It's build was 2002 through 2005.
Jon-Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #47
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-Lars View Post
I think that is about the best way to do the mechanics of it. I would love that setup if the bracket, controls and foot pegs were welded up out of super thin wall steel tubing in memory of BMW's last GP efforts. I would try running the brake lever's lever on the inside of the foot peg bracket as well for a cleaner look and at the same time keeping the foot pegs themselves more narrow. The narrowest they can be is still pretty wide IMO. For instance, I have always run my stock passenger pegs on those two inch (?) long BMW foot peg offset brackets. I set the offset forward and a bit higher than the original passenger foot peg position and use those foot pegs a lot while I am riding. I regularly drag those foot pegs! The rubber on their ends is ground off. Even with rear sets you still have to watch your cornering clearance! Don't try that at home! I shorten my forward foot pegs about a half inch in order to keep them out of the pavement otherwise I don't think I could ever get into my passenger pegs. I also torque down my engine while it is jacked up. You can get the engine about 1/8th inch higher doing that and it does make a difference with the lean angle. Like I always advise, the little things add up!

supershaft screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 02:41 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #48
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,404
I've got a set of those Tarrozzi's on my bike, I drilled out the hole in front of the pillion peg ( as it was there).
My engine is raised and I have touched the heads down a couple of times but have yet to ground the rearsets.
I found the std brake pivot too short to work and extended it about 30 mm to improve the leverage....still needs work but then I only use the rear brake to preload the front in the wet.
Nice bike build.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #49
sparkymoto
learning a lot here

Oddometer: 210
Fun project! Just caught up. I did the same thing with the set screw on the old cut down brake "pivot-er" :)
I need to improve the leverage on my brake side...cool to see more discussion and set-up refs here.
Good Spark Garage < Rummaging Through Moto-culture - Stories, Pics, Bikes, Vids
sparkymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #50
tall2
n00b

Oddometer: 1
shock application

I like your cafe. I have a R90S with a sidecar. The bikes rear swing arm was converted to a single shock as yours is. I need a new shock and wanted to ask what you used, what spring rate did you get, and how long is it?
Thanks, Frank.
tall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #51
Leadnuts OP
do-over...

Oddometer: 116
well, back to work on the bike...

Its been a while since I've had any time to do any work on the bike... Time to get back at it..

I have been looking desperately for some alternatives for the fork tube top bolts... I have racked my brain and seen the end of the internet and have had little luck finding anything... Which leads me to believe that I am searching incorrectly. The bike has 36mm fork stanchions, I cannot find a thing? I see some of your guys and gals bikes with some non stock bolts, could any of you chime in to give me an idea as to where you found them, or if there is some other bike out there that has the same size. Thanks.

Work started on cutting the waffle head part off the kick start lever to use as the front peg of my brake-side rearset to give a wider toe surface to bare down on. As well as looking a bit more aggressively badas- I'll post a pic when I get it a bit further in the make.

Next decision is weather i want to weld the subframe to the main frame instead of using the bolts.. can't think of down side.

Made a stainless linkage rod for the gear side, waiting on a right angle linkage part, and i will post a pic.
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #52
Leadnuts OP
do-over...

here is what i've decided to do with the top bolts...

modify the original to what I wanted..
the bottom one I have mounted in a drill press and held a die-grinder to take down the top shoulder so it will sink down into the tube further. Cut a short length of round stock to weld into the top opening.

[IMG]WP_001122[/IMG]

Then ground it down..

[IMG]WP_001124[/IMG]

and what it will look like.. I will probably be painting or p-coating them black.

[IMG]WP_001125[/IMG]

And this is what I'm planning to do with the brake pedal. The waffle part is cut from the kick start pedal/level.

[IMG]WP_001123[/IMG]
Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #53
Leadnuts OP
do-over...

Got a few hours today in.. Made a new headlight bracket as the previous one was a different diameter of material than the mirror and it bugged me so do-over... added a little and seem to like it more. Also made the linkage on the gear side, as well as finished the (what i think is cool looking) brake pedal mod.

Here is the new headlamp bracket and process shot..
[IMG]WP_001135[/IMG]

[IMG]WP_001136[/IMG]

I'm going to mod it to shorten the projection forward and lower it a tad.. its just tacked together at the moment.

Brake mod adds a lot of foot support on the rearset.. and looks badas-s

[IMG]WP_001132[/IMG]

and the linkage.. then ran out of time.

[IMG]WP_001133[/IMG]

Ah, almost forgot.. figured out a way to use the existing brake light switch.. Mounted it vertical, and made a little arm that bolts on. little hard to see i the pic.
[IMG]WP_001134[/IMG]

have a nice weekend
Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #54
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
i love your build. very nice work!
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #55
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadnuts View Post
Got a few hours today in.. Made a new headlight bracket as the previous one was a different diameter of material than the mirror and it bugged me so do-over... added a little and seem to like it more. Also made the linkage on the gear side, as well as finished the (what i think is cool looking) brake pedal mod.

Here is the new headlamp bracket and process shot..
[IMG]WP_001135[/IMG]

[IMG]WP_001136[/IMG]

I'm going to mod it to shorten the projection forward and lower it a tad.. its just tacked together at the moment.

Brake mod adds a lot of foot support on the rearset.. and looks badas-s

[IMG]WP_001132[/IMG]

and the linkage.. then ran out of time.

[IMG]WP_001133[/IMG]

Ah, almost forgot.. figured out a way to use the existing brake light switch.. Mounted it vertical, and made a little arm that bolts on. little hard to see i the pic.
[IMG]WP_001134[/IMG]

have a nice weekend
Hey, I like your headlight bracket there. It's much like something I've been thinking up for my T3. Also, I see that you've used a /2 steering damper knob on there. I've always wanted to get one for my /5. Did you have to change the length of the stud in it, or do anything else, or did it just work out? Nice bike there, sir!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #56
Leadnuts OP
do-over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Hey, I like your headlight bracket there. It's much like something I've been thinking up for my T3. Also, I see that you've used a /2 steering damper knob on there. I've always wanted to get one for my /5. Did you have to change the length of the stud in it, or do anything else, or did it just work out? Nice bike there, sir!

Thanks guys,

The knob isn't attached to anything yet but it look like it would work out.. I haven't attached it because it feels like it sticks up so ridiculously high. I might shorten the stalk a bit or just make something entirely different... Seriously it feels like it might hit my jaw if I hit a bump. Funny thing is, it isn't all that much taller than the original, but for some reason it seems waaay taller. The shape is super nice though.. so I don't know.... decisions, decisions...

By the way, if you end up doing a similar bracket there are some roll pins in the lower brace that seem to work brilliantly as a place to fasten when you tap them out.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #57
Leadnuts OP
do-over...

im looking at my exhaust and would like to do something different... But not sure what sort of options are possible. I have a 2 into 1 system now and would love to shorten the actual muffler part. Or get a shorter one. Is this possible or does some sort of calculation need to happen. I see "slip on mufflers" and was thinking that's what they are for but I'm not quite sure.. Anyone? was also has anyone bought one of the kits with a bunch of bends and strait tube and made an exhaust themselves?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #58
Jon-Lars
Jon-Lars

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadnuts View Post
im looking at my exhaust and would like to do something different... But not sure what sort of options are possible. I have a 2 into 1 system now and would love to shorten the actual muffler part. Or get a shorter one. Is this possible or does some sort of calculation need to happen. I see "slip on mufflers" and was thinking that's what they are for but I'm not quite sure.. Anyone? was also has anyone bought one of the kits with a bunch of bends and strait tube and made an exhaust themselves?
Ahem...

Yes, you need to calculate the header length and the single length to the muffler, according to your engine specs.

Well worth it.

Jon-Lars screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 03:04 PM
Jon-Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #59
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Your bike looks awesome, leadnuts! Lots of tasteful, well thought out, and skillfully executed mods! I'm enjoying this one - carry on!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #60
Leadnuts OP
do-over...

Jon-Lars..... Your killing me with your pics. That is such a lovely bike. I will look into that, of course I was hoping to just keep my headed and stick a different silencer on the end.... Yeah guess I'm going the long route.....again. Are there tables floating around with info on this?

Thanks backdrifter..