ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Taranis OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: LBC, yo.
Oddometer: 357
Baja Designs Love-In Thread

I just opened the box and took the bubble wrap off a new Baja Designs 8-in. racelight. Amazing. I'm really hard-to-please with OCD attention to detail, and the content, overall build quality, fit and finish, etc. on this system are far nicer than I expected.

I already bought their dual-sport flexible turn signals. Not a huge deal, just turn signals. But they also had more content and detail than I expected, and more than the OE signals on my Husky.

That's two for two of better-than-expected products from BD.

Very impressed, and happy to be a customer.
__________________
DIRT BIKES ARE FUN AND INTERESTING

Taranis screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 06:19 PM
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Baja Designs
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 511
Thanks for the support we really appreciate it. Glad to hear you like everything

Gordon BD
__________________
www.BAJADESIGNS.com
christian@bajadesigns.com
760 560 2252 ext 126
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
i like bajadesign stuff too. great quality for sure!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 10,098
I was surprised at the quality of the switchgear, mirrors, etc. on the BD kit that came on my MXC. It is every bit as good as the factory stuff that came on all my LC4E.

Actually maybe better now that I think about it since I plan to swap the KTM tail light for a BD LED replacement.
__________________
640E, MXC200, XT200
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
joenuclear
Planning.....
 
joenuclear's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 6,135
They have shown consistent improvement on their product line since inception.

[do I get a cookie?]
__________________
"They bought me a box of tin soldiers. I threw all the Generals away. I smashed up the Sergeants and Majors. Now I play with my Privates all day."
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Baja Designs
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
They have shown consistent improvement on their product line since inception.

[do I get a cookie?]
Thanks for the support joe!!!

If you guys ever want more baja designs stuff
Give me a call so you can get your 10% forum member discount
Thanks
Mike
BD
760 560 2252
ext 101
__________________
www.BAJADESIGNS.com
christian@bajadesigns.com
760 560 2252 ext 126
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vitruvian Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Dumont, CO
Oddometer: 139
Hey Gordon,

I'm considering one of your dual setups for both my F800GS and R1150GSA. I like the design of the dual 8" lights (thinking Hondas and KTMs), but believe the're going to be too large. Would like to do that design for dual 6" units.

Will this require a stator change/upgrade?
Any other possible electrical considerations?
Do you think BD would be interested in pursuing this, even as a one off deal?

Thanks much!
vMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post

If you guys ever want more baja designs stuff
Give me a call so you can get your 10% forum member discount
Thanks
Mike
BD
760 560 2252
ext 101
__________________
2005 1150 GSA
2010 F800 GS
2011 F650 GS
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Baja Designs
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 511
What year are your bikes? Do you have any crash bars? Your trying to mount them as the dual headlight setup correct? Then ill be able to tell a little more about your stator etc.
I would recommend going with the dual 4" fuego motorcycle kit it really would be plenty of light. We have guys that run that on some race bikes and it would be lighter.
We unfortunately cant make a on off, but what size are your fork tubes you might be able to use one of our other mounts.
Thanks
Mike
BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitruvian Mike View Post
Hey Gordon,

I'm considering one of your dual setups for both my F800GS and R1150GSA. I like the design of the dual 8" lights (thinking Hondas and KTMs), but believe the're going to be too large. Would like to do that design for dual 6" units.

Will this require a stator change/upgrade?
Any other possible electrical considerations?
Do you think BD would be interested in pursuing this, even as a one off deal?

Thanks much!
vMike
__________________
www.BAJADESIGNS.com
christian@bajadesigns.com
760 560 2252 ext 126
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vitruvian Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Dumont, CO
Oddometer: 139
Hey Mike

They're a 2005 R1150GSA with a single set if PIAAs (which would come off), and a 2010 F800GS, with no aux lights. Additionally, both are running crash bars.

The forks on the 1150 are the telelever sprung type using 35mm diameter.
The forks on the 800 are 45mm diameter.

Yes, definitely want to do a dual headlight setup. Already have PIAAs mounted on the standard aux light bar mount on the 1150, and as it turns out, that is not a great place to mount them. Trashed one (same one) twice, the latest incident of which was on a single track trail with a nice thick branch whack.

Any idea what would be necessary to wire it up to either of the bikes? Really like you guys' design and looking for a better lighting situation. The 1150 now is okay with the PIAAs, but the 800 is anemic at best. I try not to ride at night, but for all my efforts, night riding happens.

Really appreciate it very much. I'm interested enough to put some money into this conversion if it is possible. Even if I end up needing to employ the aid of a friend with a CNC machine to build the fork mount brackets.

Thanks very much for your help!
vMike




Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
What year are your bikes? Do you have any crash bars? Your trying to mount them as the dual headlight setup correct? Then ill be able to tell a little more about your stator etc.
I would recommend going with the dual 4" fuego motorcycle kit it really would be plenty of light. We have guys that run that on some race bikes and it would be lighter.
We unfortunately cant make a on off, but what size are your fork tubes you might be able to use one of our other mounts.
Thanks
Mike
BD
__________________
2005 1150 GSA
2010 F800 GS
2011 F650 GS
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
mookybird
Gramps
 
mookybird's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington State
Oddometer: 213
Being an ex desert rider who recently started riding again on the muddy, rocky, root filled trails on the Olympic Peninsula I can give a big thumbs up for how tough the BD flexible turn signals are. It's been down pretty hard more than a couple of times and they are still working as well as new. "the mirror in the photo is history"

I plated the bike about a week ago and wedged a chunk of lexan between the headlight fairing cover and support structure and it has been through the same treatment, it's just high enough to take the air pressure off of my chest and help cut down the helmet lift I was getting from my visor once I hit 60 or so.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
squish
Out of the office.
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Where the Ghetto meets the sea.
Oddometer: 6,002
The wife got a kit for CRF230F, and we had to add about a 2" deep spacer for the Baja kit headlight to clear the CDI and other stuff mounted in front of the steering head.

But other then that the kit's been decent, still need to get a rewound, (or really wound) stator for that bike.
__________________
On vacation for a spell
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vitruvian Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Dumont, CO
Oddometer: 139
Hey Squish,

Do you have any pics of that setup?

Cheers,
vMike


Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
The wife got a kit for CRF230F, and we had to add about a 2" deep spacer for the Baja kit headlight to clear the CDI and other stuff mounted in front of the steering head.

But other then that the kit's been decent, still need to get a rewound, (or really wound) stator for that bike.
__________________
2005 1150 GSA
2010 F800 GS
2011 F650 GS
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
Baja Designs
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 511
You could mount two 4" fuego HIDs on the 800 with a few of our brackets.We also have a wiring harness we could sell you that is plug in play to wire them all up. Another option since you have crash bars would be our adventure bike kit which is two LED squadron lights which is insanely bright and can even be dimmed.
Ill show you the link for that kit and a picture.
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...nture-Bike-Kit
If your willing to invest in some custom mounts you could go with the 6" PreRunners or the 4" fuegos or the squadrons and mount them to the forks no problem and our wiring harness would be plug and play with any of those lights.
If you have any questions feel free to pm me, respond back here or give me a call
Dont forget forum members get 10% off there order
Thanks
Mike
BD
760 560 2252
ext 101




Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitruvian Mike View Post
Hey Mike

They're a 2005 R1150GSA with a single set if PIAAs (which would come off), and a 2010 F800GS, with no aux lights. Additionally, both are running crash bars.

The forks on the 1150 are the telelever sprung type using 35mm diameter.
The forks on the 800 are 45mm diameter.

Yes, definitely want to do a dual headlight setup. Already have PIAAs mounted on the standard aux light bar mount on the 1150, and as it turns out, that is not a great place to mount them. Trashed one (same one) twice, the latest incident of which was on a single track trail with a nice thick branch whack.

Any idea what would be necessary to wire it up to either of the bikes? Really like you guys' design and looking for a better lighting situation. The 1150 now is okay with the PIAAs, but the 800 is anemic at best. I try not to ride at night, but for all my efforts, night riding happens.

Really appreciate it very much. I'm interested enough to put some money into this conversion if it is possible. Even if I end up needing to employ the aid of a friend with a CNC machine to build the fork mount brackets.

Thanks very much for your help!
vMike
__________________
www.BAJADESIGNS.com
christian@bajadesigns.com
760 560 2252 ext 126
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vitruvian Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Dumont, CO
Oddometer: 139
I'll definitely be in touch Mike. Not really liking the crashbar option, but willing to invest in custom mounts for sure. I'll PM and we'll figure out how to make this happen.

Thanks!
vMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
You could mount two 4" fuego HIDs on the 800 with a few of our brackets.We also have a wiring harness we could sell you that is plug in play to wire them all up. Another option since you have crash bars would be our adventure bike kit which is two LED squadron lights which is insanely bright and can even be dimmed.
Ill show you the link for that kit and a picture.
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...nture-Bike-Kit
If your willing to invest in some custom mounts you could go with the 6" PreRunners or the 4" fuegos or the squadrons and mount them to the forks no problem and our wiring harness would be plug and play with any of those lights.
If you have any questions feel free to pm me, respond back here or give me a call
Dont forget forum members get 10% off there order
Thanks
Mike
BD
760 560 2252
ext 101


__________________
2005 1150 GSA
2010 F800 GS
2011 F650 GS
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
Baja Designs
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 511
Sounds good mike we will definitely help you out and get you setup with your discount.
Thanks for the support
Mike
BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitruvian Mike View Post
I'll definitely be in touch Mike. Not really liking the crashbar option, but willing to invest in custom mounts for sure. I'll PM and we'll figure out how to make this happen.

Thanks!
vMike
__________________
www.BAJADESIGNS.com
christian@bajadesigns.com
760 560 2252 ext 126
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014