Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #6601
CaliBerger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
What's wrong with the Rumbux?
Would you mind providing your impression of the rumbux setup?
CaliBerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #6602
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBerger View Post
Would you mind providing your impression of the rumbux setup?
Sure!

I ordered from South Africa almost a year ago. The bikes have now 13.000 KM's. Used 70% bitumen 30% off road.
The weight is the same if you compared with the bash plate & extra bars protection form Turatech.

In terms of protection,I've dropped the bike twice (right side)

And apart of the scratches on the bars nothing else!.
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #6603
CaliBerger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Thank you niko
CaliBerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:54 AM   #6604
Wawlia
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question Windscreen

My Fist Post
Was in the market for the new GS Adv, but changed my mind in went for the KTM Adv - no regrets.

Do miss my RC8R track bike though
Thanks to all contributors to this tread, thought I would give something back:
Did some basic upgrades:
· KTM crash bars & bash plate – Great (Looks – still a bit worried about this exposed engine casings – looks like if a rock don’t get them the brake or gear lever will most likely do the honours – Stocked up with some Pratley Steel)
· Nomada top box by Nolan – OK (Induced weaving @ 180km/h+, with passenger it seems fine though – annoying)
· Kaoko throttle lock with bar end weights – Great (Used it before does the job on long journeys and don’t get in the way off-road)
· Heated Grips – we are a little soft in Africa – when it gets below 10 Celsius it is a cold day, at 5 degrees we take the car
· Screen protector – Great (in orange)
· GPS bracket - Verdict still out on this one – looks OK but all plastic
· SW-Motech wide Footpeg – Great(best upgrade – those standard pegs just to narrow)
· Touratech Spoiler for windscreen – OK (removed)
The bike has delivered on all expectations and more and we love it. Will see how we do on a long trip.
Fist service tomorrow – will report back on this, if anything untoward.
Following on to ShawnS post regarding the screen:
I am little over 1.9m tall. The standard Screen on the bike works fine if not for the noisy wind flow over the helmet. I tried the Touratech Spoiler and it does work, less noise, less bugs, HOWEVER you have this whole business oscillating in the wind right in your vision (imagine the new BWW Adv Screen). It adds just too much weight for the standard screen to be able to deal with. Far worse (for me) than the wind noise.
I typically ride with earplugs (quality ones) that reduces the wind noise very well and eliminated noise fatigue to a minimum, so the screen is more for function to keep the bugs of the helmet visor and more protection in the rain. So far I have not really seen any real winners with regards to the various screen options available – please keep those post coming.
Wax it boet!!!
Wawlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #6605
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,336
Since you are new, I'll be polite.

Using black letters on a dark gray background is pretty damn stupid.

It is virtually impossible to read.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #6606
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,801
Farkles...

Just curious. Do any of you ride this bike as a true Adventure bike, like the original KTM Adventure R, or do you just get them so that you can put as many farkles on them as possible, basically ordering everything on the Touratech catalogue, drive it around the neighborhood, talk and dream about great adventures with the bike, then sell them for $2,000 worth of depreciation, and the cost of the farkles?

Seriously, I have a basically stock 2006/7 KTM 950 SE, and it's been just fine for hacking around the woods and the occasional mixed surface road. 32,000 miles on it. No farkles. Don't plan on any. Don't need them.

For lugging cargo, I have a 12 year old 1150 GS.

And one more garage filled with shiny new $15,000 bikes, and I'm gonna puke!

Sorry, just couldn't resist, after seeing all these clean "Adventure" bikes with the street tires on them.

p.s., I've gone back 20 pages in this thread, and have yet to see a set of knobbies on this bike. Did I miss a .jpg?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #6607
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Since you are new, I'll be polite.

Using black letters on a dark gray background is pretty damn stupid.

It is virtually impossible to read.
Did someone post something, or?

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #6608
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Just curious. Do any of you ride this bike as a true Adventure bike, like the original KTM Adventure R, or do you just get them so that you can put as many farkles on them as possible, basically ordering everything on the Touratech catalogue, drive it around the neighborhood, talk and dream about great adventures with the bike, then sell them for $2,000 worth of depreciation, and the cost of the farkles?

Seriously, I have a basically stock 2006/7 KTM 950 SE, and it's been just fine for hacking around the woods and the occasional mixed surface road. 32,000 miles on it. No farkles. Don't plan on any. Don't need them.

Sorry, just couldn't resist, after seeing all these clean "Adventure" bikes with the street tires on them.

p.s., I've gone back 20 pages in this thread, and have yet to see a set of knobbies on this bike. Did I miss a .jpg?
Do you feel better about yourself now? Good.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #6609
Dearnla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:

But you don't need knobblies to ride to Starbucks, silly!
Dearnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #6610
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Do you feel better about yourself now? Good.
Yes, it was very cathartic to write that. All these BMW GS wannabe "Adventure" bikes are getting a little silly. This is what the original KTM 950 Adventure R was capable of doing:

docgonzo screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 10:48 AM
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #6611
Married Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Yes, it was very cathartic to write that. All these BMW GS wannabe "Adventure" bikes are getting a little silly. This is what the original KTM 950 Adventure R was capable of doing:
I enjoyed your video although I'm not sure of your point. I suspect the 1190 could do that as well as could my poser BMW R100GS, though probably not that fast with me on it.
Married Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #6612
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

We are all impressed I'm sure. Tell us again why you're posting that in the 1190 forum and not the 950/990?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #6613
irongrady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:

Chris Birch makes the 1190 seem pretty capable to me but I'm sure there will be a snappy retort about how he must have broke something on such a "fancy" bike. Of course some guys are going to buy the bike and never get it dirty. Maybe they just like a nice upright seating position for a touring bike that doesn't weight as much as a BMW K1600GT. I wish they would just call them standards instead of adventure bikes so blowhards would stop crying about how they get used.
irongrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #6614
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:

I use my 1190 the same way I used my 990, to do everything. that means I-90 across the state to see my family, weekends on the trails here in the hills. a couple trips a year (maybe 3-400 mi. of asphalt followed by a few hours of dirt) isn't that what an adventure bike is for?
as far as farkles not sure what you consider farkles? I add a decent skid plates because where I ride a rock wiil go through a case (ask my friend Gregg about his Tennerre) I also add a better rack because I don't have an old BMW to haul stuff
and let me guess, you haven't ridden a 1190R yet have you?? because if you had you would realize it is just as capable off road as the 990R, maybe more so.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #6615
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 420
Quote:

When I look up the word Troll in the dictionary it has a link to your post.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote