Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #1336
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I can't believe how many posts this thread is getting! But more importantly I see on the spec chart a couple pages ago that the new bike has tubless spoked wheels. Wonder if they'll fit our old 990s??
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #1337
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 259
I would definitely buy it if I had the 25 000 € extra money. But I don't have so much extra, only few hard earned euros. I can't justify to myself buying one because I see the only improvements over the old one is the engine and some little tricks like the off-road abs. If it had even 100 hp, under 200 kg weight, 35 liter tank and the best long travel suspension ever I may have other thoughts.

On the other hand this new adventure is a good thing for me at least money wise. Now I think I will keep my 990 forever because it's going to be the last street version of a Dakar winning "big" bike. Maybe I should by a spare bike to get spare parts before they end.. $$
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #1338
David_L6
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
"We're absolutely coining it in on our small capacity dirt bikes and will continue to do so, but there's another lucrative market segment we should be going after: The middle aged, middle class man who has watched The Long Way Round and wants a bike that people who know what they're doing can/will ride in the dirt, but which he himself will never even take down a gravel road."
Not picking on you in anyway Ceri JC, it's just that your post kind of describes me.... I'm very interested in the 1190. I haven't had a street legal bike in a long time. I've been thinking it's time to buy another one. Ideally (meaning if I had the money), I'd buy two street legal bikes - something like the Honda or Kawasaki 650 or KTM 690 plus an "Adventure" bike. I don't want another "crotch rocket" (too old for those now) or a "cruiser" (those just aren't for me) or a Gold Wing. Since I don't have the money for two more motorcyles (I have four dirt bikes and two ATVs), one bike that appeals to me will have to suffice and from what I've seen about the 1190, that's it. I WILL take it down a gravel road in a heartbeat. I probably will not ever do any serious offroading with it because I already own bikes better suited for offroad than any "Adventure" bike. I doubt seriously that I'll ever make any long trips on it either (meaning no further / longer than a few hundred miles / weekend trips). I want something that I can ride on both the interstates and the back roads and also haul a change of clothes and a tooth brush in case I don't want to go back home the same day plus something that is capable of and practicle to ride somewhere other than paved highways.

BTW, I've never seen (or even heard of it before your post) The Long Way Round.

David_L6 screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 07:11 PM
David_L6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 AM   #1339
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
It is that simple... Buy the 1190 (The "R" if you want to presume and sacrifice the comfort) and get a bike who you can drive better than any other "adventure bike" on the current market.
And for those who real want serious off road.. Just buy a second hand pure off road bike!
Just that simple!
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:24 AM   #1340
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
I want an 1190 really bad. How come the only KTM dealers near me sell only offroad only motorcycles? Even the dealer where I bought my 990 says he can no longer sell street leagal KTMs.
KTM forces the dealers into buying too many street bikes, they cannot order just ADV bikes. Can't remember the number but one dealer said he was forced to take a shitload of various big twins regardless of the local market demands. Thus, many dealers do not handle street bikes.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #1341
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
It is that simple...
Some people would rather curse the darkness than light a candle.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #1342
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,775
Talking Looks Awesome!

I have no doubt that the new bike will be better than the old one it replaces.
They nearly always get better. All the riders who want 990s have bought them already. Time to keep up, with an upgrade. This is it. When the reviews come out, it will blow everything else away. Have faith. It happens every year with all brands of bikes. Imagine if all we had to ride for dirt bikes was XL350s. Compare against a 450X or 300XC-W. I rode a pristine older FJR last year. What a shocker. Couldn't wait to give it back and get back onto my GS12. Loved my 950 Adv S before that too. The 1190 is going to be an awesome machine. They've had years to perfect it on the 990 platform.
RED CAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #1343
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

depression

seems like from what I have been reading it may not come to the us, love the specs on this bike.
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #1344
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
seems like from what I have been reading it may not come to the us, love the specs on this bike.
This year or ever?
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #1345
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

definitely not this year and seems possibly ever, although a lot of opinions were mixed in there.
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #1346
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
?

Rockycraig, where did you hear this from? Is your source pretty reliable? Thanks for any intel.

I'm planning to hold out for this bike, but if it ain't coming, then I'll start making other plans...wonder what the deal is?
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #1347
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,228
The new 1190 will cast a shadow on all bikes. If they are on both sides of you.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #1348
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,038
How has a pic of a 990 wheeling past a 1190 like the classic BMW one not been produced yet?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #1349
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Alot of riders wanted less and do use these off road. Look at the other thread with the poll numbers! Sounds like you defined yourself as a street riding adv poser squid and then slammed them?

My 950 has been 95% off road use and its been fun. A new one that weighed 380-420 lbs would have been better.
DAMMIT! I am a poser! Ya got me!

Now give me my mochafrappachaitea super vente on ice and

This is what got me into "Adventure Touring".... This was a TOUGH afternoon. 94 degrees / 80% humidity, by myself and 16 miles from the nearest road.... oh, and the reserve light came on just seconds before this mess happened.... "ooops?"

This is how I learned that even if you are strong enough to lift a 900lb beast, the GROUND may only support 50lbs... I got in position.... gathered all my strength (cause I had already tried lifting it and the mud was sucking it down into the Bermuda Triangle so it would. not. budge...) huffed some 02 a couple times to get ready and then....... heaved like a sumo only to drive my feet down about half the length of my legs.... Awww shit.... So I took off my pants and started working on this problem in my underwear and socks... It was about then I realized the misquitoes were extremly happy with both my arrival and my prodigious surface area... no air traffic control issues with me around - EVERYBODY has a place to land! I also started to hear banjo music playing softly in the woods....

There was mud halfway across the dash after this.. and I had to get my ass moving cause I had a dinner show to get to! EVERYONE laughed at me when I walked into the dinner...

So I went out and bought a basically brand new GSA - this is a couple days afte I bought it :

This was tougher than it looks, everything around the water holes was ice..

A little later : (Prettiest bike there I might add! )

Getting to know the guys... gee, this is FUN! :

And then, just a few minutes later..... on a smooth, flat fireroad....
And yeah, that fucking HURT! Hardest faceplant I've taken in a loooong time... BUT, I got to put new LED lights on it now! it doesn't look like it, but that's about $1500 or so in repairs there....

This helmet was about 5 days old... but, I am Sooooo happy I had this puppy on... I'm already "follicley challenged" as it is! :

I'm smiling because no bones were sticking out!

THIS is why I ride :

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #1350
BartG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
DAMMIT! I am a poser! Ya got me!

Now give me my mochafrappachaitea super vente on ice and

This is what got me into "Adventure Touring".... This was a TOUGH afternoon. 94 degrees / 80% humidity, by myself and 16 miles from the nearest road.... oh, and the reserve light came on just seconds before this mess happened.... "ooops?"

This is how I learned that even if you are strong enough to lift a 900lb beast, the GROUND may only support 50lbs... I got in position.... gathered all my strength (cause I had already tried lifting it and the mud was sucking it down into the Bermuda Triangle so it would. not. budge...) huffed some 02 a couple times to get ready and then....... heaved like a sumo only to drive my feet down about half the length of my legs.... Awww shit.... So I took off my pants and started working on this problem in my underwear and socks... It was about then I realized the misquitoes were extremly happy with both my arrival and my prodigious surface area... no air traffic control issues with me around - EVERYBODY has a place to land! I also started to hear banjo music playing softly in the woods....

There was mud halfway across the dash after this.. and I had to get my ass moving cause I had a dinner show to get to! EVERYONE laughed at me when I walked into the dinner...

So I went out and bought a basically brand new GSA - this is a couple days afte I bought it :

This was tougher than it looks, everything around the water holes was ice..

A little later : (Prettiest bike there I might add! )

Getting to know the guys... gee, this is FUN! :

And then, just a few minutes later..... on a smooth, flat fireroad....
And yeah, that fucking HURT! Hardest faceplant I've taken in a loooong time... BUT, I got to put new LED lights on it now! it doesn't look like it, but that's about $1500 or so in repairs there....

This helmet was about 5 days old... but, I am Sooooo happy I had this puppy on... I'm already "follicley challenged" as it is! :

I'm smiling because no bones were sticking out!

THIS is why I ride :

Uhm, KTM thread, and your trying to punt a fat cruiser with semi off road tyres... If you bought a KTM on the other hand, nice post!!

But, biker to biker, good to hear all bones are still in place :)
BartG is offline   Reply With Quote