Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #1351
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
it doesn't look like it, but that's about $1500 or so in repairs there....
ha ha you are a poser if you don't race 95% of the time, god talk about posers. The good thing about katooms is they crash really good.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #1352
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
How has a pic of a 990 wheeling past a 1190 like the classic BMW one not been produced yet?
If it is, you'll know it's a photoshop because the 990 can't catch up in the real world
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #1353
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 861
Can a mod please move this thread to GSpot.

"Oooo, I drove through a puddle! Did you get that on GoPro?"
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #1354
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
This is what got me into "Adventure Touring".... This was a TOUGH afternoon.
Man, haters gotta hate. The dude completely exemplifies the ADV spirit and you guys piss on the parade.

I appreciate your gumption KMC1. You're doing it for all the right reasons - more power to you. To anyone who gives this guy shit try to think back to the first time you road your big bike off road. Yeah, you were a regular Cyril Deprese weren't you? No, you weren't. STFU. There's nothing I hate more than people who show up late to the party and then want to lock the door behind them.

Now can we get back to our regularly scheduled whining about the new bike not being a 700cc V-twin that weighs 200lbs and makes 120hp?

G
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #1355
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Man, haters gotta hate. The dude completely exemplifies the ADV spirit and you guys piss on the parade.

I appreciate your gumption KMC1. You're doing it for all the right reasons - more power to you. To anyone who gives this guy shit try to think back to the first time you road your big bike off road. Yeah, you were a regular Cyril Deprese weren't you? No, you weren't. STFU. There's nothing I hate more than people who show up late to the party and then want to lock the door behind them.

Now can we get back to our regularly scheduled whining about the new bike not being a 700cc V-twin that weighs 200lbs and makes 120hp?

G
+1
Can't understand the negative posts. That doesn't exemplify what I have come to know Adventure Rider to be about.

I am really wanting a new big bike and don't think I can wait till 14' for the 1190's not even considering the higher cost; so I will likely be choosing between 990A or 990A-R. Not a bad choice to have to make if you ask me...

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #1356
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,851
KMC1, nice photos, they fail to show any circumstance where more weight, 50% more power and lower ground clearance would be a good thing though!

And Walter, if you are in the saddle of the 990 you know you are pulling a wheelie past anyone on anything! Even a 150 HP DS tired Adv whale!

I'll be LC-8 free for the first time since 2003 later today and there is nothing at the KTM website that even remotely tempts me as I window shop, and I'm a rabid KTMer!

If the 990Adv had become the 995Adv and was a real improved bike, lighter, better ergos, better efficency, rather than a BMW/Triumph?Ducati/ VStrom fighter I'd be looking.

If they built a new SE995 that was lighter and slimmer, and didn't stumble skimmin deep whoops sign me up! I'll pre-order it today!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #1357
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Can a mod please move this thread to GSpot.

"Oooo, I drove through a puddle! Did you get that on GoPro?"

This

Please move this to "GSpot" or "Beasts", the metrosexuality is sickening !

Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #1358
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
service charges for real?..

just stopped in at the local ktm shop to look up service costs for the new bike, used the 990r as a comparison. 9300 mile service was 8 to 9 hours somewhere around 7 to 800 dollars without parts so probably more like 900 dollars, then he said they have first service around 280 and some other service around 400 without parts before you get to the 9300 mile service. I thought I hadn't it bad at 440 for my r1200gs. if comes to us I'll test ride cause the specs are what I want but how will explain the 1000 dollar service. is this accurate for the people who own 990's? thanks for info.
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #1359
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
definitely not this year and seems possibly ever, although a lot of opinions were mixed in there.
I'm guessing the 1190 was taken off the US website because it's not yet been approved for import (i.e. homologation is not yet complete w/ US DOT). Once that's done, it should be back up there, 'cause I don't want to believe KTM designed this bike knowing they'd never bring it to the US, where big, powerful bikes are pretty much all you see out on the open roads.

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #1360
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
LED lights on a GSA?
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #1361
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,899
Quote:
...And Walter, if you are in the saddle of the 990 you know you are pulling a wheelie past anyone on anything! Even a 150 HP DS tired Adv whale!
I had an '04 950S, now have an '11 990 (which was the pussy bike according to some 950 owners, but now has been cannonized along with the 950 because it a) proved itself and, b) a new bike has appeared ), and have ridden RC8s. Trust me on this-- the RC8 powerplant is at another level compared to the LC4.

