Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #796
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
My first ride out on the 990 I smashed a hole through the stock bashplate, that cost me $400 to replace it with a BDCW model.

What would a similar event have cost me on the 1190, even the R?

Whats the going rate for a helo medivac?

Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #797
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 422
uggghh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Colombotos View Post
Wait for the aftermarket to come up with an exhaust re route ....at that point this new bike will be as capable as any 950 or 990 ....
1190 is bad as hell ! Can't wait.
+1

KTM knows that riders that want a more dirt bike then what it can deliver will modify to their needs. A smart MFR produces a great bike for the general users and (as it seems the whiners have forgotten) the ones who want more or specific needs modify to those needs. Suspension, steering etc... No one is going to build a bike perfect for everyone needs. Whiners expect too much from KTM. Ready to Race in your preference is up to you/us now. KTM is trying to stay alive in this horrible market. They build the bike we the riders add on to and create the perfect bike.

Yes it is not as dirt worthy as the 990 (as far as we can tell) but it has many plus's that 990 doesn't have and you all know you can get the suspension to where the 990r is? Why- its your dream not mine.
The new 1190 is all I need and more. I don't drink Coffee and I am not fat at 270 Pounds 6 foot. But even if I was fat who cares. I wont go into that as someone commented on Fat people a way back in here and it was the most unintelligent comment I have ever heard. I feel sorry for the poster.
I understand the 990 is set up from the Crate with great suspension. But this is the way it is now. We do the mods to what we want. It sucks but that is not enough to out this bike too many pluses that I have been looking for a bike. Sorry Whiner population as I do feel your pain but when they do come out with the perfect bike it will be a long time to wait. If I had the 990 right now I most likely would keep it. For those non 990 owners I think the 1190 is a great option to consider.

Have Mercy on me as I don't understand current 990 owners side of things as my opinions are based on:
Never owned a 990
Owned a 640 Adventure and other bikes.
Just looking for a bike that can do 2 up and best performance and comfort for an off road and on for a 2 up bike & weekend rides with buddy's for single track with the 990/950 adventures.
KTM loyal fan

Boulder

bouldertag screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 09:41 AM Reason: more stuff
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #798
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
A...(300,000 miles on his GS - find me a 950 with 300,000 miles)
Gregor
CPModem is just shy of 250K miles and running strong. While we're on the subject of dares, I bet your pop's GS has been owned a lot longer than CP's owned his...

George
Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #799
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefrmGV View Post
Originally Posted by sakurama
....99% of BMW GS' never leave pavement and 95% of KTM 990's never do but 100% would like to imagine a day they'll gather up the skills.....

2/3 of the planet is covered with water, the other 1/3 is DIRT. 100% of my KTM riding buddies ride their machines in this dirt. At the rally in Bend, I would guess maybe1-3% of the riders didn't ride their KTM's in the dirt. So my math says 95-98% of 9** owners DO get their bikes dirty before going to Starbucks.
Ok I am tired of this saying. I went riding this weekend and most of all the dirt is owned or private property government etc..
This is not true 1/3 is not accessible. Farmers and government. I was looking at trials that dissapeared to heaven all over the uintahs and 1% I could actually ride on. Pisses me off. Why can someone own a mountain range!! 2.5 mil acres. WTF!! So sick of going riding and looking for trails to ride. And 90% of the trails are owned by private owners and government.
I asked one private owner (went to there house) and asked them if I can go through there gate and ride the trail. They said sure for 250 bucks I can...Shiiiiiiiit WTF!! And i am telling you guys that there land is 20 percent of the mountain range but the only way to get to it is through there gate. So they control 100% of the freaking mountain. uggghhh. so messed up.
Mountain is over a million acres. And all type of horse trails and 4 wheeler trails going throughout. So motorcycle riders wont cause damage to the mountain as long as we stick to the trials. As I have been told on other lands that they don't let Motorcycles go up but 4 wheeler can. OMG.
Sorry venting I don't want a reply stick to topic...Sorry everyone.

bd

bouldertag screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 10:27 AM Reason: Spelling in a hurry
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #800
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,833
Why can someone own a mountain range?

Uhhhh.... He bought it? lol Now, access to taxpayer owned land...I am with ya there.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 10:28 AM
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #801
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,981
Its hard to read some of this shit.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #802
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Right, They make allot of money during hunting seasons. But no one is regulating it. Its owned so don't investigate it. Many of these owners own a part but the remaining 1.5 or 2 mil acres are not owned or accessible outside of the owners gate. So they purchase land that has routes up through the mountain but since they own the main passage they control the access to the remaining 2 mil acres...

plus there are those that own the whole 2 mil + acres. No mountain should be open for purchase for anyone. Mountains or any other open lands are God given property for all humans.

A lot of these private properties have lakes, caves scenic areas that the rest of humanity can enjoy.

Just go to Utah and take a run up Ogden Canyon and you will see so much rich beautiful land available that is fenced off. and that is just one canyon.
This is America, if you buy land you have the right to enjoy it's use without others encroaching on your property if you don't want them to. You also have to allow the right for others to pass if this is granted by easement (maybe to access public land?) IF such easement exists. If it doesn't and there is a need by the public to access to such lands the government has means to force access by the eminent domain process (where the private land owner is supposedly compensated).

So what I am getting at if there is NO other way to access millions of acres of public lands then I would contact your congressman (if federal lands) or proper public official to start a movement to force access while protecting the rights of surrounding landowners. I suspect there is public access somewhere though.

Motorcyclist prayer: Oh lord if I die, please don't let my wife sell my bikes for what I told her they cost.
Afry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #803
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douf View Post
Purely from an aesthetic standpoint, I wish they'd kept with a similar silhouette to the 9x0. Some of the works rally bikes are the coolest looking machines ever, and that look is synonymous with the KTM brand. However, since the general population often comments on the ugliness of the current 9x0 design, I guess that was never going to happen.
100% agreement--he 9xo is a very distinctive & cool looking bike for sure; and I suspect the new bike's looks are driving a lot of the negativity. It will be interesting to see if the current bodywork will fit.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #804
Navin
Unwounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
100% agreement--he 9xo is a very distinctive & cool looking bike for sure; and I suspect the new bike's looks are driving a lot of the negativity. It will be interesting to see if the current bodywork will fit.

I wouldn't count on that, frame is very different. If they had called this a SMT-R I'd be able to stomach it. As the new replacement Adv?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #805
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 273
Let's be honest - 99% of BMW GS' never leave pavement and 95% of KTM 990's never do but 100% would like to imagine a day they'll gather up the skills, the vacation and the balls to ride out of that Starbucks parking lot and turn down a gravel road. Until then KTM has made a bike that they should have all along and they'll sell a bunch. Not, of course, to the ding dong market but that's okay because you're a bunch of whiners who'd complain about the price if they did make your dream bike. Sheeesh!

Gregor[/QUOTE]

Starbucks should sell Ding Dongs! I could ride my (insert name of virgin Adventure bike here) to get coffee and ding dongs! That is hardcore!

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #806
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
For the record...

I happen to like Starbucks. I like Peet's better, but Starbucks is right in there.

You Europeans just don't realize how good your coffee is compared to the dishwasher water many establishments attempt to pass off as "coffee" here in the states. At least one knows what they'll be served at a Starbucks or Peet's.

In terms of brewed coffee, I like Germany, Austria and Japan the best. Of course, Italy beats all when it comes to espresso.

Perhaps I'll call the next Adventure ride I organize the "Starbucks Tour". Any posers, I mean, takers?

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #807
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,110
Something tells me this thread has jumped the shark until the thing is ready to be ridden...
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #808
Navin
Unwounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
I happen to like Starbucks. I like Peet's better, but Starbucks is right in there.

You Europeans just don't realize how good your coffee is compared to the dishwasher water many establishments attempt to pass off as "coffee" here in the states. At least one knows what they'll be served at a Starbucks or Peet's.

In terms of brewed coffee, I like Germany, Austria and Japan the best. Of course, Italy beats all when it comes to espresso.

Perhaps I'll call the next Adventure ride I organize the "Starbucks Tour". Any posers, I mean, takers?

If it is all interstate I'm in!

Will 95 HP be enough to get there safely?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #809
Jim Colombotos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:

Try finding good coffee here in Santa Cruz. Uggg. just to get back on topic .....new 1190 looks bad as hell !
Jim Colombotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #810
Bonsai Elephant
Barrus Vegrandis

Oddometer: 18,626
Quote:

That's the kicker, isn't it.

Starbuck's may not be great but any one you go into, anywhere in the world, you know what to expect, and that it will at least be drinkable.