Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #241
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
PJ

How do roadriders work on the road for commandos?

Any views on what sizes to use.......19" rear.

Sorry, no idea. I had TT100s when I had a road Commando. I really like TT100s. They give a predictable squirm when they are on the limit. Kind of a warning not to push it any more.

On the racer I've tried, Metzeler ME33 front ( nice when they made a soft compound) ME99 rear ( ditto), KR124s ( not road legal) And now it's on Dunlop TT900 GPs 90/90 -18 front and 120.80 -18 rear. They are very grippy and I really like them. I dont recall ever using Avon Roadriders.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #242
280racer
AKA: WrongTiredGuy

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Out of interest how modified are your guys motors ?
#91 is essentially stock
#280 has a warmed over crank, Carillo rods, Venolia HC offset-pin pistons, big valve heads, cam, 36mm Mikunis, shortened cylinders and a partridge in a pear tree
Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #243
280racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post

You are comparing a 90/90/18 to a 110/80/18.
Ummm... yes, I know that. I am comparing all of the available 18" Avon race-compound tires. AM22 was on the bike when I got it. I never liked it, slow, and I was using all the tire even when I was new to the track and the bike, and I was slow. Then I crashed it and tossed it. In a pinch we tried the AM18 because it has a much deeper profile. It had better grip and as my times came down and down it never gave me cause for concern but it steered heavier than the AM22 (expected of course as it was a 120). During the winter rebuild I discovered the AM26 race-compound version of the RoadRider and immediately was attracted to the smaller size and very deep, designed-as-a-front-tire profile. FTB and I fitted them and both agree the handling and turn-in are much improved over the AM22 (that we both had tried). With the AM26 I have much more confidence in the front-end versus the AM22, turn-in is better, and handling is more neutral not requiring pressure on the bars to maintain a line in the corners.

If anyone else wants to talk about tires, let's do it in PM. OK? FTB will probably appreciate if we stop hijacking his thread.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #244
FreeTheBeast OP
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 3,000
Cool2 Tires - those black things?

I don't care if you talk about tires in this thread. Talk about paint additives if you want to.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #245
280racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
I am kinda curious about the suspension set up. I would thought a newer model monoshock forks or chassis might be a better choice?
How are the forks set up?
And why not the frame supports stretching across the motor? Always heard about Airheads flexing?

Looks really sharp and obviously the suspension is working for you, nice work and great fun.
In Vintage racing we need to use vintage designs. Our bikes compete in classes that are restricted to roughly early 70's technology. #91's frame is basically stock while #280 does have a braced frame and swing-arm as well as shortened cylinders (for clearance as opposed to raising the engine). Forks are more or less stock except progressive springs. We've played with preload spacers and oil weight to get things to work nicely and of course, fork bracing. #280 has a telefix style brace while #91 uses a more "conventional" BMW-style brace plus an additional modified lower triple clamp added a bit further down the legs.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #246
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
A lot of front tires can be used in the back like the AM22. That does not mean it was designed as a rear tire!

The AM22 is a 110, not a 120.

The AM22 slowed my turn in a bit too but so would a larger size tire of any one type compared to a smaller tire of the same type. The extra grip was the AM22's advantage. That and it didn't cup and gripped very well until the tread was very worn.

Sorry 280r but you were never using all of a AM22. Especially going slow. All the much faster lap times turned with them proves that without a doubt IMO. IMO, your are looking at things completely wrong if you think running a tire to the edge of it's tread pattern is using all the tire. That is just not so.

I wish I was having the same experience with DOT AM26's. They make my bike hunt and weave to the point that it is dangerous.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #247
smokskrene
Creeper

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
So, let's go straight to the finished product...

This bike will be my racing bike in the USCRA race series. Its chassis is a 1970 BMW R75 /5. It has a 750 motor assembled from different sources of used parts.

But all of this began with Marcus -

I met Marcus while racing in hill climb races in Vermont. He has been building bikes and competing in vintage racing for a number of years. As you can see, Marcus is an interesting individual. Anyway, in 2011 I went to a few of the races at New Hampshire Motor Speedway and thought it looked like a lot of fun. Over the Winter, I bought the most part of a bike from Marcus.

The motor came without pistons or cylinders...wire harness...ignition system...etc.

I needed to get a lot of things to get the thing together. I brought it over to my friends at MAX BMW. I was able to get all of the used parts that I needed. The motor was assembled at MAX and the gearbox was tuned up.

I took care of the frame. I coated it using POR15 Bare Metal. It is supposed to look like naked metal. I think it looks okay for a vintage racer.

The frame went back to MAX BMW and it was put together.

I put Avon race rubber on it. I ordered a custom top brace from ToasterTan.

I'm using a Shorai battery. I have mounted it under the seat cowling.

I enlisted the help of my buddy, Pat (Adv: Mudhen), to weld on a piece of angle iron as a base for the steering damper.

I think this catch bottle will certainly make the bike go faster...

The belly pan is a custom piece of work by another friend, Mike (Adv: 280racer), who will also be racing with me.

So, the bike is done. All safety wiring is complete. The thing runs and sounds pretty good. New racing leathers should be ready any day now. I'm looking forward to it. The first races are in early May. This year is all about getting out on track and learning what's going on. The 32mm Bings aren't going to light up this bike, but I should certainly get around the track.

Rear sets: Boxer Metal
Seat and starter cover: BoxerCafe.com
Top brace: ToasterTan
Nice bike! Where did you find the fork stabilizer?
smokskrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #248
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280racer View Post
Ummm... yes, I know that. I am comparing all of the available 18" Avon race-compound tires. AM22 was on the bike when I got it. I never liked it, slow, and I was using all the tire even when I was new to the track and the bike, and I was slow. Then I crashed it and tossed it. In a pinch we tried the AM18 because it has a much deeper profile. It had better grip and as my times came down and down it never gave me cause for concern but it steered heavier than the AM22 (expected of course as it was a 120). During the winter rebuild I discovered the AM26 race-compound version of the RoadRider and immediately was attracted to the smaller size and very deep, designed-as-a-front-tire profile. FTB and I fitted them and both agree the handling and turn-in are much improved over the AM22 (that we both had tried). With the AM26 I have much more confidence in the front-end versus the AM22, turn-in is better, and handling is more neutral not requiring pressure on the bars to maintain a line in the corners.

If anyone else wants to talk about tires, let's do it in PM. OK? FTB will probably appreciate if we stop hijacking his thread.
Did you watch the GP yesterday? They had high speed camera's checking out tire wear. It's a good thing none of the GP riders are concerned about using 'all the tire' since everyone does. Even in the rain. At any rate, tire choice is super important if you want to win. Trying to convince people that you are using all the tire unless there are some wanker strips on them is just flat out wrong. At least according to most everybody.

supershaft screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 03:47 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #249
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,113
using it

all the tire, all the time
Old 05-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #250
FreeTheBeast OP
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 3,000
Bluhduh Hmmmm....unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokskrene View Post
Fortunately for me, it was a freebie from 280racer. I don't know the brand or a source to find one.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #251
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Where did you source the belly pan/ oil catch try?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #252
280racer

Belly pan...

The belly pan is my own design, rendered in fiberglass. The current design, on #280, houses the battery in the rear. The tail section and fenders on #280 are, similarly, my own design and execution (which was a LOT of fun!).

The steering damper is an NHK unit from Fast from the Past here:

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servl...3D85mm-/Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
Where did you source the belly pan/ oil catch try?

280racer screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 06:58 AM
280racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #253
280racer

In action...

A fellow racer, in another class, just happened to catch FTB and I in action on May 19th at NHMS. The camera angle misses a lot but if you start watching around 7 minutes you will see FTB and I pass the guy with the camera, FTB on the left, me on the right. The next couple laps are fun (for me anyway), especially my duel with the Guzzi, and then we're pretty much out of view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDtoA...&feature=share

280racer screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 11:44 AM
280racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #254
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,404
That was cool to watch having breakie on a cold Auckland day....
I see classic bike racing fills the stands much like here...... wives and girlfriends who get dragged along.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #255
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokskrene View Post
Hey smokescreen if you are going to quote a post you can delete the unnecessary pics & keep the pic you want to refer to- it keeps the thread cleaner. Cheers padmei
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote