Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #31
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
here's one of the best writeups on ADV about what can go wrong with modern BMW GS bikes.
in fairness.. below complexity apply to all new bikes (not just BMW) with computer controlled electronic system and fuel injection.

more features like ABS = more complexity ... just so happens BMW has more features like ABS and ESA, etc. higher the complexity.. higher the difficulty of troubleshooting, higher the cost of parts. actual replacement becomes the easiest segment. new BMW parts are soooo expensive, one doesn't want to be wrong.

personally would not want a bike with brakes that depended on electronics to work. or shocks that depends on electronics to operate.

------------

Okay, your reasoning is starting to make more sense to me _cy_, but let me point out where mine differs.

Your test and experience bed seems to be a carbed BMW R80GS with almost zero electronics.

Firstly, a compliment is owed. Keeping an R80GS running well without needing monthly visits to a dealership requires talent. Unless I read you wrong, you do all of your own work, so through training or significant experience, you must be a good mechanic in your own right.

On a side note, what are you using for points? If you converted to breaker less, well thats what I would do, but for those whiting to stay stock, the oe points are now made in mexico and don't hold up, have you found any that do and know where I can source them?

snipped

For what it is worth, most often beating on the pump and injectors while cranking for an extended period will get you back up and running, as long as your battery is up to the task. And on a positive note, stuck fuel pumps and injectors are far less likely if you choose a battery that keeps the cranking voltage high as this same voltage increases the force with which the fuel pump applies torque to the rotor and solenoids alloy force to injector pentle.

_cy_ does my different take on the need for a battery that can do prolonged cranking start to make sense when talking of modern fuel injected adventure bikes?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #32
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Hell, my old bikes don't even need a battery to run... I guess they aren't as good as a new BMW then.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #33
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
We all have problems

As has been mentioned before, the internet can make you paranoid about buying anything. Just Google "anything problems" and you will find someone with an issue:
"Goldwing Problems: finds: http://news.consumerreports.org/safe...-problems.html

"Vstrom problems": http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18251

"Lexus problems" http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=28020

Harley's leak oil and will cook your legs in traffic.....

Stay off the internet and you will be a happier guy.

PS - My '05 has been relatively problem free (I did replace a clutch slave cylinder at 22,000 miles). The "Joy to Hassle ratio" is better than any other toy I've owned.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #34
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,372
They break down a lot huh? My 07 GS has been to Inuvik more times than its been in the shop. Dam thing is worthless.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #35
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
funny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjw916 View Post
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #36
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
All that got me was make sure you have a good battery.
putting things in context from Li-ion battery testing thread...

that list of possible things that commonly go wrong with modern GS bikes from Joel, who is one of the sharpest techs on ADV ... explanation why tech wanted a battery capable of extended cranks of 15+ seconds @ 200amps. if and when something would go wrong on trips in remote locations. extended crank sessions could help diagnose problems at a distance.

Joel's take is modern BMW GS bikes are incredibly complex with LOTS of things that can and do go wrong.
again... above also could be said for most high tech new bike out there.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #37
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,357
The issue is:
if we only bought cars/bikes that were problem free we would all be driving camrys and riding v-stroms.
What a boring world it would be.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #38
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,461
This is great, BMW owners are knocking V-Stroms for lack of character

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #39
whittrated03 OP
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
One reason BMWs tend to have a lot of problems is that their owners tend to put a lot of miles on them.

I had a 95 R1100GS. It did have some really expensive problems including a tranny replacement at 61K. At 80+ K a cheap plastic cam chain guide inside the engine self destructed and required engine removal to replace.

I put 87K on that bike and although it had many problems, it never left me stranded anywhere, even when I hit Bambi at 60+ MPH. I'm glad I bought that bike and enjoyed it but unless I win the lottery, I doubt I'll ever buy another BMW.
50-60k might be considered alot of miles by a BMW owner but at 50k, Im still running the factory chain. High mileage for a Strom is over 80k. And..I will have to agree on the "premium product" case.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #40
whittrated03 OP
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
And the number one issue with a V-Strom is it is about as vanilla as it gets. A good bike, YES... But boring!

Why is this not in the basement?

VERY boring in stock form. After $2500 in farkles these bikes are not boring AND I am willing to bet almost anyone( excluding the guys racing AMA superbikes) that I will stuff your asses in the corners with my slow and boring V-Strom. These bikes, with the right rider, can be scary fast in the twistys...but I've been riding and flat track racing Yamaha 650s for decades so I know HOW to go fast. My favorite is still stuffing squids and doing balance wheelies on a little 650 @ 70mph.
Now, the funny part. I am actually a BMW enthusiast. I want one...but I dont want to have to touch anything until it reaches a 100k miles. These GSAs look so wild...kinda like robots so it really sux, for me, that they dont have a solid reputation. That being said, i know theres a few out there that have been problem free (until MAYBE 50k) but these are guys that no how to perform preventative maintnence or just know how to ride hard and go fast without abusing parts. I wander if a man that owns a GSA that rides really easy and performs all scheduled PM will have a trouble free bike.....who knows. ...but the fact is , is that he should. Its all about confidence for me. I dont have enough confidence in a GSA to take me to Arkansas this summer so I will be riding my boring ass Strom there for the third time.....on all stock parts except tires, chains and sprockets, sparkplugs and airfilter. Everything else came from the factory.

PS. They warned me about the sensitive GSA owners but I dont care..
Old 04-26-2012, 04:22 AM   #41
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Thumb Awesome Thread Brah

Seriously - grats dude on the gayest thread ever. Points deducted.
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #42
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,070
We are all glad you love your bike. One shouldn't own one they do not like a lot.

That said, why is it you feel the need to denigrade other bikes? Does it help you feel better about your own choices, or are you just a tool?

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #43
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittrated03 View Post
50-60k might be considered alot of miles by a BMW owner but at 50k, Im still running the factory chain. High mileage for a Strom is over 80k. And..I will have to agree on the "premium product" case.

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #44
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Why would anyone want to spend up tp $20k on a machine that's all looks and statisticaly will be at the dealer for warranty repairs instead of gobbling up the road?
Assumed knowledge the best kind of knowledge. Before I throw my GSA up for sale can you link me to the statistics that you reference above, you know the manufacturer information that indicates total bikes sold and % with problems requiring repair work over $100 that is a result of a failure due to manufacturing process, design or other non user related causes? What would also be helpful is a list of other bikes in the same class including all the same information so that I can determine, as you have done, just how much of a premium I've shelled out for an inferior product. I can then cost capture this premium against the philosophical sense of happiness I have riding my bike and make a deduction as to whether I should buy something that makes me less happy but is more reliable.

In the end who cares? Buy whatever spins your spurs. If you can't afford 20k for a bike that you feel has questionable reliability then stick with those that make you more comfortable. Without a doubt for every strom you can cite that has +50k a BMW can be found that has the same trouble free +50k.

CanadianX screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 07:42 AM
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #45
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,376
Quote:
VERY boring in stock form. After $2500 in farkles these bikes are not boring AND I am willing to bet almost anyone( excluding the guys racing AMA superbikes) that I will stuff your asses in the corners with my slow and boring V-Strom. These bikes, with the right rider, can be scary fast in the twistys...but I've been riding and flat track racing Yamaha 650s for decades so I know HOW to go fast. My favorite is still stuffing squids and doing balance wheelies on a little 650 @ 70mph.
Hey! No fair! We didn't realize you were such a badass at first. You should have started with this. It would have given you a lot more cred.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote