Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #6301
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,213
That tire/rim news is too bad. I wish KTM had done better or even copied Aprilia or BMW design and paid the license fee to get a better solution.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #6302
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
I spooned up a set of Karoo3s (which are tubeless tires) and the rear tire would NOT hold air. Leaked rapidly from the spokes. From what I am told, unless there is sufficient air pressure to hold the rubber membrane against the rim, the tires will leak air. I believe I had about 30 lbs of air but the rear was flat in no time. The front seems to be holding air fine.

Also, the valve stem / tire pressure monitor will need to be removed and you will need to put an M10 washer under the nut for the valve stem as the hole in the rim is enlarged to accommodate the sensor. Just a suggestion.

*** - Maybe a bad rim "tape"/cover? First time anyone has mentioned this being an issue in all the other tire swaps done. ***

Either way, good luck with things and have a great trip!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #6303
Keks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
There´s reports from folks that the slightly off-centre valve hole can be used with a regular tube; however it seems more of an emergency way to do things than as regular good use. There are off-center valve tubes out there for use with Milwaukee steel, but I have not found one yet with the correct size. Anyways, it appears to be possible to use the rims of the Superenduro with the original hub, which would be a solution for those of us who use the bike for trips to remote areas and regularly pack a tire iron... Needless to say these are neither tested for use with the 1190 nor approved by KTM or any vehicle authority.
Cheers
Chris
Keks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #6304
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
That tire/rim news is too bad. I wish KTM had done better or even copied Aprilia or BMW design and paid the license fee to get a better solution.
Not me... For all practical purposes you cannot true a BMW rim once it is out.
chief_lee_visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #6305
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMforget View Post

Also - one important discovery I found. Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere. Been a little busy to keep up with the thread. If you are going to install something other than street tires, make sure you have some tubes handy. I spooned up a set of Karoo3s (which are tubeless tires) and the rear tire would NOT hold air. Leaked rapidly from the spokes. From what I am told, unless there is sufficient air pressure to hold the rubber membrane against the rim, the tires will leak air. I believe I had about 30 lbs of air but the rear was flat in no time. The front seems to be holding air fine.

Also, the valve stem / tire pressure monitor will need to be removed and you will need to put an M10 washer under the nut for the valve stem as the hole in the rim is enlarged to accommodate the sensor. Just a suggestion.
That kinda sucks.....

I wonder if the same is true for the 1190 Adv Std's 17" rear?
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #6306
HIgh Water
Waisting Time

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
Woodys can, had them do both my GS wheels came out great. Also did my 950 with excel 7000 rims after I made octagons out of my originals. I'll bet they are working on an 1190 solution!

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/home.htm
'06 KTM 525 EXC Baja 2008 Race Bike
'06 KTM 450 EXC

HIgh Water screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 11:51 AM
HIgh Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #6307
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgh Water View Post
Woodys can, had them do both my GS wheels came out great. Also did my 950 with excel 7000 rims after I made octagons out of my originals. I'll bet they are working on an 1190 solution!

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/home.htm

Best wheelwright in the business for sure but I meant for the end user/rider it is not practical. That said, I assuming the 1190 wheels could go on a stand like my dirt wheels but that may not be a valid assumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chief_lee_visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #6308
BigMan73
Binary Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
I spooned up a set of Karoo3s (which are tubeless tires) and the rear tire would NOT hold air. Leaked rapidly from the spokes. From what I am told, unless there is sufficient air pressure to hold the rubber membrane against the rim, the tires will leak air. I believe I had about 30 lbs of air but the rear was flat in no time. The front seems to be holding air fine.

*** - Maybe a bad rim "tape"/cover? First time anyone has mentioned this being an issue in all the other tire swaps done. ***

I'm also skeptical of this.
Magazines testers have ridden factory KTMs equipped with TKC-80. Nobody complained about any issue with the tires, quite the opposite.
Suzuki V-Strom (Stromtrooper) Wiki
BigMan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #6309
Keks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Getting back to the issue of air filter and airbox. I am not too confident that the front inlet of the airbox snorkels will not take in water when crossing a creek. Apparently, some others are not overly confident, too. Check out this solution from South Africa. This could prove to be an excellent mod.

Cheers
Chris
Keks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #6310
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
Not sure where you got that idea.
I've trued them before.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #6311
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Not sure where you got that idea.
I've trued them before.
The rims on my 1150 GS have 100,000 miles on them, and are still going strong. Can run the rims tubeless of course, but also with a tube if you get a puncture and your not happy with the plugging. Did that on a new tire, and got the full use out of it. Have never had to adjust the spokes.

Surprised KTM couldn't come up with rims for this "Adventure" bike that couldn't easily use knobby tires. Seems a shame that you have to spend an additional $1,500 for new rims just to play in the dirt.

By the way, the rims on the SuperEnduro are pretty tough, compared to what used to come on the old Adventures. Hopefully, the rims on the new Adventure will be tough off of the asphalt.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #6312
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
The rims on my 1150 GS have 100,000 miles on them, and are still going strong. Can run the rims tubeless of course, but also with a tube if you get a puncture and your not happy with the plugging. Did that on a new tire, and got the full use out of it. Have never had to adjust the spokes.

Surprised KTM couldn't come up with rims for this "Adventure" bike that couldn't easily use knobby tires. Seems a shame that you have to spend an additional $1,500 for new rims just to play in the dirt.

By the way, the rims on the SuperEnduro are pretty tough, compared to what used to come on the old Adventures. Hopefully, the rims on the new Adventure will be tough off of the asphalt.
I think you would be getting off cheap spending only $1500. The other problem that I see with the tubeless tires is that you aren't able to lower the air pressure down all that much for traction.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #6313
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post

I'm not agree with that. I have the Karoo 3 for almost 5 months now and never have that issue!.
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #6314
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I ordered a new set of rims.Still waiting for the back one. I will post the photos as soon I have those ones.
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #6315
hochdoerffer
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question front wheel-off balance

Hi,
picked up my new toy ( Adventure Std Grey) from my dealer Tuesday and had to return it after finding out that the front tire is completely off balance.
Counted the wheel weights the factory added to the front wheel ..160 gr.
Looks like I am getting a new front wheel..
Anyone had a similar issue??
hochdoerffer is offline   Reply With Quote