User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
BD Squadron LED in Husaberg FE390

As anyone with a -09 to -11 Husaberg FExxx knows, the 35watt headlight on these bikes is a joke, downright dangerous at night if you actually dual-sport the bike or try to ride tougher trails offroad.

The FE 70degree bikes have 210 watts to play with so I started looking at the latest tech, looked at the HID dirtbike units and decided I wanted to try LED lights.

There are getting to be more great products in this category, but a friend pointed me at Baja Designs new 3600 lumen, 45 watt Squadron LED race light.

I happened to have a Dakar supporter discount coupon for Baja Designs so I took the leap and got the Squadron in the Polisport mask, the only option available at the time.

When I got it, I decided I didn't like the look of the Polisport mask on the 'Berg and wanted to find a way to mount the Squadron in the OEM Husaberg mask and keep the lines of the bike the same.

The Squadron 3 x 3 is pretty small after removing from the Polisport mask and metal flange.

This is what the Husaberg mask looks like behind, with bulb socket removed. Not a lot of room to work with.

I came up with a flange design of my own

and was just about to fab it up, when Baja Designs announced they were offering a kit to retrofit the the Squadron to -05 to -07 OEM KTM's masks.
I was particularly interested in the flange used in this kit.

The flange looked pretty close to my design, and the great folks at BD made the just the flange and mount hardware used for this kit available for purchase.

Out came the OEM headlight

This is what I received in the BD kit, along with my OEM Husaberg mask and light frame, and the Squadron from my Polisport kit.

Some of the hardware in this kit I didn't need, like the foam and brackets. It was the flange I wanted.

cyborg screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 10:01 PM
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

The Squadron mounted up in the new flange

The initial mounting using the supplied nylon spacers, so far so good.

Hmm, the OEM plastic headlight frame on the bottom right blocks the Squadron from moving backwards for beam adjustment.

Out comes the Dremel

All better now. Subtle but just what was needed.

Clears now

Then discovered the beam adjustment screw in the new flange was too low to match the Berg's frame, so had to drill a new 13/64" hole a little higher.

Now it works

OK, time for first fit... Argh, no go, way too big on the sides to allow the flange to move back.

Looks like more mods needed. Good thing aluminum is easy to cut and drill.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

I put the my original template on the new flange and planned a few cuts

and ended up with this

Sorry BD, the logo silkscreen chipped off very easily during the bandsawing.

Now to fit it up!

Needed to cut down the supplied 22mm tall spacers to 17mm to get the proper flange angle.

Then into the OEM mask

The nitty gritty electrical install on the back. Note the tiny Skene Designs IQ-170A dimmer. This allows me to program any dim setting from 0% to 100% using the high beam switch and has a High beam override wire also run by the high beam switch. The "A" feature also has a "Alert" mode which flashes a full power pattern to really wake up motorists at crossroads, etc. Worth the extra $20 to me, since a dual-sport dirtbike is even hard to see on the road.

I used a KTM starter pushbutton I had laying around to give me a better High beam instant flasher, and it works in conjunction with the regular headlight switch. Cobbled it in there.

Plugged it all in...

It fits, and it works perfectly!

IMHO it fits the look of the bike pretty well. I'm happy with it.

The night test was awesome, this light is SUPER bright, too bright for paved road traffic, and the dimmer works perfectly to keep the oncoming cars happy. I'll post a few nighttime pictures and vids soon.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
AdventureDave
MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer: 664
Excellent. Thanks Cyborg, i have been interested in this light since I saw the release. So are you saying that with the dimmer it is suitable to use as a replacement for street use (I understand its still illegal)?

Cheers

David
AdventureDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Is there a shield over the LED's? I couldn't tell, between bugs and mud clean up might be a challenge.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Is there a shield over the LED's? I couldn't tell, between bugs and mud clean up might be a challenge.
Yes there is a 3 x 3 polycarbonate cover over all 4 bulbs, it's just very clear. Replacement covers are a few bucks at BD I'm told. I saw where some have added yest another mud guard shield in from of that, but I'll try running this light just like it is.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDave View Post
Excellent. Thanks Cyborg, i have been interested in this light since I saw the release. So are you saying that with the dimmer it is suitable to use as a replacement for street use (I understand its still illegal)?

Cheers
David
Yes I would say with the dimmer it's very acceptable for street use, especially compared to all the glaring HID's cars and bikes run. At the programmed Low Beam setting, it's still plenty of light to ride in traffic with and I don't get irritated flashes from oncoming cars. Already ridden past a few local police cars during the day and night and no issues.

When it opens up, hit the High beam - Oh Yeah!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Is the light you purchased in the Squadron the same as The OffRoad Light Spot or the Off Road Light Driving setup, any idea? Or maybe a mix of both?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Is the light you purchased in the Squadron the same as The OffRoad Light Spot or the Off Road Light Driving setup, any idea? Or maybe a mix of both?
Gordon said it's the "Driving" version, and it does look that way, better spread.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,813
Nice!

I like what you did. The end result looks very nice.

What power setting did you end up w/ for the low beam?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
I just want to blame you for causing me to spend more money!!! I just wanted you to realize this!

Awesome write up! Thanks.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Great write-up Cyborg. Glad it all came together for you.

I'm interested in doing a similar set-up and have a question for you. Are you using the Skene IQ 170 in addition to the BD dimmer or the Skene dimmer by itself? If the Skene by itself, were you able to wire it into the CEV switch cluster and have the CEV switch cluster control the light and high beam function?

Thanks for the write up.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Hey Clif,

We came up with those same mods while installing the lights at base camp at 4500 meters. No band saw to modify the aluminum plate so I used the Leatherman to cut off the plastic side supports that are used for the indicators, then the flange fits.

I do like your solution a lot though, hopefully BD will start making a proper adapter plate for the Bergs?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,005
Good write up cyborg !

I realize you started your project before BD was finished with their development work, but I take it that their Squadron replacement for the earlier KTMs and Bergs would need the same mods to it that you ended up doing ?
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Nice!
I like what you did. The end result looks very nice.
What power setting did you end up w/ for the low beam?
Thanks Dan, no idea what % dim I ended up with, just aimed it at a wall and knocked it down until I thought it looked reasonable, enough light to ride by and also cars not flashing me. Next time I'll count the increments. WAG would be 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Great write-up Cyborg. Glad it all came together for you.
I'm interested in doing a similar set-up and have a question for you. Are you using the Skene IQ 170 in addition to the BD dimmer or the Skene dimmer by itself? If the Skene by itself, were you able to wire it into the CEV switch cluster and have the CEV switch cluster control the light and high beam function?
Thanks for the write up.
Thanks team ftb. I am using the Skene IQ 170-A. The 'A' option is awesome. I have it wired so everything works normally on the CEV switches. Low is (program-n-forget) low dimmer, High is max power. Thanks to the front 'parking/marker' light circuit the Berg's have, I don't even need a diode between Hi/Lo. Since the CEV headlight switch is too clunky/slow to rapidly flash High beam for Alert and Programming, I added the momentary pushbutton switch in parallel to the High beam wire for those duties. It's now like the Euro "flash" switch my KTM990 has. Two taps on the flash button and ZOWIE! no way a car getting ready to pull out in front of you will miss it! The Skene site has videos and I will take some too eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Hey Clif,
We came up with those same mods while installing the lights at base camp at 4500 meters. No band saw to modify the aluminum plate so I used the Leatherman to cut off the plastic side supports that are used for the indicators, then the flange fits.
I do like your solution a lot though, hopefully BD will start making a proper adapter plate for the Bergs?
Hey Lukas!
I didn't want to cut any Berg plastic and wanted my flange to fit as well as the OEM headlight. I have the traced flange pattern now, just not in CAD yet. Happy to give that to BD.
Your mountain trip was truly EPIC/FANTASTIC/BRILLIANT!