User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #181
birdman
No registered bikes

Oddometer: 124
race w/e

Andrew, As of now I plan on being at the next event. I have no endurance ride so I am going to sit out all of the saturday races. Too many mixed classes IMHO. Not a desirable condition on an under-powered bike that needs to hold corner speed, so looks like 500GP, Open GP and Eurocup on Sundays FIM races.

As far as the lift kit, $150 seems fair.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #182
FreeTheBeast OP
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,940
Cool2 We need to talk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Andrew, As of now I plan on being at the next event. I have no endurance ride so I am going to sit out all of the saturday races. Too many mixed classes IMHO. Not a desirable condition on an under-powered bike that needs to hold corner speed, so looks like 500GP, Open GP and Eurocup on Sundays FIM races.

Sending PM for both subjects.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #183
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,373
Quote:

You seem to have some cool bikes Birdman. Got any more details on them?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #184
birdman
No registered bikes

Oddometer: 124
my rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
You seem to have some cool bikes Birdman. Got any more details on them?
Here's a shot from a couple of years ago.

Couple of my bikes that I race mostly with the USCRA and a few AHRMA & VRRA races;

R50/5 on the left. 500GP(USCRA) and Sportsman 500(AHRMA). Engine lifted, raised, moved forward. driveshaft spacer, backbone brace, heavy bracing around frame stem, High CR J/E pistons, heads mildly ported. 336 cam, Luightened flywheel, Straightened intakes running 32mm Mikunis, PVL ignition, MG Lemans 1 chin fairing, 18" rear rim laced to front hub, Hubs lightened front and rear, Dropped upper triple tree brace (Luftmeister I think), additional lower brace made from lower triple, stock front brake arc'd and lined by Vintage Brake. Works Shocks & HD springs up front, 5spd tranny, Ugly stepped exhaust with supertrapps.

R75/5 on right. Open GP(USCRA) and BEARS (AHRMA). High CR Venolia pistons, lightweight gudgeons, CC Products stage III heads, Dual plugged, 44mm intake/42 exhaust, 336 cam, 38mm mikunis with pods, Lightened flywheel, Grimeca 4LS brake set up by Vintage Brake, Dyna ignition (total loss), big tube swingarm,19" front/18"rear, upper and lower fork brace, cable actuated rear brake, Homemade F1 type exhaust canisters, Luftmeister bolt on lateral braces, Works Shocks & HD springs up front, Ducati 750SS fairing. Undergoing mods to lift engine and graft Post 81 tranny. Hope to install PVL over winter.

Not mine, but I get to swing a leg over this occasionally ;
It's a R50S in a /5 frame. Its a joy to race but we had plenty of trials and tribulations along the way. For more details see www.barringtonmotorworks.com/, Motorcycle Gallery/Race bikes/Willie II & III. Hope to race it again next season.

birdman screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 01:21 PM
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #185
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,373
Wow. Some serious stuff going on there. Cheers.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #186
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Very tasty, thanks for posting, more inspiration for my 500 project. Does the 500 run stock sized valves?
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #187
DanMay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
The building of my vintage racer

Here are a few pics of my R50/5 AHRMA racer. I picked it up last winter and have beeing running it this year in AHRMA Production Lightweight.

Grattan Raceway in Michigan

Road America in WI
DanMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #188
FreeTheBeast OP
valebat ascensorem

Laugh Better.

The bike now has borrowed Dellorto 32mm carberators. Also new exhaust headers and silencers. The bike was a LOT more competitive than it was before. Bings may be alright for the street, but they don't work very well on a race track. I was more than 10 seconds a lap quicker with the Dels.

SmugMug Photo Gallary

FreeTheBeast screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 10:18 AM Reason: added picture
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #189
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
Looking better and better. Thank you for the update.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #190
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
The bike now has borrowed Dellorto 32mm carberators. Also new exhaust headers and silencers. The bike was a LOT more competitive than it was before. Bings may be alright for the street, but they don't work very well on a race track. I was more than 10 seconds a lap quicker with the Dels.

Like I always say, Bing's are great carbs if performance is not a concern. Now you just need bigger Dell's for even better performance. More than likely, bigger Dell's or not, you need some long velocity stacks and some longer carb spigots. Set up right, they make a big diff!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #191
FreeTheBeast OP
valebat ascensorem

Laugh I reckon you're right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Like I always say, Bing's are great carbs if performance is not a concern. Now you just need bigger Dell's for even better performance. More than likely, bigger Dell's or not, you need some long velocity stacks and some longer carb spigots. Set up right, they make a big diff!
I agree. Last Tuesday the decision was made to get the bike motor back together and race on Labor Day. The Dellortos are on loan to me. I didn't have much in the way of spare components. The idle jet seems to be completely wrong. The needle jet could be improved. And the main jet was a 124. No stacks available this time around, but I will get some. Another racer gave me a source for stacks. Very fortunately for me, Street and Competition - a vendor at the track, had some main jets (130). These improved the bike's power noticeably from the morning race to the afternoon. With the 130 jets I was able to keep pace with other BMW bikes running 860 and 900 cc motors. Mine is 750. This was a very significant improvement in performance over the Bings.

SmugMug Photo Gallary
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #192
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,207
I wouldn't be surprised if 130's jet the best. I have 130's in my 38mm Dellortos on my R100. My R65 with 32mm Bings jet for best power with 130's too. 130's to 140's are usually it. With 125's in my R100 it feels like you hit the kill switch at a little over 5000rpm in top gear.

Beemers tend to like LONG stacks. Like the late model airbox has, for instance.

supershaft screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 10:08 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:32 AM   #193
FreeTheBeast OP
valebat ascensorem

Wink Video

I put together a video from the racing on Monday. I hope it shows the improved performance of the bike compared to earlier this year...

SmugMug Photo Gallary
Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #194
boxerotto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
nice bikes!!! Do you know who the manufacturer of the chrome pipes is? Regarding the PVL ignition, do you anyone that makes an adapter to fit the PVL to an airhead?

Quote:
Here's a shot from a couple of years ago.

Couple of my bikes that I race mostly with the USCRA and a few AHRMA & VRRA races;

R50/5 on the left. 500GP(USCRA) and Sportsman 500(AHRMA). Engine lifted, raised, moved forward. driveshaft spacer, backbone brace, heavy bracing around frame stem, High CR J/E pistons, heads mildly ported. 336 cam, Luightened flywheel, Straightened intakes running 32mm Mikunis, PVL ignition,

It's a R50S in a /5 frame. Its a joy to race but we had plenty of trials and tribulations along the way. For more details see www.barringtonmotorworks.com/, Motorcycle Gallery/Race bikes/Willie II & III. Hope to race it again next season.
boxerotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #195
FreeTheBeast OP
valebat ascensorem

Cool2 BMW RA magazine

My bike was in the BMW Riders Association's magazine, On The Level. November 2012 issue. Pages 54-60. It looks great in glossy!

SmugMug Photo Gallary