ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #6316
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
I had a similar issue only it was the tyre that was faulty. The wheel was fine.
Tyre had a flat spot from new. Looked like a tyre that had not popped completely on to the rim, but it had.

KTM replaced it under warranty.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:19 AM   #6317
Keks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hochdoerffer View Post
Hi,
picked up my new toy ( Adventure Std Grey) from my dealer Tuesday and had to return it after finding out that the front tire is completely off balance.
Counted the wheel weights the factory added to the front wheel ..160 gr.
Looks like I am getting a new front wheel..
Anyone had a similar issue??
Thats not good. But note that, as a general observation, there will be some weights on the wheels to counterbalance the pressure sensor; so having weights at all is not a sign of improper manufactured wheels.
Keks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #6318
Blue Skies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
still concerned re oil consumption

My 1190A is 5 weeks old, now done 3000k. Still using heaps of oil - 700 ml each 1000k which I consider excessive, even allowing for break in. Seems that the range of the sight glass window is about 700 ml. Just did a 2 day 1100k ride and had to carry oil, which is bloody ridiculous for a brand new top dollar touring bike. Had to use it too, topping up in the bike park at the classic races at Philip Island before the final 100k leg home. With the crash bars, had to devise a funnel with a race program, so took a little while and couldn't avoid a bemused crowd gathering to watch this guy with the fancy new KTM adding a heap of oil away from home. Mate rode it while I followed. When he accelerated away from me through the gears (but only up to 8000 rpm) you can see white smoke, and actually smell it. Repeated runs saw less smoke, but still smoke. Ran it in properly - worked the engine, no freeway droning, etc. No sign yet of this oil consumption dropping even a tiny amount. Will take in to my dealer next week. Otherwise the bike has been brilliant, but I don't consider this a minor issue - a 5000k trip would require me to take four bloody litres of oil - that's half my luggage space!
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #6319
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
You've got a problem. I have 10k on mine and it hasn't used a drop.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #6320
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
My 1190A is 5 weeks old, now done 3000k. Still using heaps of oil - 700 ml each 1000k which I consider excessive, even allowing for break in. Seems that the range of the sight glass window is about 700 ml.
Mine, and it would appear many others, use oil only in the first 1000 ks.
paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:07 AM   #6321
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
My 1190A is 5 weeks old, now done 3000k. Still using heaps of oil - 700 ml each 1000k which I consider excessive, even allowing for break in. Seems that the range of the sight glass window is about 700 ml. Just did a 2 day 1100k ride and had to carry oil, which is bloody ridiculous for a brand new top dollar touring bike. Had to use it too, topping up in the bike park at the classic races at Philip Island before the final 100k leg home. With the crash bars, had to devise a funnel with a race program, so took a little while and couldn't avoid a bemused crowd gathering to watch this guy with the fancy new KTM adding a heap of oil away from home. Mate rode it while I followed. When he accelerated away from me through the gears (but only up to 8000 rpm) you can see white smoke, and actually smell it. Repeated runs saw less smoke, but still smoke. Ran it in properly - worked the engine, no freeway droning, etc. No sign yet of this oil consumption dropping even a tiny amount. Will take in to my dealer next week. Otherwise the bike has been brilliant, but I don't consider this a minor issue - a 5000k trip would require me to take four bloody litres of oil - that's half my luggage space!
If you are running fully synthetic oil, one idea is to change it for normal and run it hard for 500kms. Maybe the rings are not well settled in the bores.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:16 AM   #6322
iasudoru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Hi.
In MY 2014 KTM have replaced the piston's rings because it looks like someone ate too much oil.
tell your dealer.
iasudoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:17 AM   #6323
OrangeV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:

Im sorry to hear that mate, it's a shit feeling...

Your dealer needs to inspect this for you, also have you had any low oil signal on the dash?
I believe it has to do with the rings, your bike should not blow any smoke at all. let us know how it works out for you.
A smile is a curve that sets allot of things straight..
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:33 AM   #6324
Keks
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
If you are running fully synthetic oil, one idea is to change it for normal and run it hard for 500kms. Maybe the rings are not well settled in the bores.
Great advice to kill a bike and any warranty rights the owner may have.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:38 AM   #6325
Keks
Adventurer

Quote:
My 1190A is 5 weeks old, now done 3000k. Still using heaps of oil - 700 ml each 1000k which I consider excessive,
Have you checked the oil exactly in accordance with the procedures described in the manual? I dont mean to tell you RTFM, but as the oil glas will only fill after several minutes of running engine and only will be showing an exact reading with a fully warmed-up engine, there seem to be some people out there who fill up about 1/2 liter of oil in the cold engine, with the oil level barely (if at all) showing in the oil glas, thus substantially overfilling the engine.

Cheers
Chris
Old 01-26-2014, 05:46 AM   #6326
Blue Skies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
"Have you checked the oil exactly in accordance with the procedures described in the manual?"

Yes, always warm and allowing a minute for it to settle. Have noticed that even when following the recommended technique the reading in the window can vary by up to 2 segments, so do it several times, restarting the engine for a minute or so and letting it settle again, until I get the highest consistent reading. A bit weird, but I assume it is something to do with the dry sump system. I have been so concerned about my high oil consumption that I routinely check it whenever I switch off on rides. The oil level light has never come on because I monitor it so closely and add 700 ml when the level gets down to the bottom segment (after about 900 ks).
I had assumed it is a ring problem, but a weird thing happened when I first rode the bike new, which may suggest a valve guide issue. Dealer started up the bike (no smoke) , and I noticed there were only 2 kilometers on the odometer. Rode sedately a few miles down the road, stopped and switched off to talk to my mate. When I restarted a bloody huge cloud of smoke appeared from the exhaust, so thick that for a moment we couldn't see each other. Just touched the starter button while standing beside the bike. Switched off and thought WTF! Restarted, only a little smoke, so rode off gently for a minute and switched off again. Restarted and another cloud of smoke but less than before. Third time a bit less again, and fourth time no smoke. But no obvious smoke visible while just riding along.I assumed at the time it was some preservation oil or something getting burnt off, but then why didn't it smoke when the dealer initially started the bike? And why didn't it smoke while riding along? Has never done it since. Went back and mentioned it to the dealer but he couldn't explain what it was. Not sure he believed me ... Now I wonder if it's a clue to my oil consumption problem. I have a good dealer, so disappointed, but remaining positive. After all, I can still ride it.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #6327
Keks
Adventurer

Over here in Germany, Id return the bike to the dealer, ask for exchange of the bike, period. No way Id even accept any surgery on or a rebuilt of a 5 week old engine. This is KTM and if your dealer is any good hell be able to exchange your bike without any problem from the dudes in Austria.
I got mine from the dealer with 2.500 km on the odo and got her up to 8.000km in the last three months, using about 300ml of oil.
Just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Chris
Old 01-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #6328
grizzlyj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Kind of a voltage question.

Having left my bike for too long I turned it on yesterday and the dash display said 11.9v. OK needs charging.

I also have a little voltmeter on the end of a cigarette lighter plug type of thing, so out of curiosity I plugged that into the accessory socket. 12.5v.

Is the acc socket feed stabilised in some way?

If it is, and I charge the battery through the socket as some folks here have, presumably the smart charger, seeing 12.5v, will give it a gentle trickle charge rather than the slightly bigger oooomph 11.9 (or whatever) might require?

Any thoughts? The little socket meter gives sensible readings in other vehicles so that seems ok.
grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #6329
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
White smoke .

Quote:
"Have you checked the oil exactly in accordance with the procedures described in the manual?"

Yes, always warm and allowing a minute for it to settle. Have noticed that even when following the recommended technique the reading in the window can vary by up to 2 segments, so do it several times, restarting the engine for a minute or so and letting it settle again, until I get the highest consistent reading. A bit weird, but I assume it is something to do with the dry sump system. I have been so concerned about my high oil consumption that I routinely check it whenever I switch off on rides. The oil level light has never come on because I monitor it so closely and add 700 ml when the level gets down to the bottom segment (after about 900 ks).
I had assumed it is a ring problem, but a weird thing happened when I first rode the bike new, which may suggest a valve guide issue. Dealer started up the bike (no smoke) , and I noticed there were only 2 kilometers on the odometer. Rode sedately a few miles down the road, stopped and switched off to talk to my mate. When I restarted a bloody huge cloud of smoke appeared from the exhaust, so thick that for a moment we couldn't see each other. Just touched the starter button while standing beside the bike. Switched off and thought WTF! Restarted, only a little smoke, so rode off gently for a minute and switched off again. Restarted and another cloud of smoke but less than before. Third time a bit less again, and fourth time no smoke. But no obvious smoke visible while just riding along.I assumed at the time it was some preservation oil or something getting burnt off, but then why didn't it smoke when the dealer initially started the bike? And why didn't it smoke while riding along? Has never done it since. Went back and mentioned it to the dealer but he couldn't explain what it was. Not sure he believed me ... Now I wonder if it's a clue to my oil consumption problem. I have a good dealer, so disappointed, but remaining positive. After all, I can still ride it.
White smoke is coolant. But yet your going through a lot of oil. What does your coolant look like? That is close to a ml per mile unless my math sucks which is does . I would think you'd have a constant blue haze following you.

veesquared screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 02:58 PM Reason: Ml
veesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #6330
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 354
Testing heat shields

Today we rode about 300 kms and the heat shields worked beautifully. Air temperature was between 20C and 28C . No heat noticed on knees. Have posted them on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heat-shields...050b34&vxp=mtr

now with some modifications (V 1.1)

Cheers,
Roberto