Oddometer: 6,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Like an automatic-deploying-airbag crash protection system

Hey AJ
OOh
They make those for bikes?
I need one

Hey, CB, you coming to my Hood River Valley Rally this year?
We'd love to have you...
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #782
Jim Colombotos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Wait for the aftermarket to come up with an exhaust re route ....at that point this new bike will be as capable as any 950 or 990 ....
1190 is bad as hell ! Can't wait.
2015 350 EXC
Jim Colombotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #783
Nomadix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
I wonder, is there a clue from the riders of RC8 concerning the consumption? With a so called 23 liters tank and on the KTM site mentioned "low consumption", do you see a chance for a 350-400 km range?
I doubt that one could draw a reasonable comparison. The 1190 Adv has a modified RC8 power plant in it. The cams and ECU in particular, are purpose designed/tuned, so I would expect the fuel consumption to be somewhat better than that of the standard RC8.
Nomadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #784
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
I wonder, is there a clue from the riders of RC8 concerning the consumption? With a so called 23 liters tank and on the KTM site mentioned "low consumption", do you see a chance for a 350-400 km range?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=80

There you go...same thread.

FWIW, I have never had a whole tank where I rode miserly, and at 75mph on the highway it gets 50mpg average via comp, which always matches actual mpg.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #785
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Yes to most of that. It was an 04 and it was my buddies. His suspension was too soft. We were on a cross country tour to the Elko rally hence the bags. We'd done a ton of silly stuff along the way like Rollins Pass which guys had tried on GS' and not been able to do. This was the crux of Rollins just before the abandoned railroad bridge. This was one of the best trips I'd done on the bike and certainly a trip no other bike could do. Rode from NYC to Elko and over this:

Anyway we came to these dunes and just pulled off and started playing. He did the jump a few times but when I laid down to do some shots he hit it quite a bit harder and maybe caught more of a kick. Anyway, he flew about 40-50' about 15' up and landed perfect but the suspension compressed completely and then the rest of the forces went into the swingarm which ripped free. He broke his shoulder and flew home.

I guess my point is/was that lots of people are complaining that KTM has gone soft or isn't making a hard core bike and I don't see that. 150hp is hardcore and fair bit more than a v-strom. They can't possibly build a bike for the crazy contingent that wants to do crazy things but the new bike is certainly progress. I'm sure I'll get one at some point and I'm really looking forward to what a lot of the guys on this board are going to do to them but really, they took aim squarely in the middle of Ducati and BMW and that was a really smart thing to do.

Gregor

I know what you mean, but not every country is like the other, in here to get to places is better if is on the same bike cuz hauling a bike on a pick up or trailer get too many cop attention, so we now tend to not do it.
My KLX 450 is a fun bike, no doubt, is a GOOD toy, but many times i have found myself in the middle of nowhere doing off road easily on my 950 with a stupid grind on my face. So now, my weekends pretty much go to the KTM and the KLX haven't been that used....... that's why i'm going to sell it.

Will i regret it? probably.
Will i really miss it? not as long as i have the KTM.

One thing i realize about the KTM, is how awesome is to go to some place with a couple of friends all thirsty of adventure, going to gnarly places, helping each other if the road is too hard, sweating like pigs and then at the end of the day being soooo tired, laughing with beers on our hands and then repeat it all over.
With the KLX i coulnd't do stuff like that and the trails near my house are TRIAL like and you never hit anything above third (mind you third in those places is crazy like).
My next step is going to the dunes and master the sand part.
I'll fall, but i will get back up and when i get home i'll be very good in sand.

soooo off topic.
Sorry.
I'm trying to be one of the guys to go to milan and seing that bitch. Cuz to me it'll be GOOOD
Old 09-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #786
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
. His words: "That's what you get for being a Ding Dong."

Let's be honest - 99% of BMW GS' never leave pavement and 95% of KTM 990's never do but 100% would like to imagine a day they'll gather up the skills, the vacation and the balls to ride out of that Starbucks parking lot and turn down a gravel road. Until then KTM has made a bike that they should have all along and they'll sell a bunch. Not, of course, to the ding dong market but that's okay because you're a bunch of whiners who'd complain about the price if they did make your dream bike. Sheeesh!

Gregor

+1 - Well said!
Get the right tool for the job, I've heard it said.
(and I like that big, clunky side exhaust. . . ) And I await a 890cc downsized model -

Ding-Dongs!

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 05:35 PM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #787
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
+1 - Well said!
Get the right tool for the job, I've heard it said.
(and I like that big, clunky side exhaust. . . ) And I await a 890cc downsized model -

Ding-Dongs!
its far more fun using the wrong tool

Dingalings!
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #788
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
its far more fun using the wrong tool

Dingalings!

Agreed. I love pulling out of some gnarly trail loaded up while guys on dirt bikes stare like I'm insane. Love it. You should see what l used to put my 955i Tiger through. I laugh when people tell me those Tigers are not offroad worthy.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #789
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
I love being a ding dong, i like my ding dong bike and doing ding dong things with it.
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #790
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
I love being a ding dong, i like my ding dong bike and doing ding dong things with it.
Laugh my ass off. Me too.
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #791
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 398
100% dirt

Originally Posted by sakurama
....99% of BMW GS' never leave pavement and 95% of KTM 990's never do but 100% would like to imagine a day they'll gather up the skills.....

2/3 of the planet is covered with water, the other 1/3 is DIRT. 100% of my KTM riding buddies ride their machines in this dirt. At the rally in Bend, I would guess maybe1-3% of the riders didn't ride their KTM's in the dirt. So my math says 95-98% of 9** owners DO get their bikes dirty before going to Starbucks.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #792
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefrmGV View Post
Originally Posted by sakurama
....99% of BMW GS' never leave pavement and 95% of KTM 990's never do but 100% would like to imagine a day they'll gather up the skills.....

2/3 of the planet is covered with water, the other 1/3 is DIRT. 100% of my KTM riding buddies ride their machines in this dirt. At the rally in Bend, I would guess maybe1-3% of the riders didn't ride their KTM's in the dirt. So my math says 95-98% of 9** owners DO get their bikes dirty before going to Starbucks.
Actually you've hit on a big difference between BMW and KTM which is part of what I love about the brand. The KTM rally is all about catering to the "Ready to Race" crowd. I've gone to most of them since the first one in Ouray, CO and back then, following Scott Harden is when I learned how hard the bike could be ridden. Yes, you're right, everyone there goes out and hammers on their bikes. No question about it.

BUT! There's only 200 people there - that's after 6 years. You ever been to a BMW national rally? There's 20,000! Sure, many of the bikes are street bikes but maybe half are GS's (dirt free!) since that's their best selling bike. Don't you think KTM would like to make a bike that those 10,000 people won't be scared of? I rode my 950 to a BMW rally to meet my Dad (300,000 miles on his GS - find me a 950 with 300,000 miles) and the bike was literally swarmed everywhere I went. It was loud, tall, bright orange and scary. Everyone who came up to me said they loved the bikes but they were too tall. KTM's insistence on staying with 21/18 has cost them sales but kept the bikes identity undiluted.

I almost wonder if that's the complaint - the main streaming of KTM. Clearly these bikes are aimed at conquest sales and the less hard core rider. That just seems smart.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #793
Motrix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
FUGLY! Its a mix bag of BIG bikes tossed together...sure its good for KTM to grab more market share, but they could have stuck with the Adventures DNA. I am sure the bike will be awesome, however it will never be able to do the same off road stuff the current adventures can do.

And the ground clearance is ridiculous! Even the R is lower than the normal Adv. 990...crazy!

I would smash the exhaust on my first ride out!

Glad I have my sweet '11 Adv R. I'll hold on to that puppy for a long time!!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #794
golanu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Too Funny

Nothing like a good laugh to go with the morning java. Well put Sakurama, well put.
golanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #795
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motrix View Post
FUGLY! Its a mix bag of BIG bikes tossed together...sure its good for KTM to grab more market share, but they could have stuck with the Adventures DNA. I am sure the bike will be awesome, however it will never be able to do the same off road stuff the current adventures can do.

And the ground clearance is ridiculous! Even the R is lower than the normal Adv. 990...crazy!

I would smash the exhaust on my first ride out!

Glad I have my sweet '11 Adv R. I'll hold on to that puppy for a long time!!
My first ride out on the 990 I smashed a hole through the stock bashplate, that cost me $400 to replace it with a BDCW model.

What would a similar event have cost me on the 1190, even the R?
Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote