Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #6031
Audun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK7 View Post
The flashing light does seem to suggest that the bike was being ridden harder than it actually was. I pushed it a little but didn't feel like it was anywhere near damaging anything.
I just CANNOT ride these things anywhere near sane levels.
Before first service the shiftlight is set to 6500 rpm.

Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:45 AM   #6032
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529

thats a nice pic
MookieBlaylock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:09 AM   #6033
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
If you set the shift light to 6,500rpm like i have on mine you dont need to look down at the tacho, you just see a red flash and slam next gear.
Im sorry i dont mean to preach to you, I watched your video and you were doing everyhting fine..

The manuel says for the 1,000 Km's ride up to 6,500rpm

After that the Good Lord help us...
I thought about doing just that. No worries. I need all the guidance I can get.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:11 AM   #6034
Fredii
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I don't know how you guys are hitting the red shift light, mine starts to wheelie before I even get there!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:16 AM   #6035
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredii View Post
I don't know how you guys are hitting the red shift light, mine starts to wheelie before I even get there!
Well so far I've mainly been on ice and sand so not too much traction.

I didn't pay too much attention to when the shift light was coming on. I know I can set it anywhere, just haven't yet.

Hang in there guy's who have not gotten theirs yet. It is well worth the wait.
I sold my 950 last year before the 1190's were even out in the EU thinking they would be here in the states at the same time. It was a very long wait.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #6036
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,048
I hate to hype a bike, as they all seem pretty good right after you plunk your money down. Best suspension I have ever been on, and the motor is just waiting to go to rocket assist!

I think the redline before 600 miles set to 6500 was meant just for me, man this thing wants to go!

Someone posted wondering what kind of mpg, I filled up for the second time yesterday, 203.4 miles by trip 1 and took 4.74 gallons = 42.9 mpg. Some city, and highway 80 - 85 mph. 85 is 79 on the gps. Oh, when I started out temps were 31f and ended up 61f, so very good mileage in my book.

I was down to last bar on fuel gauge but low warning was not on yet when I stopped.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #6037
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
People go to soft the first 1000km's and then complain it drinks oil for the next 20.000km...

Not saying you should murder it right away. But please, put some load on the engine so the rings can set properly. Avoid long monotone rides, just accelerate and engine brake during the first rides. Don't go cruising freeway but take the dirt and back roads instead. It's also way more fun!
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #6038
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 894
Aah...that makes sense...

Sorry for causing such a ruckus (especially to ChrisK7). In retrospect it did seem like the shift light was coming on pretty low but I assumed the tach needle was lagging. In my experience there is nothing about the LC8 motor that encourages any right wrist restraint (unless it is imminent death/dismemberment or flashing blue lights) so a programmable shift light setpoint is a nice gentle reminder...

Anyhow....carry on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audun View Post
Before first service the shiftlight is set to 6500 rpm.

Audun
Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #6039
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Its a 2014, they didn't wait till Jan 1 to build it
+1.
It is a 2014. production date is for internal use, ie, the manufacture, more so than external use.
There may be a point in time where the guy at the parts counter needs to know the production date. Just store it away as a FYI.
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #6040
Fredii
Adventurer

Ok, when I turn on the key on my bike the KTM start screen shows Service 548 miles. But then a service warning flashes and stays active in the warnings menu. What's up with that?
Old 01-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #6041
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I bought my 990S outside St. Louis MO and rode it to Atlanta. Anybody who hands that bike back to me saying there is something wrong with that engine is not talking about it being low on power. It absolutely rips.

I've also had motors that I've grabbed around the neck when brand new and treated them like a guy you just found in bed with your girl...no mercy. Those have been outstanding as well.

Personally I think it is just a bunch of lawyers talking.

Seating rings applies to 2-stroke motors. You can actually feel it happen if you have built enough of em. With the tolerances nowadays, you can seat the rings with a flick of the wrist. These aren't race bikes folks. If you have a blueprinted motor or a true race motor then these sort of rules matter. Otherwise, not so much.

I say quit worrying and go ride! After all isn't that why you bought one of these things, to escape your worries of the day?
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #6042
Retired Navy
F.O.G.R.

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredii View Post
Ok, when I turn on the key on my bike the KTM start screen shows Service 548 miles. But then a service warning flashes and stays active in the warnings menu. What's up with that?

There are two things that drive the service reminder; 1)miles or 2)months. When either is reached you get the service warning.

When I first got my bike home and set the correct date, it made the computer calculate that the time for a service was due.

Something not in the manual. The next service due is shown on the matrix display when you first turn on the key. To reset the miles or months until next service

- hold the up and down buttons and turn on the ignition
- continue to hold the up and down buttons until the display cycles through all the menus
- continue to hold the up and down buttons when the setting menu is reached
- after a few seconds the settings menu will change to allow you to choose the miles and months until next service.
- You can now let go of the up and down buttons
- Use the "set" button to increase the numbers. Keep going and the miles and months will cycle back around to 0 if you go past your choice.

2014 1190 Adventure R
2012 CVO Ultra Classic
Retired Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #6043
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Anyone own an 1190r and have zero problems

Posted this in another thread and was told it was not the right place for it so here it goes again, anyone get an 1190r and have no issues whatsoever with it. I wish there was a poll for this. I guess getting a unifilter installed doesn't count as a problem. Just curious?
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #6044
Fredii
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Navy View Post

There are two things that drive the service reminder; 1)miles or 2)months. When either is reached you get the service warning.

When I first got my bike home and set the correct date, it made the computer calculate that the time for a service was due.

Something not in the manual. The next service due is shown on the matrix display when you first turn on the key. To reset the miles or months until next service

- hold the up and down buttons and turn on the ignition
- continue to hold the up and down buttons until the display cycles through all the menus
- continue to hold the up and down buttons when the setting menu is reached
- after a few seconds the settings menu will change to allow you to choose the miles and months until next service.
- You can now let go of the up and down buttons
- Use the "set" button to increase the numbers. Keep going and the miles and months will cycle back around to 0 if you go past your choice.
Now that is just awesome! Only the dealer could reset the service light on my Triumph.

I did it, and now it's gone.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #6045
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
The only issue my brief research elicited was the 2013 model year airbox. Apparently the box or some structural component around it was deforming from heat off the motor and causing some gaps in the seal. This was letting unfiltered air in where it should not have been. This has been reported to be solved for 2014.

KTMs have never been perfect but as much as 70 miles in the saddle can tell me, this is as close as they have or need to get. I've never owned nor ridden a bike so well engineered, even fit and finish wise they nailed it. It is very different from the 950/990, not that it makes those bikes bad by any stretch.

It feels like a 690 with a rally tank and 150hp motor! Well that is basically what it is isn't it? If it wasn't 20F and spitting snow, I'd be thinking of ways to sneak out of the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
Posted this in another thread and was told it was not the right place for it so here it goes again, anyone get an 1190r and have no issues whatsoever with it. I wish there was a poll for this. I guess getting a unifilter installed doesn't count as a problem. Just curious?
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote