Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #1456
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,167
Seems like a 690 with rallye fairing and extra fuel capacity is already pretty close to what you're clamoring for.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #1457
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Seems like a 690 with rallye fairing and extra fuel capacity is already pretty close to what you're clamoring for.
The fabled 690 Adventure.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #1458
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Every time I ride my Rally Moto Kit fitted 530, I think it is "almost" perfect. (for me, of course)

More oil capacity, and an "even" wider spaced gearbox, plus maybe the ability to carry a bit more (my Wolfman Enduro bags allow me to carry camping gear, but it has to be super-light stuff), and I'd get rid of the 950 altogether. With the fairing and custom seat, it's every bit as comfy as my 950 Adventure cruising down the road, but my speeds are definitely lower on the tarmac.
Thats a really awesome bike Duke. I need to fab up some sort of better dash and light for my Honda like yours. I've done a few 1500-2000 mile trips on this thing, I love it as you love your ktm. Carries the stuff I need...versus all the crap a lot of folks think they need... will touch 100mph on asphalt, scream over rocks with its PC polished and primped PC boingers, reasonably comfy with its cushy seat, and so far tough as nails. An ideal adventure bike where the ride is dirty...
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #1459
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
The question is still on the floor though...how many people would actually go beyond talking about it and would actually buy one knowing the price would be in the $25k range?
It sounds like you (and the others thinking about this project) could start something patterned after the Local Motors approach to the Rally Fighter car. Design/specs from the collaborative effort of a design-user community and a "kit" approach to building the bike so the customer gets some hands-on experience with their bike. The Rally Fighter uses a lot of off the shelf parts, too.
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #1460
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Re: the 450/530 set-up. I can relate completely...I currently own this:

And this:

I can honestly say that I've ridden both bikes to the same places and on the same trails. In fact, last month i did a weekend of about 800 miles off road on the 950' and the following weekend did pretty much the exact same trails again on the 450.
Both bikes are certainly capable in most conditions and at their respective ends of the spectrum.

Definitely the 450 is a great all around bike,one that is surprisingly good on the pavement, but make no mistake, on a long haul to the trail, it is no 950. It gets the job done, but it's not in its element in that zone by any means. I would definitely not chose the 450 on purpose if I knew that I had a lot of pavement to cover to get to a riding area a few days away....this is the realm of the 950

The 950 of course defies physics on anything except to most gnarly/tight trails, but again, it is a handful in technical stuff, and downright dangerous to really haul ass on given that it is unforgiving to mistakes made at speed in the technical stuff. Landing this beast sideways into wet rocks will pucker even the most stern of rectums. When conditions are ideal, the 950 can be fine, but in the rain and slop...it's no 450 that's for sure.

I loaned Ned (Neduro) my 450 and I rode my 950 the same weekend in the spring, and we had the chance to swap bikes back and forth over the weekend. There is no doubt a really good overlap between the two bikes, but fusing them into one ultimate bike would be the bomb.

I would give my middle testicle for a bike that is in between these two machines to bridge the gap. Something that is almost as light as the 450 rally, and something that is almost as powerful/smooth as the 950 with a bit more space that the 450' and narrow and lithe like the 450.

The elusive "one bike quiver"...

I think we can make that happen with a custom crank and a set of cases...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #1461
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,949
I'm on board with you guys Flanny.

It's so sad US Highland is where it is today. I really feel those engines and bikes were what you are after.

Riding a 950 with the weight of a 690 was awesome.

A small bore 650 or 750 twin would be kick ass and feel as light as your 450 Rally. The engines are DONE, just need to get them.

Put a real frame on it to handle some gear, gas tank "options" for Range. V-twin for long life and smoothness on those long journeys and of course..... AWD, just because, WHY NOT!

I was talking to a frame builder last weekend to make the AWD 950/990 product get moving again.

Snow will be flying soon, and lots of time to drink and cut apart perfectly good bikes.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #1462
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
The last 4 pages have been fascinating, but I kept checking to see if it was the 1190 thread

Somebody should make it a new thread, a mod move the posts over, and keep these thoughts going!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #1463
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
(Hijack off....)
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #1464
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
1190 ride reviews

anyone find any test ride reviews done by any magazines for the 1190. can't seem to find anything new?
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #1465
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post

I would give my middle testicle for a bike that is in between these two machines to bridge the gap. Something that is almost as light as the 450 rally, and something that is almost as powerful/smooth as the 950 with a bit more space that the 450' and narrow and lithe like the 450.

The elusive "one bike quiver"...

I think we can make that happen with a custom crank and a set of cases...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
A couple thoughts after reading through several posts. First off I think everyone will agree not one of us will ever be happy having only one bike. I know I like having 2 just in case I'm working on one and get a nice day, for instance. Also, If we do all our riding with one bike, then it's going to get beat on harder than I want to beat on my long distance rig, and it's heavier than it needs to be for bashing trails with. I don't like compromise.

Secondly, the "magic" bike people seem to be clamoring for is already made - the 690 already is over 65 horsepower and weighs 315 or so. Having a twin cylinder is a false need and any perceived advantages are offset with other drawbacks. plus the room the second cylinder takes up is a good place to mount a frappe chino machine.

My gut tells me there are a lot more Monday morning quarterbacks on here whining about the new 1190's exhaust being too low for their "mad offroad skilz", than there are guys who are really going to pony up $25k for the "magic" bike that they can go beat on one day, and go take that trip to Africa on the next.

Thus concludes my Dr. Phil analysis of why KTM is building the new 1190.

Oh and PS.... I want to live in your garage! :)

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #1466
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
anyone find any test ride reviews done by any magazines for the 1190. can't seem to find anything new?
The next issue of 'BIKE' magazine is going to have a special insert about the development and production of the 1190.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #1467
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post

Secondly, the "magic" bike people seem to be clamoring for is already made - the 690 already is over 65 horsepower and weighs 315 or so.

I thought the problem with the 690 was the service intervals or capacities or something. Is this true?
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #1468
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
...My gut tells me there are a lot more Monday morning quarterbacks on here whining about the new 1190's exhaust being too low for their "mad offroad skilz", than there are guys who are really going to pony up $25k for the "magic" bike that they can go beat on one day, and go take that trip to Africa on the next.
Geez, you think?
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #1469
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
I thought the problem with the 690 was the service intervals or capacities or something. Is this true?
Nope and nope...3000 mile oil changes, 50+ mpg, 6-speed and room up front for additional fuel tanks.

The truth is, it doesnt have a RR fairing, graphics or saddle tanks. That is pretty much all that is "wrong" with it... Were it equipped like an RR, then there would be none of this clamor about "the perfect bike" would be occurring. There would just be ride reports, since everyone could finally go out and ride their precious 690RR, instead of dreaming that it is the only way to achieve a "one bike garage"
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #1470
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Nope and nope...3000 mile oil changes, 50+ mpg, 6-speed and room up front for additional fuel tanks.

The truth is, it doesnt have a RR fairing, graphics or saddle tanks. That is pretty much all that is "wrong" with it... Were it equipped like an RR, then there would be none of this clamor about "the perfect bike" would be occurring. There would just be ride reports, since everyone could finally go out and ride their precious 690RR, instead of dreaming that it is the only way to achieve a "one bike garage"
correct me if I'm wrong but 2012 model 690 Enduro R has 10 000 km (cca. 6000+ miles) oil change
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote