Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydunknown View Post
I think you'll get over it. I dumped a girlfriend of four years about five years ago. The first six months I regretted it and thought about how sweet a ride it was and how well it handled. As the time went by I began to notice how terrible a fit she was for me and just how much of a bad person she was.

Now I've found the perfect fit and got married. Times are good and I am sure glad I let go when I could.

On to motorcycles.....

I had a 2001 Triumph Legend. I thought this was the very best bike in the world and I invested lots of time, money, and effort into it. To me I was riding on a solid gold bar supported by angels. I then got an old BMW and found it much more comfortable and closer to what style of riding I wanted to pursue next.

The dear Trumpy sat idly in the garage until I thought that someone else out there may appreciate the bike more than I was right now. I sold it to a wonderful couple that would certainly appreciate and love the bike as much as I did.

A few months after selling it I started unblocking the bad memories. The terrible airbox. The single disc brake up front. The electrical issues that turned me back on many a ride. The expensive ignition box. The horribly top heavy handling.

But...you know not all the times with the Trumpy were bad. It was just time to move on is all.

Think of selling that bike as a chapter in your life that has come to an end. It is time to start a new one.
You're right I think. Either way it's in the flea market, I'll see what happens.

I think I am going to take some pictures of the Road King and put it in there also. Maybe do a sell two, buy one kind of deal. Even if they both go I'll be left with a XRR, FJR, and the ZX-14. I can live with that, plus I could get my house paid down a good bit.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well just wanted to add, for anyone who cares. The bike is gone, traded off for a 883 sportster to my girlfriend's brother. Even though emotionally I was having second thoughts, I made the right decision for me. I got screwed a little bit in value, but he's a friend, and soon to be brother-in-law, so I'm not too worried about it.

The bike's in good hands, and I have been riding the heck out of the sportster. I put more miles on it the first week than I put on the GSX-R in the last 3 years. Besides, I'm still faster on his 883 than he is on my old GSX-R, so it's still fun riding together. Once he gets used to it though I'll probably have to pull out the Ninja.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well I'm an idiot.

I'm now the proud owner, again, of a 2005 GSX-R 600. Now off to look at the LSL handlebars.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Oh, I see..... a hard time selling because your don't want to sell. I thought it was going to be because you found it difficult to find a buyer.

I experienced the latter when I decided to sell my Suzuki TS185, that i had owned for a couple of years. I advertised it, then cleaned it for the first (and last) time. I didn't a single response, so I used it for several more years, until it was no longer worth repairing. In 1985, I sold it to a scrappy for $70, as I recall.

I replaced it but have not had reason to sell the four motorcycles I have owned since then. The Honda MB 100 that replaced the TS is still be used by some young fellows back in Aeotearoa, albeit no longer registered for road use. The two bikes I bought to use commute and tour on in England were both stolen. And the 1997 Honda Dream I bought here in Thailand a decade ago is still running just fine.

I don't feel any attachment to any bike I have owned. They are just machines to be used as long as they remain useful.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #20
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 221
Do a trackday

You never mentioned taking that GSX-R to the track. Perhaps you need to discover it's true nature.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #21
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I don't think I'll have an easy time selling the KLR as long as I can keep it operational. I mean sure, there are some far better bikes out there, but this one is inexpensive, does just fine for my commuting, gets great mileage, it is paid for, and it hauls me and sometimes a bunch of extra crap where I want to go.

My dilemma is more practical than emotional though, even though this is only my second ever bike and it is what I got back into riding on after a collision with a deer wrecked my SV650N and a collarbone. This thing just does most of what I need a bike to do. Sure, more HP would be fun, but I'm a boring rider, I don't even generally use WFO throttle on this thing, so I can't see benefitting from additional HP. More top speed would be fun, but I don't need to go to jail for excessive speed.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #22
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
You never mentioned taking that GSX-R to the track. Perhaps you need to discover it's true nature.
I've thought of that, but I don't know that I will. I'm only 29, but it seems like every year I go a little bit slower and I don't really have much desire to do a track day on it. I might though just for the heck of it one day.

I do still do practice days on motocross tracks. I haven't raced in a few years but plan on racing again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #23
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
I thought one of my shoulders was wrecked,water skiing,dirt bike thrashing,doing re-models,racing flattrack for years.
It needed an operation for sure I thought,at the least.

I had a deep tissue body worker work real hard on it,Rolphing is the name of the bodywork style,it hurt lots,thought it was destroyed even worse.

Within a day it felt much better and works fine now,deep tissue work breaks up scar tissue and adhesions that form from injuries,I work on it myself from time to time to keep it moving freely.

A Doctor would have been only too happy to cut into it.

Might be worth a try to get it worked on by a good body worker.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #24
davethegoat
bahhh....bah...

Oddometer: 209
1st world problems

You have 5 bikes and you're fretting over selling the fast one???? WOW and I thought I had problems. But seriously...

That sucks about your shoulder...I feel your pain.

I have injuries so I know what you're going through. Hope you get better soon.

As others have suggested, try an LSL dirtbike handlebar conversion and lower, more forward pegs. That will take alot of your weight off of your shoulder.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
The LSL bar kit is probably available for your bike. You do have to cut the fairing or windshield to make them fit though, you do for most Supersports that they well their kit for, they tell you how and where to cut.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I thought one of my shoulders was wrecked,water skiing,dirt bike thrashing,doing re-models,racing flattrack for years.
It needed an operation for sure I thought,at the least.

I had a deep tissue body worker work real hard on it,Rolphing is the name of the bodywork style,it hurt lots,thought it was destroyed even worse.

Within a day it felt much better and works fine now,deep tissue work breaks up scar tissue and adhesions that form from injuries,I work on it myself from time to time to keep it moving freely.

A Doctor would have been only too happy to cut into it.

Might be worth a try to get it worked on by a good body worker.
I've never heard of that. I'll look into it for sure. What I get is a feeling like there's a vice grip on each side right where my shoulder blades are. If I take Motrin it helps, but I have to take it before the pain starts.

I ordered the lsl kit a couple of hours ago. Everyone seems to love it, so I'll find out. I really didn't have the money for all of this, but heck with it. Hopefully I can get some overtime over the next couple of months to help cover it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
I don't think I'll have an easy time selling the KLR as long as I can keep it operational. I mean sure, there are some far better bikes out there, but this one is inexpensive, does just fine for my commuting, gets great mileage, it is paid for, and it hauls me and sometimes a bunch of extra crap where I want to go.

My dilemma is more practical than emotional though, even though this is only my second ever bike and it is what I got back into riding on after a collision with a deer wrecked my SV650N and a collarbone. This thing just does most of what I need a bike to do. Sure, more HP would be fun, but I'm a boring rider, I don't even generally use WFO throttle on this thing, so I can't see benefitting from additional HP. More top speed would be fun, but I don't need to go to jail for excessive speed.
The correct response, I reckon.