Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #16
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
If you change your mind and decide to go South down Baja, you can get your TVIP and Visa just at the border in Tijuana. The Tourist visa you get literally right at border entrance. Park on right. walk over to Migracion Turistica Kiosk or some such.

Banjercito office is due West from the Migracion office but you can't walk there. Ride your bikes over. It's about a block away. As you pass through border, take immediate right, watch for Banjercito sign, another right and your in. Park where they tell you, walk in and get TVIP. Should only take about an hour. They are rarely busy.

You will need:
Passport
Credit card
Bike registration in your name (or title)
No proof of Mex insurance required ... but not a bad idea to have.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarren View Post
Thanks for the tip on the Banjercito, I was wondering how close or far it was gonna be. Apparently you can do most of the process online in advance now on the Internet, but we didn't start the process with enough lead time.
Getting into and out of Mexico will be the easiest border crossing of your trip. You will go to immigration and get a 180 day tourist visa. Don't tell them you are heading to Guatemala, tell them that you plan on touring all over Mexico. They will send you to the Banjercito to pay for the tourist visa. Once you have the tourist visa, go back to the Banjercito and tell them you want a TVIP. They will need your original title, your driver's license (good idea to get a least one international DL from AAA) and your passport. They may also require you to get photocopies of the same. They will check the VIN on the bike, then charge you about $35 for the permit. They will also require you to pay a deposit on the bike of $300/$400 depending upon the year of the bike. This can either be cash or a credit card, and will be refunded when you exit the country into Guatemala.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
einnocent OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Banjercito + Cinco de Mayo?

We will be crossing over on May 5. Do you think we may have problems finding an open banjercito or have any other problems because of this?
=>Karen Chu -- For all your graphic design and branding needs.
einnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

I don't believe it's a national (federal) holiday. But you may find some celebrations, not sure on this. Look up the history, IIRC, it celebrates Mexico's victory over the French.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
The oaths awesome! I should of thought of something like that for my last trip. It might have saved it.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by einnocent View Post
We will be crossing over on May 5. Do you think we may have problems finding an open banjercito or have any other problems because of this?
I crossed on Nov 2nd (holiday) and the bank was closed. Depending where you are, you can pay later. I paid in LaPaz when crossing over to Mazatlan.

IMO, if I were to do it again, I'd kill a day and cross when things are open. It was a mild headache and without fluent spanish it could have been easier.

Baja is a special case though. The mainland has different rules.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #22
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I crossed on Nov 2nd (holiday) and the bank was closed. Depending where you are, you can pay later. I paid in LaPaz when crossing over to Mazatlan.

IMO, if I were to do it again, I'd kill a day and cross when things are open. It was a mild headache and without fluent spanish it could have been easier.

Baja is a special case though. The mainland has different rules.
True, you both can ride all the way down to La Paz ... or anywhere in Baja, without a TVIP ... BUT ... you DO need your Tourist Visa. And you will need a TVIP to cross on ferry. If you show up in La Paz to get a TVIP (which is possible) without previously having your Tourist Visa ... you are in violation and it will cost you around $400.

So, regardless of where you cross, get your Tourist Visa at the border. ALL crossing points issue these (issued by Migracion). But TVIP is not available at every crossing. Se llama: "tareta de Turismo" o "Documento Turismo"

Northern Mexico up around Caborca is desolate and ugly. It stays that way ... 100% featureless until Hermosillo. PLUS you've got Toll Roads ... which are not that cheap. Baja has a toll road from Tijuana to Ensenda ... you stop 3 or 4 times and pay a couple bucks ea. stop. US or Pesos OK.

Baja is incredibly diverse the whole way. Here is just a small taste:

Just South of San Felipe near Puertocitos (this is now ALL paved)

Playa Gringa, Bahia de Los Angeles

Bahia de Concepcion

The open road ... very little traffic ... and NO Toll Roads.

Near San Javier/Loreto

Near Vizcaino

Mission at San Javier ... one of several in Baja

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 02:05 PM
Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #23
einnocent OP
Adventurer

Yeah so we're going to Baja

Adv Grifter, you've convinced us to do Baja! We are in San Diego and will be crossing through Tijuana on 4 May. We are looking at routes in Baja. Any advice? I'm looking at the AAA map (yeah, yeah) that I got laminated. Picture below:

IMG_2182 by einnocent, on Flickr

(Click link for full size version)

We are looking specifically at the parts that look like white with black lines (the legend calls it "earth"). I'd like to know what you all know about the following:

--Puertecitos to Punta Final and back down to FR 1 (above my middle finger, has warning about needing 4WD)

--All the earthen stuff inland of my index finger and thumb

--Any routes you think we should do or avoid

We will then do La Paz to Topolobampo (or wherever it terminates) and then probably do Copper Canyon. Any tips thereabout are welcome, too.

Thanks!
--E
Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #24
SoloSurfer
iheartducati

Oddometer: 120
My x2 Bits...

Hey Fellas... first off, way to go for making this happen, sometimes that is the hardest part.

I solo'ed a BC to the Panama Canal and back to BC this time last year and am cravin' something else so living vicariously 'through' others adventures always seems to tame the fires n' desires, loads of pics pleeeeease!

My two bits on the Baja: a guy could spend a lifetime riding in the Baja and there will still be fresh dirt untouched. I ripped through pretty quick but I really enjoyed riding south-west of San Ignacio (near your index finger on laminated map in the middle of the Baja) to San Juanico (surf spot called Scorpion Bay - with am amazing right point break). You'll ride through fishing villages and remote areas where the tracks seem to flow all over the place at times... just head west to the ocean from San Ignacio, then keep 'er pointed south and open it up on the flats and try not to rattle too many bolts loose on the washboard goodness. Fun stuff and a great ride.

Take the ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan and then ride to Durango - a 200km+ stretch of amazing twisty-fun that you won't want to miss if you can work that into the Copper Canyon somehow if that is your plan.

Other highlights:

Zacatecas, Mexico
San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala to Antigua through Lago Attitlan
Laguna de Arenal, Costa Rica (and Monteverde, Santa Elena area) to Turrialba
Boquete, Panama and area
and, and, and...

.... this list could go on forever...

I look forward to following along.

Enjoy and Salud!

SoloSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #25
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
I just got back a few months ago from Panama.
If you want to come over and check my bike out, your more than welcome.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #26
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by einnocent View Post
Adv Grifter, you've convinced us to do Baja! We are in San Diego and will be crossing through Tijuana on 4 May. We are looking at routes in Baja. Any advice? I'm looking at the AAA map (yeah, yeah) that I got laminated. Picture below:

We are looking specifically at the parts that look like white with black lines (the legend calls it "earth"). I'd like to know what you all know about the following:

--Puertecitos to Punta Final and back down to FR 1 (above my middle finger, has warning about needing 4WD)

--All the earthen stuff inland of my index finger and thumb

--Any routes you think we should do or avoid

We will then do La Paz to Topolobampo (or wherever it terminates) and then probably do Copper Canyon. Any tips thereabout are welcome, too.

Thanks!
--E
Too much to get into specific routes here. I'd suggest a good off road Baja guide book ... but by now you're probably on you way. My advice is talk to locals who have actually been places in Baja and know the roads themselves.(remember, many Mexican have never been more than a few miles from home).

Other travelers may have invaluable info. You can find moderate off road opportunities all over Baja, also some you may want to avoid. If you go off road make sure you can deal with flat repairs and you have enough fuel. Keep asking around, getting best current info you can ... and always consider the source.

Copper Canyon
There are positively reams of ride reports and info here on ADV on Copper Canyon. It's beat to death. Start reading. Guys go all over on big GS's
and touring bikes, so you can make it most places.

There are a variety of approaches coming off the Ferry at Topo. My personal favorite is to head North on Mex. 15 to Ciudad Obregon. Just at North end of town you turn off Mex 15 towards Esperanza. This will lead you to Mex 12. Stay on Mex 12 all the way to Mex 16. A great climb up into the Sierra. At Mex 16 turn right (EAST). There is usually a big Army checkpoint at this intersection. From here, follow your way over to Creel.
Watch for Burro and Horses on the road ... and Rock Fall. All Paved.

Unless you leave very early in the AM from the Topo Ferry and are very fast, you won't make Creel in a day. You can stay over in Yecora ... or better, further along to the little town near the waterfall. Good maps or GPS are helpful. Yecora is a bit of a dump but is big town.

Once in Creel you have lots of options. A trip down to Batopilas is usually a popular choice. From there you can ride out to the West on dirt and back to Mex 15 or return to Creel.

Several options here. My favorite is to head South from Creel to intersect Mex. 24. At Mex 24 head WEST. At the town of Guadalupe y Calvo, the paved road ends. Ask carefully to find the best route WEST from there.

You want to go to Tameapa on the good road. Tameapa is very near where the pavement starts back up again, just a short hop back to Mex 15.

There are a few very BAD roads ... don't take those! NOTE: This is a very active Meth Lab area and Pot is also grown in these mountains. Lots of it. Mostly the Army stay away. Last went this way in '06 and road paving was in progress. May be all paved by now. Mostly locals go this way. They mostly leave tourists alone ... but things have gotten crazy lately. Current, local knowledge best.

Most Gringo bike travelers just take the main highway down to Parrall and then down to Durango. Tons of options.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #27
stompers
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Erik and Darren drive off gathering

Friends and family get together for blast off at SF boot store >>>

http://youtu.be/QLUEZICuRJs

Also Erik's travel blog >> photos and messages in a bottle >>>

http://stompersboots.wordpress.com/2...rra-del-fuego/

stompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #28
quimexa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Safe Travels!!!!

You can contact me when you are near Costa Rica
quimexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #29
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Talking

I'll be tagging along for free. Thanks guys!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #30
einnocent OP
Adventurer

I've got a new blog post up at Stompers Boots, with pics and even some off-road shenanigans:

http://stompersboots.com/2012/05/tra...monday-may-14/

We went from Bahía de Los Angeles to Guerrero Negro and then spent some time here to recuperate after getting banged up on the trail and getting "stomach ailments". After having some time to consider where we'd like to go next, we've decided on the following itinerary:

Code:
wed 16  GN-Loreto
thu     Loreto-La Paz
fri     La Paz-Cabo
sat     overnight Cabo
sun 20  Cabo to La Paz  | take ferry to Maz
mon     Mazatlán to ?
tue     ? to Guadalajara
wed     Guad to Morelia
thu     Morelia to Mexico City
fri     overnight m.c.
sat     overnight m.c.
sun 27  m.c. to ?
Any suggestions on what to visit, where to stay, stuff to must see, etc?

Any suggestions on where to stay between Mazatlán and Guadalajara?

Thanks!