Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #6241
Audun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
Either the graph is wrong or the 'Corrected Value' has some magical meaning.

Regardless, thanks for posting your dyno maps. Good stuff.

The correction means the curves are corrected for ambient temperature, pressure and humidity according to a standard I believe. It is done to be able to compare from one day to the other. Normally these values should be shown on the chart, as for the inmate ones. Cycle world didn't bother showing this and it pisses me off that they claim the multi is stronger. In a test in Sweden the KTM beat the multi on the same dyno on the same day, and the curves matches the cylce world curves (not the stated value)

Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #6242
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audun View Post
The correction means the curves are corrected for ambient temperature, pressure and humidity according to a standard I believe. It is done to be able to compare from one day to the other. Normally these values should be shown on the chart, as for the inmate ones. Cycle world didn't bother showing this and it pisses me off that they claim the multi is stronger. In a test in Sweden the KTM beat the multi on the same dyno on the same day, and the curves matches the cylce world curves (not the stated value)

Audun
Horsepower and torque peaks aside, look at those graphs. Nice solid ramp in horsepower and almost linear torque throughout the power band.

I haven't seen or felt this on a motorcycle like.... Forever.

Peak numbers do not mean much when you have fueling and linear power as good as this.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #6243
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
Horsepower and torque peaks aside, look at those graphs. Nice solid ramp in horsepower and almost linear torque throughout the power band.

I haven't seen or felt this on a motorcycle like.... Forever.

Peak numbers do not mean much when you have fueling and linear power as good as this.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #6244
BigMan73
Binary Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Insurance costs, revisited

I just renewed my DL650 Insurance, comprehensive, in NJ with Rider Insurance. $265. A very good price IMO. I putting this figure here as a base line for comparison.

I asked them about the 2014 KTM ADV 1190 (regular/R). It seems that they will not provide comprehensive because the NADA database (per the agent) doesn't have the model listed.
This seems as a technical issue, hopefully NADA get the model in quickly.
Anyway, assuming it was in NADA, I was informed that insurance would be around $550, based on the KTM RC8 value.

$550 is really not a showstopper, "only" 2 times more expensive than my V-Strom. I was expecting $1000+.
Suzuki V-Strom (Stromtrooper) Wiki
BigMan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #6245
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
I just renewed my DL650 Insurance, comprehensive, in NJ with Rider Insurance. $265. A very good price IMO. I putting this figure here as a base line for comparison.

I asked them about the 2014 KTM ADV 1190 (regular/R). It seems that they will not provide comprehensive because the NADA database (per the agent) doesn't have the model listed.
Anyway, assuming it was in NADA, I was informed that insurance would be around $550, based on the KTM RC8 value.

$550 is really not a showstopper, "only" 2 times more expensive than my V-Strom. I was expecting $1000+.

my 1190 was $40/yr. more than my 990.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #6246
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,138
2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Big Dave checked with his insurance agent here in Tejas and reported his would go up $40 on an R but $400 on an Adventure . That's from an 1150 GSAdv. I was surprised they could even quote an R.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #6247
Tjeu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:

In Belgium we import the 100hp version. That lowers insurance and taxes. The dealer can put the bike back to full-power with a simple click on his computer.
Tjeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #6248
Jimkatoom
Not a nOOb

Oddometer: 23
Dyno #s/Insurance

Wonway and ChrisK7 have it right- the SHAPE of the graph is as important as the raw numbers (as long as those numbers are healthy) the curve confirms what we've all felt- the bike pulls smoothly and powerfully all the way up to redline with no dips or spikes-just exactly the kind of power you want

Regarding insurance: I got my R on the 4th of Jan, and USAA had it and quoted me $12/year more after trading in my '12 SMT... Don't know how much the bike would be by itself as we have the the house, cars, bikes all bundled in together with them, and we get a better rate as a result... Insurance numbers can vary so much by state, rider age, presence or absence of tickets, claims, driving record, etc, that it is just about impossible to compare numbers with anyone else- and we haven't even talked about how much coverage you're getting, which has the biggest effect on premiums. YMMV...

I just know the bike is AWESOME, and I'm VERY pleased with my purchase
J
Old 01-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #6249
dgardel
Orange contaminated

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
The line that corresponds to the number is above it and to the right of it.

I have posted this a few times before but will put it up for comparison. This is my dealer's demo bike stock and with a Akra slip on.

It pretty much agrees with Cycle World's test.
That is the proof that the stock muffler is VERY GOOD

KTM 1190 Adventure S Gray
dgardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #6250
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgardel View Post
That is the proof that the stock muffler is VERY GOOD

No question, it is just heavy.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #6251
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammond View Post
That's great but what I'd really like to know is where they found a tiny little man to test the bike. How does he even reach the pegs?

They wouldn't show a picture of this guy standing at a red traffic light
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #6252
BigMan73
Binary Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimkatoom View Post
Wonway and ChrisK7 have it right- the SHAPE of the graph is as important as the raw numbers (as long as those numbers are healthy) the curve confirms what we've all felt- the bike pulls smoothly and powerfully all the way up to redline with no dips or spikes-just exactly the kind of power you want

Regarding insurance: I got my R on the 4th of Jan, and USAA had it and quoted me $12/year more after trading in my '12 SMT... Don't know how much the bike would be by itself as we have the the house, cars, bikes all bundled in together with them, and we get a better rate as a result... Insurance numbers can vary so much by state, rider age, presence or absence of tickets, claims, driving record, etc, that it is just about impossible to compare numbers with anyone else- and we haven't even talked about how much coverage you're getting, which has the biggest effect on premiums. YMMV...

I just know the bike is AWESOME, and I'm VERY pleased with my purchase
J
I fully agree, there are many factors and it is very subjective.

Yet, I now have a base line to compare against - I'm the same rider for both bikes, so given my status (Age, no tickets, etc.) the price increase is not small but still manageable.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #6253
BigMan73
Binary Adventurer

Can a top pro out-stop the anti-lock electronics on KTM's 1190 Adventure?

Another article from CycleWorld!
>> KTM 1190 ADV is hot <<

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/01/17...src=SOC&dom=fb

Old 01-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #6254
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 346
Heat shields for KTM 1190

A friend just bought his 1190 R and asked me to develop a heat shield to prevent the engine heat toasting his legs, so we start working with his idea and the result is fantastic ... I am a Yamaha Super Tenere owner and have done a lot of mods to that bike also ... here are some photos of the SHIELD

Cheers
Roberto
PS. If you need more details please feel free to PM
Old 01-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #6255
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post
develop a heat shield to prevent the engine heat toasting his legs

Cheers
Roberto
PS. If you need more details please feel free to PM
Very nice Roberto.....looks at least as clean as the inmate from Europe (Spain) attempted. What material did you begin with?
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote