Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #76
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,768
I would recommend straight argon for Tig welding steel, or stainless. Is your 80/20 argon, and CO2 or??
Old 01-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #77
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,488
^Yes definitely straight argon! 80/20 is for MIG. Also, for TIGing thin stainless, you'll need to back purge, or you'll make weak, corrosion prone welds. I've been learning to TIG for about a year, and I'm only just now getting results that I'm happy with.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #78
Leadnuts OP
do-over...

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
^Yes definitely straight argon! 80/20 is for MIG. Also, for TIGing thin stainless, you'll need to back purge, or you'll make weak, corrosion prone welds. I've been learning to TIG for about a year, and I'm only just now getting results that I'm happy with.
Seeing as I haven't a clue what "back purging" is... sounds dreadful. I'll Mig them, when I find some argon I suppose.

thanks
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #79
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Purging, or back purging is simply filling the tube with argon, to avoid having the integrity of the stainless (or titanium) damaged from oxygen getting to the molten metal on the inside of the tube. for very thin metal, melt through cannot be avoided with tig, or mig. however, exhaust systems are generally around .065 (1/16in.) can be welded without purging, if the heat input is carefully controlled.
For titanium, if there is ant chance of getting close to melt through, it must be purged. However, stainless can be more forgiving. In very structural situations, or when very thin, purging is a must, but you, if not welding too hot, purging can be avoided.
If you are not sure, weld a little bit, then look inside the tube, and look for a black crusty looking (sugar welders call it) growth at the weld seam. if it is smooth, you are good. you cannot get a full penetration weld, without purging stainless.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #80
Leadnuts OP
do-over...

So this morning I wanted to attempt TIG welding stainless for the exhaust.

Here are the results.

Before I spoke to Houseoffubar I was having a heck of a time doing anything worth mentioning... Setting thins up by what the manuel recommended was not exactly working so well. Was about to give it up and try something else.
[IMG]WP_001280[/IMG]

After talking to him I was able to pull off some pretty good lines...
[IMG]WP_001282[/IMG]
[IMG]WP_001283[/IMG]

Had to pack it up for a pre-scheduled play date for my son... but I am hoping tomorrow to get the rest of those joints set.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #81
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Bravo!!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #82
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,488
How the hell did you go from such shitty welds to beautiful work like that so quickly!?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #83
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
How the hell did you go from such shitty welds to beautiful work like that so quickly!?
+ 1 and then some.....
Kai Ju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #84
regomodo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Your 1st attempt with TIG looks like my 1st attempt at using MIG on stainless. I just kept blowing holes or putting down fat beads. You must have practised a lot to get from there to your final results.
regomodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #85
Leadnuts OP
do-over...

Thanks.. Between the top pic and the headers there were of course a few tries... The settings I was using and travel speed were off. Also for some reason I was trying to stitch the weld. As soon as I realized that through the help of someone who knew what they were doing it all came together.. 2 or so hours and I was welding like a boss. I will say the most important thing I learned was fitment of the joint the tighter the fit the beter it looked after.

Today will be the test to see if it was beginners luck.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #86
Leadnuts OP
do-over...

So today finished up the exhaust pipes.. minus a brace and the spring joints.

Later half with collector.
[IMG]WP_001284[/IMG]

Mounted!
[IMG]WP_001287[/IMG]
[IMG]WP_001286[/IMG]

A bit of grinding and the stand out to swing back up into place... I've spent so much time worring about how to get this done I'm not sure what to do next...
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #87
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

What to do next? Raise a pint, nice job, you have earned it!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #88
regomodo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Nice work! Its very tidy. Wish I saved my money and got a tig instead of my mig welder.
regomodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #89
Leadnuts OP
do-over...

I am going to start posting some of the things I find while looking for ideas for the bike. I think you might enjoy them.

[IMG]Photo[/IMG]
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #90
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

As trippy as this looks from the front, imagine riding a bike down the road with 82 reflections facing back! Imagine if the sun hit them from the wrong angle behind you, you could be blinded for life!