuat Domanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #5443
Toors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
See this airbox conversion - apparently it works well:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...opic=131440.40

The other thing that has been bugging me is the air intakes. I have seen some air filter damage. At risk of having to replace the intake tubes, I made a "test" mod.

Removing all the plastics to get here is a bit of a mission, but I was most of the way there fitting the GPS, so I just continued into the maze....

I basically just blocked off the intakes in the front where the perforated cover that is visible from outside slides in.

Then drilled two holes in the area covered by the tank.

Once assembled, none of the holes are visible, and nicely covered behind the plastics and tank where direct water cannot get to it.

Will need to find some water crossings to test. Not simple in the FS at present....

The expedition continues....

Toors screwed with this post 12-05-2013 at 11:32 PM
Toors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #5444
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
Yes
PPiA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #5445
Fuat Domanic
El Coeur

Oddometer: 4
Answering my own question:
Yes there is a side stand recall for 2013 1190's!!!
Ktm says after many complaints of replaced side stand springs,
they are going to change the side stand itself and provide a new side stand for all 2013 1190s, covered by warranty...
2014s will come with a new sidestand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuat Domanic View Post
My 1190R's side stand spring was changed due to ktm's recall, on the distributor's headquarters, the way as ktm instructed to mount, a month ago.
But now the NEW spring is broken!!! and I had to replace it with the old one that I was keeping as an emergency spare...

So: do NOT assume that you are safe because you changed the recalled side stand spring...

C'mon ktm, with the 1190; you finally overcame the oceans of snatcy throttle, bad rc8 engine, horrible seat etc but now you make us all drown in a lousy "spring"???

Or do we have a sidestand "total recall" awaiting???

Btw: Another 1190R in my neighborhood had it's mid stand broken and changed from warranty...

Really started to wonder who's producing the 1190's "stands", Zappa's "Flakes"???
Yet in a sparcity one may still fall in love with a fat one...
Fuat Domanic is offline   Reply With Quote