Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2015, 03:01 AM   #1
shakin_jake OP
F-u-h-r-i-ggg!

Oddometer: 220
School Me!, Fuel leak Left carb, bike is on the side stand R100GSPD

Figure you pros (old hands) already know this chit

smelt raw fuel in the garage...looked around at all of the gas motors and found this little puddle under the left carb on my GSPD...

closer inspection and I saw wet fuel on the carb

so I followed the leak and looked under the carb...

crummy lighting, but I saw plenty of fuel on what I'm guessing the screw head (brass slot head) to be, is some sort of fuel drain?...yeah?...am I right... is that brass head slot screw a fuel drain?

Also, fuel dripping from the over flow hose?, as/where the hose bends (lowest point)

First airhead for me...only had it 10 weeks, and this is the first fuel leak I've had (or known about). Actually, the vent hose going to the fuel cap had a crack in the hose right where it attached to the fuel vent nipple on the cap and I kept smelling gas so I just cut off the cracked line and no more smelling of fuel vapor while I rode

Getting back to this leak, I'm guessing the needle valve that allows fuel to flow into the carb bowl (fuel inlet valve?), the needle isn't seating on the seat. perhaps a piece of dirt made it's way between the needle and seat?

All of youse that ride airheads (& have ridden them awhile)...I'm going to guess this is a fairly common occurrence? Yes/no? Or at least most of you have come across this a time or two? If so, what's the fix, just remove the float bowl and turn the fuel valve on in anticipation of the dirt making it's way outta the fuel bowl/fuel inlet seat?

Right now, the bike has been sitting in my garage since this past Monday, and the fuel tank petcocks (both of them) are turned off and have been since Monday, so if the fuel inlet valve started leaking on it's own...well...that's what it did

Just thought I'd run this by the intelligentsia here before I pull the float bowl for a look see

No hurry to ride it...the high today is only supposed to be 47 here (Fahrenheit) with the low tomorrow night, it just might be a hard freeze

weekend here (north central Fla.) is supposed to hit mid 70's...here's to hoping so
shakin_jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:12 AM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 9,371
Use the petcocks. Turn the petcocks off for parking. Turn them on for riding.

Replace fuel line.

Take the gas tank off and rinse it out good with water then dry with compressed air. Air dry or use a hair dryer to speed drying.

If there is a lot of flaking red paint coming loose in the gas tank then you may want to reline the tank.

Petcocks should stop the flow of fuel when off. Flow should be sufficient when on. The peeling tank liner clogs them. Take apart to clean. New rubber parts are available.

Do not clean the carbs with spray carb cleaner unless you want to rebuild the carbs. The carb cleaner will destroy O-rings and they will have to be replaced.

This system should work correctly, that is, the fuel petcocks should stop the flow of fuel. If they don't then take them apart and clean. If they leak replace rubber parts.

What year is your bike? Does it have 40mm carbs?

There is a danger the flow of fuel will leak past the overflow tube and enter the cylinder. When the engine is cranked this can cause hydro-lock. This may destroy an engine. To clear the combustion chamber of raw fuel the engine can be cranked with the lugs removed, however, this bike has an electronic ignition and the plug wires must be grounded if the engine is cranked with the plugs out. Remove plugs and reattach plug wire, bungy the plug to the fins of the cylinder ro secure it and provide a ground. Then you can crank the engine. Does any raw fuel come squirting out the plug hole?

Using the center stand for overnight parking is preferred.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341

disston screwed with this post 02-19-2015 at 03:32 AM
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:08 AM   #3
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,727
That's not a fuel leak.

Man, I could've shown you a fuel leak. It was enough to make the coppers back off when they were coming for me with a speeding ticket.
But I put them at ease when I said 'ah, don't worry, it does it all the time'
That was back when I knew more than Bing.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
CptImagine
NCC-1701-B

Oddometer: 229
GS/PD plastic tank, tank sealer is not a problem . Use carb cleaner to clean the outside of the carb, on center stand with petcocks off . Then turn them on to see where the leak is on the cleaned carb body . If it doesn't leak, put it on the side stand and look for the leak . The no clamp fuel line could be cracked at the carb nipple . The rubber tips on the float valve needles fail with age, they display a pronounced ring in the rubber at the seat location . That will allow the tank lines to empty into the float bowl and over fill it, that's my guess . In that case, even with petcocks shut the lines will drain . The bowl gasket could be cracked . The screws are not drains, but all those screws have o rings or gaskets . You might want to clean carb to find out where it's coming from, before taking the carb or bowl off .
CptImagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,646
That's not a leak. Barely a seep or a weep.

THIS is a leak...

Did anyone mention to SHUT THE PETCOCKS OFF when not riding?

--Bill
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 1,051
Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
That's not a leak. Barely a seep or a weep.

THIS is a leak...

Did anyone mention to SHUT THE PETCOCKS OFF when not riding?

--Bill
That picture still tears at my heart.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
At the risk of sounding like a total noob....

I always use the center stand and turn off the petcocks. A couple of years ago, turned on the petcocks and gas shortly began leaking out of the left carb. Thought, "this isn't right". Tapped the float bowl lightly with a plastic mallet and the leak stopped. Hasn't happened again. Stuck float?
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 9,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
At the risk of sounding like a total noob....

I always use the center stand and turn off the petcocks. A couple of years ago, turned on the petcocks and gas shortly began leaking out of the left carb. Thought, "this isn't right". Tapped the float bowl lightly with a plastic mallet and the leak stopped. Hasn't happened again. Stuck float?
Probably stuck float or debris holding the float needle open. The floats can become fuel soaked and not float. The float pin that the float hangs on can be bent (usually when adjusting float level). The float needles can fail either by being worn out or the seat being worn out (this is an early carb problem, with the solid metal float needles.

I think I have fixed a problem with a hammer 3 or 4 times at least. If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrkbukly View Post
That picture still tears at my heart.
The very definition of poignant...

:)

--Bill
Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
deafanddiabetic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
My 75/6 does the same thing on the side stand. I just shut the petcocks off when I'm not running it.

Where did you find that picture, Bill? I'm gonna share it with a few other airheads, they need to soften up their hard ass ways.
deafanddiabetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
anderstornvig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafanddiabetic View Post
Where did you find that picture, Bill? I'm gonna share it with a few other airheads, they need to soften up their hard ass ways.
Searching for "similar images" on google brought me to the story here http://www.ridermagazine.com/feature...the-ashes.htm/
anderstornvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
deafanddiabetic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
That's the saddest thing I've read all day. Glad things worked out though, mother nature is an unforgiving spike strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderstornvig View Post
Searching for "similar images" on google brought me to the story here http://www.ridermagazine.com/feature...the-ashes.htm/
deafanddiabetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,474
Always use fuel taps. If some drunk comes along and opens them up and torches your bike, then that's bad luck.

If you don't turn them off and something happens...that's bad practice.

boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #14
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,416
God dang.....all of these torched airheads are making me a bit verklempt.....

"I'll give you a topic, Grape-Nuts it contains neither grapes, nor nuts. Discuss."
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #15
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Check your float level, its likely a little high.
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote