Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
Ben Carufel OP
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 743
Airhead Tools -- Which Of These is Right? (With Pics!)

Hey folks.

Having owned a handful of Airheads, I find that I've acquired a kind of random assortment of tools. This includes two tool rolls (both surprisingly in good shape with no tears or rips), and a bunch of wrenches and other tools.

I had them all in a bin and finally dug them out to photograph them today -- I'd really appreciate anyone letting me know what tools I should have in the proper kit for my 1972 R60/5. Also, which of the tool rolls is "appropriate" for that bike?

Are some wrenches supposed to exist twice in the kit?

Thanks for any and all help!

Ben

Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 4,033
The only thing there are two of in the kit is the tire irons.
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
mountainJ
I wanna RIDE!

Oddometer: 191
PM sent

Check you PMs!
mountainJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #4
Ben Carufel OP
Boxer Addict

It appears those red reversible screw drivers are big money with the BMW car guys (e9, etc.) assuming they're the same ones...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=151624351768
Old 04-15-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 10,004
The hex wrench sizes are 8, 6, 5, 4 & 3. You want one of each.

The first pic has a box wrench with a socket end. The socket is 27mm for the swing arm. The box end is 36mm for the center nut on the top triple clamp.

Two tire irons.

The Tommy bar is the plain round bar in the second pic. it goes with one of each socket in the first pic. The large socket has a 21mm end for spark plugs. the small socket has a 13mm end for the center cap nut on valve covers.

the rusty feeler gauge needs to be replaced. The small tool above the feeler gauge I do not know. It appears to be a socket?

The hook wrench is for the castle nut on the center steering stem. The two pins in the other end are for the top of the two fork nuts.

The solid metal screwdriver belongs. The red screwdriver belongs. Don't know about the yellow screwdriver. The heavy pair of pliers belongs but I leave that tool out and use the small channel lock pliers instead.

You need an open 27mm for the petcocks. Not in any pic.

Also if the bike is a /5 there is another hook style wrench with pins. It is for the exhaust nuts and whatever else i don't know but this wrench is rarely used.

Wrenches;

Second pic top row, one of the 19 x 22 wrenches belongs. The 22mm is for the axle nuts. (the Tommy bar included earlier is for the other end of the axles)

In the second row, one of each wrench shown. Since there are four 17 x 13 open ends maybe you need two of these. You will end up with a box size 12mm and an open 12mm. Also a box size 10mm and an open size 10mm

I think the red tool bag is earlier but both are correct.

the rusty feeler gauge is useless.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 AM   #6
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,055
The small allen keys need surgery. Their 'special purpose' is not required, at least on my 81

I love my heyco tools and let them feed well on my RS. And often.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:44 AM   #7
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,827
There's s real mixed bag of years there.

That little socket above the feeler gauges is a 13mm and works with the extension bar to undo the centre rocker box nut. I have one in my 100/7 toolbag. I've no idea if it's original or not.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:59 AM   #8
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Carufel View Post
It appears those red reversible screw drivers are big money with the BMW car guys (e9, etc.) assuming they're the same ones...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=151624351768
holy cow those are pricey ... for some reason nice reversible screwdrivers are really hard to find.

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #9
Ben Carufel OP
Boxer Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
holy cow those are pricey ... for some reason nice reversible screwdrivers are really hard to find.
Snowbum doesn't seem to think much of them, either:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbum
The reddish-plastic-handled-screwdriver with the reversible phillips/conventional tip, was almost cheap junk...but usable...unless overly torque'd. Keep it if you want to. LOTS better screwdrivers available.
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/tools.htm
Old 04-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
Ben Carufel OP
Boxer Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
The hex wrench sizes are 8, 6, 5, 4 & 3. You want one of each.

The first pic has a box wrench with a socket end. The socket is 27mm for the swing arm. The box end is 36mm for the center nut on the top triple clamp.

Two tire irons.

The Tommy bar is the plain round bar in the second pic. it goes with one of each socket in the first pic. The large socket has a 21mm end for spark plugs. the small socket has a 13mm end for the center cap nut on valve covers.

the rusty feeler gauge needs to be replaced. The small tool above the feeler gauge I do not know. It appears to be a socket?

The hook wrench is for the castle nut on the center steering stem. The two pins in the other end are for the top of the two fork nuts.

The solid metal screwdriver belongs. The red screwdriver belongs. Don't know about the yellow screwdriver. The heavy pair of pliers belongs but I leave that tool out and use the small channel lock pliers instead.

You need an open 27mm for the petcocks. Not in any pic.

Also if the bike is a /5 there is another hook style wrench with pins. It is for the exhaust nuts and whatever else i don't know but this wrench is rarely used.

Wrenches;

Second pic top row, one of the 19 x 22 wrenches belongs. The 22mm is for the axle nuts. (the Tommy bar included earlier is for the other end of the axles)

In the second row, one of each wrench shown. Since there are four 17 x 13 open ends maybe you need two of these. You will end up with a box size 12mm and an open 12mm. Also a box size 10mm and an open size 10mm

I think the red tool bag is earlier but both are correct.

the rusty feeler gauge is useless.
Thank you, sir! Great bit of info...
Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #11
Beater
The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
What is difficult to find is the simple two ended screw driver on one shaft. A flat and a Phillips on either end ... that is difficult to destroy, but also capable of being used as a simple prybar, poker, and anything else you can use it for. The one's you buy at the hardware store are fancy and try to be everything .... But they forget what most people use the screwdriver for. Screws of course, but paint can opener, pry-bar, scrapper, cotter pin remover ...
Old 04-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,827
Some of the new minis come with a double ended screwdriver. Very similar to the ones in the airhead toolkit but made from a more durable material.

I've just looked on American ebay. Item 281627226148

Another one here with a 2nd shaft. Seems Mercedes shipped this version http://www.authenticclassics.com/Scr...uth-004282.htm

The best for bike kits is the Harley Davidson screwdriver. It's made by snap on and only costs $20. Comes with a lifetime guarantee as well http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/8-in-1-screwdriver

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 04-16-2015 at 10:58 AM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #13
Ben Carufel OP
Boxer Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
The best for bike kits is the Harley Davidson screwdriver. It's made by snap on and only costs $20. Comes with a lifetime guarantee as well http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/8-in-1-screwdriver
That right there is a solid tip! I might get one of those for my 1150GSA toolkit.