User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
ironjack63 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Do I need to rejet?

I recently acquired an '81 R100RT from a friend, and found out it is a "California Model". I have stripped off all the air injection crap - surely don't need or want it in Texas, and am now wondering, do I need to reject the Bings? I have to rebuild them, but the rejetting is on my mind. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
ironjack63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjack63 View Post
... do I need to reject the Bings? I have to rebuild them, but the rejetting is on my mind. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dell's, Mikuni's maybe?

It'd be worth replacing the needles and needle jets at the very least. They're a wear item and do affect fuel consumption.

I think the needle jet is a 2.66 or 2.68 and the main jet is a 160. The needle sits on the 2nd or 3rd notch. Second notch is leaner than 3rd as the needle seats deeper into the jet.

They're cheap to buy and easy enough to swap around to find what you want.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,042
All post EPA beemers were shipped to meet Ca. emissions. BMW had dealerships removing some of the Ca. only equipment outside of Ca. later on. Some later models sold outside Ca. slipped through without the tank and crank evap setups removed. They all came jetted the same if I remember right.

Your bike is probably fine. It might benefit from one size larger needle jet IF it is surging fully warmed up in high vacuum cruise situations. Your main jets could probably stand to be a little to a lot leaner for more power, better mileage, and a cleaner running engine. Your bike has big port heads. Bigger ports mean less velocity and less velocity usually means bigger mains for the same mix versus small port heads. Keep that in mind but just a little too rich on the mains is a real power killer. Keep your jet needles on the recommended third notch. No need to replace your jet needles unless they are worn. You can tell by looking. They always wear just above the taper for about a half inch. You can see it and feel it if there is wear there. If there is, replace the needle jets too. They wear wearing out the jet needles. Good luck!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjack63 View Post
I recently acquired an '81 R100RT from a friend, and found out it is a "California Model". I have stripped off all the air injection crap - surely don't need or want it in Texas, and am now wondering, do I need to reject the Bings? I have to rebuild them, but the rejetting is on my mind. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
My 81 R100RT came with needle jet 2.66, main jet 1.60, needle position 2. I moved up to a 2.68 needle jet. Emissions removed and plugged (not California)
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote