Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #31
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
I use the outrageously expensive Avons. I haven't found anything suitable to replace them. Some guys use a Dunlop KR 124A on the front and a KR164 on the rear, but they are the same price as Avons.

On my Norton 750 I use a Dunlop TT900 GP 90/90 and 120/80, but they are only H rated which is 130MPH max. The big BM goes faster than that.

I tried the BT45 on the front but had a crash when I lost the front braking into a hairpin and found that saving money on tyres is a false economy .... the crash cost more than the tyres would have

I'm hearing you... Not so much saving money is " have to start somewhere" ....Your running 18 on the front?
my Norton is only for weekend rides so has good old Dunlop TT's ( came with them).
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #32
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
I'm hearing you... Not so much saving money is " have to start somewhere" ....Your running 18 on the front?
my Norton is only for weekend rides so has good old Dunlop TT's ( came with them).
Fair enough. The Bridgestones are pretty good. Probably as good as you'll get in an 18" road tyre. I was playing with them to try to overcome a pattering ( chattering to our US friends) that I had with the Avons.
I probably crashed due to my own fault braking too late and a bit off line.

I just realised that what I said about the Bridgestones may have put a little doubt in your mind about them, and confidence in your tyres is crucial to going quick. so please ignore my previous comments. They are good, but not quite as good as the Avons.

Yeah, 18" front and back.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #33
FreeTheBeast OP
Chocks away!

Oddometer: 2,851
Cry First race...not according to plan

Well, the first race weekend is over. The bike had issues. The shifter arm was moving on the gearbox shaft. I wasn't able to shift the bike very well on Saturday, but I got through my only race that day. I came in a solid last place. It was probably because I hadn't tightened down the set screw well enough. So, in an effort to sort that out, I tried to remove the shifter arm. It came off half way and then got stuck. It took a bit of work to get it either back on or get it off. Finally got it off the shaft.

I believe the banging and cranking on the shaft really fouled up the alignment inside the gearbox. Sunday morning I put back on the shifter arm nice and properly. I thought I was all set and ready to go. Set off onto the track to find I couldn't shift the bike into 3rd gear. I could only use 1st and 2nd. Bugger! I was done. I wasn't going to tear into the gearbox there at the track. I will try to find a 5 speed gearbox. I have a 4 speed one in there now. And with the 5 speed gearbox, find a newer clutch and flywheel.

I was quite disappointed Sunday morning, but I got over it. I will chalk it up to experience. I was still able to learn a lot about how the event is run. I had a fun weekend all the same, although racing would have made it more fun. Next race is a one day event on 11 June. I'll return from watching the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal the evening before and then get to the track, which is 30 miles from my home, to do my own racing.

For pictures from the whole weekend, click on the photo above. It will take you to the gallery.

~ap blog
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #34
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,603
The starter might be a bit of extra weight but at least it is right wear it matters the least up toward the front and right around the pitch axis. Mass centralization works.

It's too bad Avon quit making their old street tires. They gripped much better than BT45's. Not as well as Avon race but night and day better than BT45's. At some point while you are getting better and using the throttle more and the brakes less you have to really start working with your tires. Most bias ply street tires are always "off" grip wise compared to good tires. When good tires are good, you can go WAY faster on them but good tires "go off" and when they go off they aren't any better than normal tires. You have to constantly adjust your riding to the condition of the tires especially if you can't afford to swap tires at the first signs of your tires going off. It's easy to under ride new tires and over ride old tires. Over riding old tires can be fun IF you know they are "off"! Good luck!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #35
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
I suppose one is bound to have some issues first race. It's good you are taking it in stride and moving forward. I hope you have better luck with your next race.

I'm getting to the point where I would like to do this with my /5. It's a tough call because It's such a joy to ride in the first place. For now I'll live vicariously through people like you.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #36
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

It's hard to see from the photo how that shifter thing is held onto the shaft. By a pinch bolt I guess. It looks to me that it's a fairly solid lump of alloy and may be a bit inflexible to be cruched onto the shaft by a small 6mm bolt.

I use the genuine part from BMW. It's steel and is attached by a bolt up the middle into the shaft. That's on a 5 speed . I would really look into replacing that with something made of steel.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #37
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,282
Quote:
It's hard to see from the photo how that shifter thing is held onto the shaft. By a pinch bolt I guess. It looks to me that it's a fairly solid lump of alloy and may be a bit inflexible to be cruched onto the shaft by a small 6mm bolt.

I use the genuine part from BMW. It's steel and is attached by a bolt up the middle into the shaft. That's on a 5 speed . I would really look into replacing that with something made of steel.
It's a 4 speed and it uses a locking 8mm set screw from the thick side. They work very well if they are tightened down all the way:)
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #38
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
It's a 4 speed and it uses a locking 8mm set screw from the thick side. They work very well if they are tightened down all the way:)
Can you use a 5 speed in US vintage racing?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #39
FreeTheBeast OP
Chocks away!

5 is okay

Quote:
Can you use a 5 speed in US vintage racing?
Yes. Not a problem using a 5 speed gearbox. At least for USCRA.

The problems I had were not because of the parts. If installed correctly, I think I would have had more success. Like I said, experience was gained.

~ap blog
SmugMug Photo Gallary
Old 05-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #40
FreeTheBeast OP
Chocks away!

Cool2 video from the weekend...

~ap blog
SmugMug Photo Gallary
Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #41
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
The problems I had were not because of the parts. If installed correctly, I think I would have had more success. Like I said, experience was gained.

That's good. Hopefully the selection issue will be easily solved.
Good luck for next time.

FWIW I did a bit of racing last weekend and there were so few entries they put the three of us in with "pre Modern" which included 916 Dukes and YZF 1000s.

We only got lapped once and because there were trophies down to third place, we all got one!!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #42
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,157
That video was fantastic - I was leaning in my seat & nearly caught that guy on the outside

Voltaire has finally sucumbed to pressure & has started his own racer thread. i figure if you're reading this you'll be interested.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790873

Padmei screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 02:13 AM
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #43
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

What kind of camera did you use for the video?

I bought a cheap $60 MD80, it's really susceptible to vibration, even the BM had to much for it.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 AM   #44
FreeTheBeast OP
Chocks away!

Cool2 GoPro video

The video footage was captured with a GoPro HD camera. It has pretty good stabilization. This footage was done on two bikes, but both had the camera mounted to the handlebars.

I used iMovie on an Apple MacBook Pro to edit and compile the video.

~ap blog
SmugMug Photo Gallary
Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #45
rambozo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
didn't expect to hear jim croce when i pressed play

nice video
rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote