Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,239
Anyone have a hard time selling a motorcycle?

I have a 2005 GSX-R 600 that I don't ride much, but I really have a hard time trying to sell it. It has 5100 miles on it, that tells you how often I ride it. I wish I could ride it more, but I messed up my shoulders overseas and anything over 75 to 100 miles and I'm sore for 3 days. I'm actually sore right now and don't know what I did today to cause it.

The thing is I've become so attached to the bike, and it has racked up so many memories in those few miles, that I can't bring myself to do it. I have an ad typed up in the flea market now, I just can't bring myself to hit the 'submit thread' button. Anyone else have this happen?

Here's some fond memories, with the first one being the main one making me want to keep the bike:

1. It was my divorce present to me. In October, 2005, my ex wife gave me an ultimatum. Bike or Her. That day I was at the attorney getting divorce paperwork drawn up, without her knowledge. When the paperwork was finished I hauled my Aprilia to the dealer to have some work done and picked up the GSX-R, while she thought I was delivering the Aprilia to a buyer. I came home with a new bike and divorce papers, rather than money from a sold bike. She was thrilled to say the least.

2. Got my entire Army squad a day off, rather than doing a fundraiser. This was more me than the bike, but bike was involved. We had to raise $120, and we were doing a car wash. Once we hit the $120 mark we were done. My bike was the first thing that got washed, and I donated $120. Car wash over, call it a day.

3. Paid for the bike with my money I made in Iraq. Everything else I bought is long gone, this is the last thing I have to show for my time spent over there. I financed it in October, made one or two payments before deploying. Paid it off while overseas.

4. First bike that I actually cared to ride rather than shine. The odometer doesn't show it, but for a little while it was the first bike that I would ignore the weather forecast and just enjoy whatever weather came my way. Before this bike I was a typical Harley rider that would ride for 3 hours, clean for 5. I also had my Aprilia at the time, but it was the same way for me.

5. My first 'long distance' ride was on this bike. It was only about 400 miles, but to me at the time that was a lot. It really opened my eyes to going farther than just the local roads. Of course this was right before deploying, when I could actually ride the thing that long.

Maybe it's time for some bar risers, put some more miles on her. I only need to go up about a foot or so to keep the shoulders happy. The pain is weird though, it takes a lot of playing around for me to find the right setup. I once had a chevy blazer I couldn't drive long, something about where the steering wheel was did to to me. I put mini apes on the Road king to get comfortable, but I can ride my ZX-14 all day.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post

The thing is I've become so attached to the bike, and it has racked up so many memories in those few miles, that I can't bring myself to do it.
My sig adds up to over 200 years of ownership. (Some are not listed)
Its not that I become attached but am a careful buyer is all.
The Hypermotard might get sold but even that is the first modern Ducati that was remotely appealing (Remembering they stopped making real Ducati's around 1985)
Maybe I will keep that forever too,good luck with the conundrum.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,381
Maybe keep it till you find something you like that is comfortable for long rides and also excites you.
I have had bikes I loved, some that were ok, and one I did not like at all.
When it was time to move them on, I had no problem doing so.

I have two bikes now, one I love, and one I am not sure about yet.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
If you put a bit of work into it, you could correct the comfort factor to a large extent. Some Helibars and a corbin (or other) seat can go a long way to getting one of those bikes comfy. There is also the effect of wind lifting your body, which may be why the zx-14 is comfortable.

I know the feeling of attachment to the bikes. It is even bigger when you have done long adventures and work on the bikes. Or when you (re)built the bike yourself, having touched every single fastener on the entire thing. Or my '76 cb550. I had gone through a bad breakup, and blasting through Western Marin near Point Reyes (nice winding, empty roads) on that bike really got me through it.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax351 View Post
If you put a bit of work into it, you could correct the comfort factor to a large extent. Some Helibars and a corbin (or other) seat can go a long way to getting one of those bikes comfy. There is also the effect of wind lifting your body, which may be why the zx-14 is comfortable.

I know the feeling of attachment to the bikes. It is even bigger when you have done long adventures and work on the bikes. Or when you (re)built the bike yourself, having touched every single fastener on the entire thing. Or my '76 cb550. I had gone through a bad breakup, and blasting through Western Marin near Point Reyes (nice winding, empty roads) on that bike really got me through it.
I thought about the Helibars, I wasn't sure if it was worth $279 for 1 1/2". I'm not too worried about the seat at this point, maybe later if I find myself riding it more. I'm not too sure why my ZX is comfortable. I've done a few 400 mile days on it no problem, whereas the GSX-R I'm hurting at 75. You might be right about the wind, I don't know.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
truthfully it's probably too late to sell it now that your attached to it. even if you were in a hardship (hopefully your not). with my klr and cl350 i love those to death and probably won't give them up for anything. the xr is fun but i can live without if necessary, same with the gsx. back to the point make it more comfy and hold on. the thing i love most about my bikes is the ability to hop on them and just ride. f the rest
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Just trade it for a late model KLR650 or Suzy DR. At least you'd have something useful. You want a motorcycle with upright ergo's and a longer reach to the footpegs. The perfect ergos are what you find in a classic enduro bike. Upright, narrow and lots of handlebar leverage. Most dual sport motorcycles offer that. Add in a good seat and flyscreen and you'll be using it a lot more then you have that GSX-R.

I have a Duc with helibars. Haven't ridden it in six years.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
my ex wife gave me an ultimatum. Bike or Her ... I came home with a new bike and divorce papers, rather than money from a sold bike. She was thrilled to say the least.
Well done.

The other day, my wife told someone that if I crash again, I don't get a new bike, she's getting a boob lift and a tummy tuck instead.

I asked if her new husband was paying for that or is she expecting that much in alimony.

As for your quandry.... I'd test ride a few things that have better seating positions. I bet you'll find something you love. Buy the new one, with a loan if you have to, then sell the GSXR later and use it to pay off the loan.
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
truthfully it's probably too late to sell it now that your attached to it. even if you were in a hardship (hopefully your not). with my klr and cl350 i love those to death and probably won't give them up for anything. the xr is fun but i can live without if necessary, same with the gsx. back to the point make it more comfy and hold on. the thing i love most about my bikes is the ability to hop on them and just ride. f the rest
You're probably right. I'll helibar it when I have some spare money burning a hole in my pocket I think, and hang on to it forever. I'm not hard up for money right now. If I was I'd be selling the Road King anyways, it's worth more and I'm not attached to it in any way. Which is kinda funny, because I've taken it a bunch of places and have done a lot of customizing to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Just trade it for a late model KLR650 or Suzy DR. At least you'd have something useful. You want a motorcycle with upright ergo's and a longer reach to the footpegs. The perfect ergos are what you find in a classic enduro bike. Upright, narrow and lots of handlebar leverage. Most dual sport motorcycles offer that. Add in a good seat and flyscreen and you'll be using it a lot more then you have that GSX-R.

I have a Duc with helibars. Haven't ridden it in six years.
I would like to trade it for a V-strom I think, maybe a few others. I have an XR650R for dual sport duty, a ZX-14 for solo riding, and an FJR and Road King for vacations and 2-up. That's really the main reason this bike doesn't get ridden much, it's sitting next to the other, more comfortable, bikes.

The Road King is probably on it's way out soon anyways. It gets me where I want to go great, but doesn't excite me much anymore. If I could figure out a way to mount the sound system on my FJR it's be gone for sure. That's really my favorite part of that bike, I have some high-end audio stuff on it and it sounds better than most cars. My friend used to own and operate a car audio shop, and he still has the ability to order whatever he wants. I put an HD radio with MP3, XM, and CD ability, 2 6X9's up front, and 2 6.5" speakers on the tour pack.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
Well done.

The other day, my wife told someone that if I crash again, I don't get a new bike, she's getting a boob lift and a tummy tuck instead.

I asked if her new husband was paying for that or is she expecting that much in alimony.

As for your quandry.... I'd test ride a few things that have better seating positions. I bet you'll find something you love. Buy the new one, with a loan if you have to, then sell the GSXR later and use it to pay off the loan.
I bet she reacted to that as well as my ex reacted to the stunt I pulled.

I've demo-rode a bunch of bikes and have pretty much found out what works for me. It's just that I don't want to get rid of the bike that doesn't work for me.

It's kinda funny though, I just looked at one of those ergonomics calculators, and my ZX isn't that far off from my GSX-R. This is all with my height at 5'9", and seating position in 'front' of seat, which is where I normally sit.

Stock is as follows:

ZX- Lean angle of 32 degrees, knee angle of 75 degrees
GSX-R- Lean angle of 35 degrees, knee angle of 66 degrees.

My knees don't bother me on either bike, so I'm ignoring that part of it as far as this is concerned. I was comfortable on the ZX when it was stock but I added bar risers just to see if I'd like them when I found a used set cheap. They brought the lean angle to 28, again according to that calculator. Helibars on the GSX-R would bring it to 29.

Hmm... are those calculators pretty accurate? It seems right after plugging in some other bikes that I have ridden. Maybe those bars would do more than I thought. I didn't see a huge difference on my ZX, but I do remember changing my seating position the moment I pulled out of the driveway. I used to hold the throttle with just my fingers on the highway and hold myself up with my knees, now I actually have a hand around the throttle. Point being, my hand is in the same place it always was, just now I hold the bars better.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
fonztheyeti
Banned

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
I thought about the Helibars, I wasn't sure if it was worth $279 for 1 1/2". I'm not too worried about the seat at this point, maybe later if I find myself riding it more. I'm not too sure why my ZX is comfortable. I've done a few 400 mile days on it no problem, whereas the GSX-R I'm hurting at 75. You might be right about the wind, I don't know.
lsl superbike bars?
fonztheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
I would like to trade it for a V-strom I think, maybe a few others. I have an XR650R for dual sport duty, a ZX-14 for solo riding, and an FJR and Road King for vacations and 2-up. That's really the main reason this bike doesn't get ridden much, it's sitting next to the other, more comfortable, bikes.
Well that explains it.You have too many bikes!

At one time I did the same thing. A few years ago I bought a KTM 950, and after that, I never rode any other bike. I finally sold them all off except the Duc. I may register it again this season and try riding it a little.

I sold the 950 last weekend too. I replaced her with the newest KTM 690R.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonztheyeti View Post
lsl superbike bars?
Not for my year. It's a 2005, they only list 2006-2009 for the 600's.

I wish I could get them though, looks like a good product.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Well that explains it.You have too many bikes!

At one time I did the same thing. A few years ago I bought a KTM 950, and after that, I never rode any other bike. I finally sold them all off except the Duc. I may register it again this season and try riding it a little.

I sold the 950 last weekend too. I replaced her with the newest KTM 690R.
Yeah, that's it exactly.

When I bought the 600 I had an Aprilia Mille and a sportster. The 600 was my most comfortable bike at the time, and I put about 1500 or 2000 miles on it in a month and a half.

Then I went to Iraq for a year, and during that time I paid off the 600 and came home with enough money to buy a SV1000. The SV was intended to be a daily driver. During the next summer the 600 stayed at my dad's here in ohio, and I was in Kansas with the SV. It was my last summer in the Army and I wanted to have an easy move home. So there's 2 summers that the 600 never got rode.

By the next summer I had sold the SV for a Futura, then bought the ZX-14.

I finally clicked the submit button in the flea market, I'll see what kind of trade offers I get. If the right bike comes along I'll probably go for it. I don't want to do a cash sale though I don't think. Just too much attachment to trade it off for a few pieces of paper, even though the government claims that paper is worth something.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
lloydunknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I think you'll get over it. I dumped a girlfriend of four years about five years ago. The first six months I regretted it and thought about how sweet a ride it was and how well it handled. As the time went by I began to notice how terrible a fit she was for me and just how much of a bad person she was.

Now I've found the perfect fit and got married. Times are good and I am sure glad I let go when I could.

On to motorcycles.....

I had a 2001 Triumph Legend. I thought this was the very best bike in the world and I invested lots of time, money, and effort into it. To me I was riding on a solid gold bar supported by angels. I then got an old BMW and found it much more comfortable and closer to what style of riding I wanted to pursue next.

The dear Trumpy sat idly in the garage until I thought that someone else out there may appreciate the bike more than I was right now. I sold it to a wonderful couple that would certainly appreciate and love the bike as much as I did.

A few months after selling it I started unblocking the bad memories. The terrible airbox. The single disc brake up front. The electrical issues that turned me back on many a ride. The expensive ignition box. The horribly top heavy handling.

But...you know not all the times with the Trumpy were bad. It was just time to move on is all.

Think of selling that bike as a chapter in your life that has come to an end. It is time to start a new one.
lloydunknown is offline   Reply With Quote