ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #6406
gozer
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland, WA
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRster View Post
Thanks.

I believe only Touratech sells a single piece low seat produced by Kahedo. But they don't say how low it is. Will be writing to them.

I will consider lowering the forks only if I am able to adjust the rear shock as well. Want to keep the original geometry of the bike as much as possible.
I sat on the touratech low seat in their showroom and did not find the height difference enough to justify the cost. It was only a little lower than the stock seat. I also sat on the standard TT seat, and it was taller than stock.
gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #6407
DRster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 13
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
Inevitably some people are just too short to ride a certain model....

A friend of mine who was a shortarse bought a 12GS. I can't remember how many times he dropped it. He ended up writing it off and then with the insurance payout, bought a 12GS Adventure. First thing he did was spend about 1500 on Ohlins suspension to lower it and the lowest seat he could get. Still didn't stop him dropping it umpteen times either before he gave up and bought an 800GS (which he drops far less).
I test rode the new R1200GS LC which came with the 'factory lowered' option. I could comfortably sit with both feet flat on the ground. I test rode the KTM 1190 the following day......then magic happened!! She is the one for me.

I wanted to buy the F800GS Trophy in 2012 and ended up buying the F650GSTwin because of the height issue. But this time I am determined to get the bike I want and workaround the height issues and than the other way around.
DRster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #6408
DRster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer View Post
I sat on the touratech low seat in their showroom and did not find the height difference enough to justify the cost. It was only a little lower than the stock seat. I also sat on the standard TT seat, and it was taller than stock.
I thought as much. The stock seat has a relatively thin padding and it has a heat shield at the bottom too. I think there is very little room for modification. This said, I am willing to compromise with cushion comfort, but my main concern here is the engine heat felt through the seat people have been complaining about. Thinner seat=more heat? I
DRster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #6409
PPiA
Pete
 
PPiA's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Bungendore, Australia
Oddometer: 1,182
Gaston Rahier had to get off the bike whenever he stopped.

Dakar winner.

PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #6410
DRster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVRnick View Post
Might want to contact this shop in SE Pa. First rate suspension guy before
becoming a KTM dealer last year.

http://www.solid-performance.com/

I was sitting on a new 1190 Adventure the other day at this shop.
Cannot wait for the roads to clear up so I can test ride !
Thanks for the tip. Will check.

Oh you will love the bike. I call it the bike with 'multiple personalities'. It's a hooligan, a dirt bike, a daily commuter and an adventure tourer. And the good thing is you can experience all these in the same trip.
DRster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #6411
DRster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Gaston Rahier had to get off the bike whenever he stopped.

Dakar winner.

Ha ha ...good one. I am trying to picture myself getting off the bike at every traffic light stop.
DRster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #6412
rompe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Spain
Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRster View Post
Thanks.

I believe only Touratech sells a single piece low seat produced by Kahedo. But they don't say how low it is. Will be writing to them.

I will consider lowering the forks only if I am able to adjust the rear shock as well. Want to keep the original geometry of the bike as much as possible.
Kahedo's low seat sucks, I sent it back because a more than poor adjustment. It seems to be a preliminary version.

I sent the OEM front seat to a seat upholstery specialist and they did an excellent job lowering and increasing feeling with gel applications ... charging less than 70$.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
__________________
My other toy has tits . . .
rompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #6413
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,711
Hopefully Sargent will come out with a single enduro style seat like they make for the BMW F800.
__________________
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #6414
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 10,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Gaston Rahier had to get off the bike whenever he stopped.
Dakar winner.
Wow, that seat height looks to be at least 205cm high
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #6415
gozer
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland, WA
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRster View Post
I thought as much. The stock seat has a relatively thin padding and it has a heat shield at the bottom too. I think there is very little room for modification. This said, I am willing to compromise with cushion comfort, but my main concern here is the engine heat felt through the seat people have been complaining about. Thinner seat=more heat? I
I'm getting used to the height, although I haven't really been offroad much yet - just going to have to pay attention to where I stop. I also haven't noticed much heat yet, but I don't think I've been on a ride over 50F yet...
gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #6416
DRster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 13
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer View Post
I'm getting used to the height, although I haven't really been offroad much yet - just going to have to pay attention to where I stop. I also haven't noticed much heat yet, but I don't think I've been on a ride over 50F yet...
What's your inseam length? Is the bike in stock form?

I ride at about 15000miles each season and would prefer to do it with peace of mind and not constantly worry about where I place my foot each time I stop. Can't afford to drop $20k bike.....at least not when it's new
DRster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #6417
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Gaston Rahier had to get off the bike whenever he stopped.

Dakar winner.

Oh Yeah....well the first time the guy below rode the 1190, his biggest concern was "How the hell am I gonna get this off the center stand?"

strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #6418
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jaimoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Spaniard in Chile
Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
Oh Yeah....well the first time the guy below rode the 1190, his biggest concern was "How the hell am I gonna get this off the center stand?"

If the rider were closer to the camera his biggest concern would have been "how the hell am I gonna ride a bike so small"
__________________
Jaime

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #6419
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western South Dakota
Oddometer: 1,093
the pictures of him actually riding still make him look very small, he must be about 5'4"?
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #6420
gozer
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland, WA
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRster View Post
What's your inseam length? Is the bike in stock form?

I ride at about 15000miles each season and would prefer to do it with peace of mind and not constantly worry about where I place my foot each time I stop. Can't afford to drop $20k bike.....at least not when it's new
30" and I weigh just under 200#, have the tt skid plate and top box on which add a little more weight. I've got the rear preload all the way off.
gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014