Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #5866
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
Well, how was the ride home. Which mode did you choose?
Does it have Ducati Diavel modes?

Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #5867
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,315
Lol

That's perfect
Thanx
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #5868
OrangeV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
Well, how was the ride home. Which mode did you choose?

Hi

I rode the bike home and unfortunately after going to start the bike, it would not start, after a few attempts I rode the bike to the dealer.

It was already 3 Pm, they reflashed the computer and after 1 hour wait they managed to get it going.

They said to me to wait until the engine symbol light goes out, then flick the starter button.

So I went home and after half an hour, exactly the same problem.
Their main KTM techos are now on holidays, so bike will not start ..
The delarship was good about it and he gave me his mobile just in case I got stranded.

Procedure, place key in ignition, wait for diagnostics to finnish, hit starter and nothing, exactly how it was at the dealer.

Engine symbol flashing and ! this symbol flashing.
Got me beat...

Anyhow while it was going the gearbox is just silky, easily change up without clutch, the motor is just begging to be revved so will wait till after the run in. I rev it up to 6 rpm and just ride it normally.

So some dissapointment, perhaps dealer may send techo to my place or they will need to collect it...Im dissapointed that I cannot ride but the bike is a keeper, or they give me a new one..

Either way Im going to speak with the head of marketing Greg Chambers here in Oz, and explain my feeling about this, all the paperwork work they gave me the delivery certificate has all the mandatory boxes ticked as all good no issues.. But the bike has failed..

There is no error code as in digits on the dash, so im just gonna have to give it back to them to sort it.

Im sorry guys, I didnt want to bitch and moan, sort of take it as a man.

-------
Overall the bike sits high, short guys will find it challenging, fits me perfectly, and I can squeeze the tank, and get good leverage when i start to flick it around.

Motor is silky smooth no issue at all, clutch light as a feather, seat fine, some heat from underneath, but its not a worry, you are just focused on the joy of the ride..

I think with this bike you would be able to sit in the saddle for many hours as the ergonomics are just on perfect.

Heaps of rear space at the rack end, its going take a decent bag for trips.

Thats about a rap... Also Im not here to denegrate the KTM brand, its a technical issue, and Im looking forward to working out what the techos come up with...
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #5869
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
Hi

I rode the bike home and unfortunately after going to start the bike, it would not start, after a few attempts I rode the bike to the dealer.

It was already 3 Pm, they reflashed the computer and after 1 hour wait they managed to get it going.

They said to me to wait until the engine symbol light goes out, then flick the starter button.

The delarship was good about it and he gave me his mobile just in case I got stranded.

Procedure, place key in ignition, wait for diagnostics to finnish, hit starter and nothing, exactly how it was at the dealer.

Got me beat...

Anyhow while it was going the gearbox is just silky, easily change up without clutch, the motor is just begging to be revved so will wait till after the run in. I rev it up to 6 rpm and just ride it normally.

So some dissapointment, perhaps dealer may send techo to my place or they will need to collect it...Im dissapointed that I cannot ride but the bike is a keeper, or they give me a new one..

Either way Im going to speak with the head of marketing Greg Chambers here in Oz, and explain my feeling about this, all the paperwork work they gave me the delivery certificate has all the mandatory boxes ticked as all good no issues.. But the bike has failed..

There is no error code as in digits on the dash, so im just gonna have to give it back to them to sort it.

-------
Overall the bike sits high, short guys will find it challenging, fits me perfectly, and I can squeeze the tank, and get good leverage when i start to flick it around.

Motor is silky smooth no issue at all, clutch light as a feather, seat fine, some heat from underneath, but its not a worry, you are just focused on the joy of the ride..

I think with this bike you would be able to sit in the saddle for many hours as the ergonomics are just on perfect.

Thats about a rap... Also Im not here to denegrate the KTM brand, its a technical issue, and Im looking forward to working out what the techos come up with...
It sucks that you are having problems. Hopefully they loaded the latest map in there as my dealer's demo bike had a few problems running with an earlier US map. I went to test ride theirs about a month ago and it was not running right. An update supposedly fixed it and when I came back the following week it ran great. They have not had a problem since.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #5870
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
That sucks.
I must have bought a mid week bike. No issues after 8k...
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #5871
numbutt
john

Oddometer: 100
same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
That sucks.
I must have bought a mid week bike. No issues after 8k...
So far mine has been an instant starter past 10K KM but I do worry about the batteries capacity to do more prolonged startups.... [like in very cold weather.] Hope he gets it sorted soon ...pity about Xmas being in the way....
numbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #5872
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 271
OrangeV : Its may be not so serious ! What I do with the starter is giving it rather several but short attemps, like max 3 sec. Try without throttle or with very little. Use jump start cables and see if with a stronger battery its starts better.

At what temperature do you park your bike ?

Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #5873
Bianchi
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
Hi

Got me beat...

-------

Hey OrangeV, Im really sorry to hear about Your problems with the new bike. I got mine in Sweden April 9 and have covered 24000km so far. Its a wonderful bike. I can understand Your frustration.

I just think that You are doing way less bitching and moaning than some of the guys that dont even own a 1190. You know, the ones that are going to wait until 2015 for every little easily solved problem to be sorted by KTM. (They will put their order on hold until 2019 when they read about Your problem ).
The only problem Ive had with my bike is intermittent function of the buttons on the left hand side of the handlebars. Sorted by the dealer at the second service. Ive also read the hororstories about the airbox. I bought a UNI-filter as soon as I heard about the problem but the airbox was very clean when I monted the UNI-filter. Ive done some serious offroad since then ,not in dessert conditions though, and the box i still very clean. Sorry for the guys that got dust in the airbox, not good, but just want to say that all the problems discussed on OC does NOT apply to every bike. Biggest let down by far for me is the KTM original bags. Heavy, expensive, not waterproof and a complicated lockingmechanism that needs some TLC (and a can of silicon lube).

The KTM-techs will have Your bike running as it should and You will be able the enjoy what I think is the best bike I ever ridden!!

Merry Christmas
Bianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #5874
OrangeV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Thanks for your thoughts guys, you know, crap happens, my bike has 24 months warranty so no drama.

Im coming off a K13s and the 1190 is big, and feels tall, which suits my tall frame. Im 186 cms and weigh 86 Kg's.

I can really see this bike railing thorugh corners, I would just love to get this big boy on its side. The tyres when you run your hand along the edges already feel scrubbed, sort of that sticky good rubber feel, although i will be careful for at least 150 Km's before I increase lean angle.

The other main thing is that 5th and 6th gear a bloody tall, I was putting it around in 4th and felt it could do it all day.
So when I hit the highway and snick it into 6th, and comfort mode, me be very happy chappy.

Heck I bought this bike without a test ride so i gota suck it up a bit, im not indifferent to my problem, its just important to put things into some perspective here.

My main issue is im off work for 3 weeks and I just wanted to pile on the Km's...the shop opens i think on Friday so see what happens.

Anyhow I already fitted the RadGuard to the radiator, and looks sweet, its an easy job for anyone, fitted perfectly.

Also fitted better steel valve caps, black colour, bike came standard with plastic pissy ones...

I also have a small sheepskin seat, for the main seat, and its gonna give me extra comfort on the longer rides, I bought it at the good wool store..

The bike looks flaming awesome in orange, real head turner, mine at least.
I set my favourites, I cant imagine scrolling through many pages while riding and being in Sport mode...
The dash set up is really easy to use very intuitive no need for the manual..

Actually I rode in street mode, as I was just focusing to much on the road and getting it home in one piece..

I have photos to show you all, I just need to uploaded them to Flicker or something like that, I used Photobucket before, but found it as useful as a fart in a lift..
---
Riding the bike is just effortless, point the chin where you want to go and wahmo, the handlebars are nice and wide, wouldn't want them any wider,
and it hardly takes any effort to drop into a corner, dont mean to preach to any already owners, just excited about this big boy..
Ok so it Chrissy time on Wednesday and few lunches to go to, ....and my Orange baby sleeps.

All the best guys stay safe, stay happy ...

Cheers
V
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #5875
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 971
the simple things

I tend to think of all the things that dealer has to do to assemble the bike...and battery install is probably one....did you check batt connections? Dealers mounting accessories and pinching wires is also very common. Snow on the ground here so I will be on four wheels over Christmas too...
Merry one anyway...
Old 12-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #5876
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,022
Hmm no Starbuck's Mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
Does it have Ducati Diavel modes?

Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #5877
schoals
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Hmm no Starbuck's Mode?

That mode is only available on the ADV models
Old 12-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #5878
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoals View Post
Wait, they have an adv model??

Old 12-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #5879
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,022

Quote:
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #5880
Espada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
HEY HEY HEY, you can talk shit AFTER I sold mine!
Espada is offline   Reply With Quote