Quote:
I'll be LC-8 free for the first time since 2003 later today and there is nothing at the KTM website that even remotely tempts me as I window shop, and I'm a rabid KTMer!
Until the RC30 left the garage a few months ago, I'd been a constant owner of at least 1 (usually more) sporting Honda V4's since 1986, and I've been a real Honda fan since 1969. Things change for people, so I know how you feel.

Quote:
If the 990Adv had become the 995Adv and was a real improved bike, lighter, better ergos, better efficency, rather than a BMW/Triumph?Ducati/ VStrom fighter I'd be looking.
and

Quote:
If they built a new SE995 that was lighter and slimmer, and didn't stumble skimmin deep whoops sign me up! I'll pre-order it today!
You yourself said in one of your SE for sale posts that you were tired of the big enduro concept: so would a "995ADV" really work for you?
And btw- from the specs, the 1190 is a real improved bike in the areas you mentioned-- lighter (put crashbars on the 950), better ergos, and more efficient. So they gave you what you wanted-- it just so happens to be a category-killer as well. So what's your real issue?

And Gregor-- whatsamatter-- didn't you get the memo that it's not about the rider, it's about the bike?

wpbarlow screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 01:59 PM
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #1362
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 861
I will absolutely buy this bike if, and only if;

1. Something has been done about the harmonic vibration I get in my right footpeg and right hand, effectively numbing them at a 4200 - 4400rpm cruise speed.

2. A no mar rubber replaces the 9x0's black rubber shifter pad, which has absolutely destroyed the finish on my left Sidi.
The importance of clean and neat gear, combined with a severe design failure by KTM, should not be taken for granted !

3. Proper adjustable wind protection that doesn't make my head move around. This is a severe safety concern! The wind should not move my head around!
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #1363
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,009
The more I read about these big adventure bikes the more I plan to keep my 690r enduro! In fact if anything I would go even lighter with the 500. I got to see how it was to ride big KTMs and Beemers for a week in Baja and it wasn't pretty. Yeah if you want to go cross country and do some dirt roads the big bikes are OK, but sketchy conditions off road, no thank you!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #1364
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,851
[QUOTE=wpbarlow;19839599]

You yourself said in one of your SE for sale posts that you were tired of the big enduro concept: so would a "995ADV" really work for you?

And btw- from the specs, the 1190 is a real improved bike in the areas you mentioned-- lighter (but crashbars on the 950), better ergos, and more efficient. So they gave you what you wanted-- it just so happens to be a category-killer as well. So what's your real issue?" quote

My issue is that the theoretical 995 could have had a better rider ergo for off roading, so you weren't splayed at the groin with both knees pointed 180 degrees opposite, you could actually get forward to weight the front wheel and it could have been 40 lbs lighter at least. The giant enduro concept as it stands with development stalled 5-12 years ago isn't fun anymore. If the bike I described a few times was offered my $ would be at the dealership already.

Yeah, I could get a Powercell tank, SM seat and convert to FI to try and beat the carb confusion when really slamming at race pace but at this point after dumping $1400 into FCRs that aren't up to my needs I'm done. The ergos wouldn't be better enough for what I'd want either.

Hey, I hope it finds some buyers and makes them very happy! It just does nothing for me and I though of myself as a typical KTM customer, lots of dirt preference. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot leaving loyal owner/dealers behind in search of BMW pastures but what do I know? Most riders have no idea what KTMs are, my Duke 2 was always mistaken for a Ducati by guys ON Ducatis!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #1365
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 324
on a 2 month trip with 3 bikes all over the west. 2012 ktm 350 exc, 2011 ktm 990 dakar, 2011 ducati multi touring. I LOVE my 990. ride the crap out of it off road. can't wait for the 1190 so I can trash rear tires faster. will keep all my bikes and add the 1190! also have a 2009 ktm 530 exc so feel I can have a rational opinion. rode the multi a teensy bit off road in enduro mode. not to be repeated. keep that baby on pavement. the gnarlier the better, but paved. trashed a mefo super explorer on the rear of the 990 on this trip. can't wait for multi power in a ktm 990-like bike!!!!
'09 KTM 530 EXC, '12 KTM 350 EXC
'82 Honda CT 110
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote