Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #6691
Ktm530
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Ok after yesterdays miseries and some googling I'll have to admit i was wrong about the oil over fill , it is indeed a pain in the ass to fill a dry sump and i read the scale to quick after the ride. You apparently and obviously have to wait for the oil to cool down before you check it.
This is the reading cold.

Today i took the boxes for a shake test on some gravel roads ( 100 km ) and this is the result

Absolutely clean , i live in Sweden so its incomparable with the conditions you guys down under have.

Also made a moisture test or how u describe it , cleaned one box internally yesterday. I bought a six pack of beer and some food on my way home and the exhaust side box fitted the six pack like a glove. Only problem was , either one can cracked due to heat , vibrations or being faulted from the beginning. This is what it looks like after 24h and 200km of riding. My estimate is that it gets around 40-50 degrees in there.

Some water is spotted so the seals gets a thumbs up.
Ktm530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #6692
Ktm530
Adventurer

Since my dog isn't too happy me being away all day and my gf is on holiday i got some time on my hand today. A luggage rack is in the making.
Made a template out of cart board and fine tuned it with tape then it was a lot of measuring before i transferred it to a 3mm aluminum sheet. 5mm was my first choice but i ended up going with 3.

This is what it look likes so far. If any one wants a template or measurements just let me know and i will help you the best i can.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #6693
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Damn...your oil looks so clean, mine is black after 4000km and below mid.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #6694
Ktm530
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
Its the km:s i only have 14000km , mine will turn black to.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #6695
Ktm530
Adventurer

Oops not 14000

1400!
Or 896 miles :)
Old 05-18-2014, 02:14 AM   #6696
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktm530 View Post
Oops not 14000

1400!
Or 896 miles :)
I stand corrected but the 1190 takes 4 litres of oil..
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:32 AM   #6697
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
Change it. Mine went black around 7000... so in with the new stuff. Im not waiting until 15000.

I heard on the grape vine that bike (and all vehicle) manufacturers are increasing the service intervals simply to increase the "green" credentials... ie less emissions over the life of the bike. True? Im not sure, but it wouldnt surprise me. Modern oil is good, but Im not sure its good enough for 15 thou in a high performance motor.
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #6698
Audun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktm530 View Post
Ok after yesterdays miseries and some googling I'll have to admit i was wrong about the oil over fill , it is indeed a pain in the ass to fill a dry sump and i read the scale to quick after the ride. You apparently and obviously have to wait for the oil to cool down before you check it.
This is the reading cold.

If I remember correctly from the KTM manual you read it at operating temperature (warm), but not right after stopping (wait one minute). With the amount you got in your bike cold, check the manual.

Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #6699
Ktm530
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audun View Post
If I remember correctly from the KTM manual you read it at operating temperature (warm), but not right after stopping (wait one minute). With the amount you got in your bike cold, check the manual.

Audun

Did so and its fine now
Old 05-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #6700
Ktm530
Adventurer

Great weather today !

I might be doing this wrong , posting here like its a personal blog ?

Maybe i should start my own thread and not clutter this place with trip reports which is pretty unrelated to the subject. Well to my defense I'm new to this forum and the activity is pretty low.

Mounted my go pro and remote and ordered a zumo 590 , going for a ride as soon as the dog is done shitting.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #6701
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

You fitted the Uni-Filter yet...
Old 05-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #6702
Tails_KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
@Tails_KTM@,

What's the condition of your airbox / filter? Did they fit the 2014 version airbox? What filter are you using?

Thanks,
Rob
Sorry to respond a little late. I am running the stock 2013 airbox/filter. Don't think there are recalls on that. And I have no issues, the KTM is running great.
Then again this is Holland and we really don't have dirt roads (unless you drive half way across the country for 2 km of sand road that you can drop you expensive bike on). So, no dusty conditions for me.
Tails_KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:13 AM   #6703
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails_KTM View Post
Sorry to respond a little late. I am running the stock 2013 airbox/filter. Don't think there are recalls on that. And I have no issues, the KTM is running great.
Then again this is Holland and we really don't have dirt roads (unless you drive half way across the country for 2 km of sand road that you can drop you expensive bike on). So, no dusty conditions for me.

I was under the impression that GLOBALLY the 2013 had a recall for air filtration problems, no matter where you live, we in Africa for sure see a lot more "dirt" than you but none the less there is a design issue...I know guys are getting water into the airbox, wets the paper filter then when it drys out they complaining about distorted filters which allows more dust in, so I am told by other 1190 owners, mine has already had the DNA filter done...not happy but so be it.

Bluesilver screwed with this post 05-20-2014 at 10:43 AM
Old 06-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #6704
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Has anyone had an update on when KTM will have the promised MSC upgrade ready for the 2013 Adv R? Nothing but silence on this issue here in Australia, and I would like to upgrade.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #6705
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningOz View Post
Has anyone had an update on when KTM will have the promised MSC upgrade ready for the 2013 Adv R? Nothing but silence on this issue here in Australia, and I would like to upgrade.
It seems that we learn more on the forums than at the dealers about these sorts of things..

Was it you who had your adv r at peter stevens with the surging issue? ...

I have a problem when the fuel gauge reads about half, the engine will surge under hard acceleration at about 6k rpm..

Now this morning after a full tank of gas yesterday, it wont idle properly... i usually let it idle and warm up to 2 bar's before riding it but not the case this time.. it kept stalling, even was stalling at around 3000 rpm at the lights..

quite annoying, almost like a blocked fuel filter..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote