Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
slabo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
XL250 Degree questions & shop manual

ni hao..

Im getting a 1994 Honda XL250. Mint condition, everything seems to be original parts and I can't find any trace of monkey wrenching anywhere. No rust and runs fine. I found this shop manual for model 1995 but nothing about valve clearance values Is it same procedure as XR250L and XR250R ?? as i have the haynes manual for those models, Haynes 2219.

Also, anything I should watch out for on these bikes?
slabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
RED1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabo View Post
ni hao..

Im getting a 1994 Honda XL250. Mint condition, everything seems to be original parts and I can't find any trace of monkey wrenching anywhere. No rust and runs fine. I found this shop manual for model 1995 but nothing about valve clearance values Is it same procedure as XR250L and XR250R ?? as i have the haynes manual for those models, Haynes 2219.

Also, anything I should watch out for on these bikes?

Same engine as the NX250 and AX1, it has shims for valve adjustment, not the same as an XR. Engines are fairly bullet proof, we had them in Australia and they were proven to be very reliable, the exhaust is part of the rear subframe so that may cause a problem in the future if you need a new muffler.
RED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
slabo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks, I'll try to get the workshop manual for that. What's the damage if the original owner never did valve clearance adjustment? Worst case scenario ? New bore kit?

I'm just asking because the owner gave me a strange look when i asked about valve adjustment.. otherwise the bike looks fine, not a spec of rust anywhere.. starts easy and runs smooth

It's running fine as it is now, it's running good and I don't hear loud ticking noises when idling. It's showing ~44000km on the ODO .. Im supposed to get it tomorrow.
slabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
RED1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabo View Post
Thanks, I'll try to get the workshop manual for that. What's the damage if the original owner never did valve clearance adjustment? Worst case scenario ? New bore kit?

I'm just asking because the owner gave me a strange look when i asked about valve adjustment.. otherwise the bike looks fine, not a spec of rust anywhere.. starts easy and runs smooth

It's running fine as it is now, it's running good and I don't hear loud ticking noises when idling. It's showing ~44000km on the ODO .. Im supposed to get it tomorrow.

It could make it hard to start but it would not affect the bore.
RED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
mcoles
4SSL

Oddometer: 3
Hi there, a few questions re the Degree. I have a '97 model and am looking for :-
1) a bash plate ideally aluminium
2) a good pipe (not too noisy)
3) a better looking rear and front guard would be cool

I have done about 70k on road and now have it 100% on dirt as an instructors bike. Its a fantastic machine that goes and goes, just rebuilt rear shock and it rides beautifully, I do want to do it up a bit.
Hope you can pass on some info as it appears very hard to find info on tidying these beasts up.

Mike
Sydney
mcoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
XL250 Degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoles View Post
Hope you can pass on some info as it appears very hard to find info on tidying these beasts up.
Hi Mike,

Im afraid I will not be very helpful in finding parts, since my own XL250 degree is probably the only one in kontinental EU and parts are nowhere to be found. I got my bike from England, apparently a few were imported from Japan in the 1990ies. A long time fan of the NX250, I had to learn that the degree is a totally different bike (except for the engine), so spare parts from the NX will not fit. Even the carb is different and the air filter is L-shaped - no chance for NX parts. At least I was able to get the airfilters at wemoto. But thats the only special part for the degree I could find. Not even a clutch cable (which is longer than the one from the NX) or a CDI (which is also different). So if anybody figured out an OEM source, I would be pretty happy .

At least I was able to get something you guys may be interested in: a PDF of the official factory service manual (not the measly drivers manual) - in English!

Cheers, Michael

scrambler66 screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 07:27 AM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
mcoles
4SSL

Oddometer: 3
pdf

Thanks, I would love a PDF if you have one... most dealers here can get parts sent in from Japan, maybe you could also.
Mike
PS Your bike is very tidy. Look after her and you will get many many years of trouble free riding.
mcoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

XL250 parts wanted

In the meantime I made some progress on the spare parts front. I got a parts list from japan ( http://auctions.isibike.com/?catId=0&freeWord=MD26 ) , at this site you can also get used parts - but extremely expensive. With the parts list, I was able to decipher the part code, for the Xl degree, its follows this scheme:

xxxxx-KBR-xxx

If parts from the NX250 were used on the degree, they got this scheme

xxxxx-KW3-000

So, for instance, the valves are the same in NX250 and XL degree, but the cams are different: the NX250 cams have more lift, so they can be used for a little power boost in the XL degree (btw: the first AX1 had cams with even more lift and account for 29hp!)

If you fill in the “KBR” in the part number search at CMSL http://www.cmsnl.com/search/partnumb...spbpmodelcode=

It will list you all parts available. Unfortunately, no body parts and other fundamental stuff are accessible, so it anybody else got another source it would be most appreciated

Thats what my degree looks now: hand guards from the NX650 and a White Power (former Wilbers brand) shock from a NX250 - which is 1 cm longer. Soon to come: a front fork from a XR250L

The seat of the degree was way too soft for longer distances - so I replaced it with a harder and somewhat highter Kaheho foam.

scrambler66 screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 10:58 PM
Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

CDI and tuning XL250 Degree

After riding the Degree a couple of 1000kms, I have to say that she is kinda lame. If compared to the NX250. The latter will reach 120km/h in no time, and 140km/h with a bit of patience, while the Degree will reach 100km/h, and than you need a lot of patience, to get any faster.
So I decided use a couple of NX250/AX1 parts. First step: since the manifold has a lesser diameter, I took a larger stainless steal manifold from the AX1. And since the degree sound is pretty lame, too, I took a striped NX250 (US-version) muffler - aluminum coated, to prevent rust. The AX1/NX250 cams got a lot more lift than the degree parts, so I swaped them as well.

With that setup, the Degree runs a lot better, but still not as good as an NX250 - I credit that to the smaller carb the degree got. So next winter I will try to install a NX250 carb - which might not be possible, since the frame layout of the degree is different.
Second isse, I was ask if a NX250 CDI might work in a XL250 Degree
The problem is, that the NX250 does not have a side stand switch - so the wiring is different.
I'm not excactly an expert on electronic issues, maybe someone else got an idea how to make an NX250 CDI work

The oem number of the degree CDI is 30410-KBR-000 and it seems that the origional Degree CDI is still available, at least in Europe

http://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/honda/unit-comp-cdi-30410-kbr-000

http://www.cmsnl.com/products/unit-c.../#.UlD0WRAZmS0

My NX650 Scrambler http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766897
Old 03-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #10
admbnm
n00b

Oddometer: 8
xl degree running gear

hi,i'm a new uk based degree owner and am having a problem sourcing over the counter parts,i can get engine spares fairly easily[nx250] but does anyone know or can point me in the direction of chassis parts that are used/compatable from different bikes,eg sprockets,pads shock etc.all the best
admbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM   #11
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

XL250 degree spare parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by admbnm View Post
hi,i'm a new uk based degree owner and am having a problem sourcing over the counter parts,i can get engine spares fairly easily[nx250] but does anyone know or can point me in the direction of chassis parts that are used/compatable from different bikes,eg sprockets,pads shock etc.all the best
So you found the right thread finally .
Rear sprockets are easy to get, since NX250, XL600R and NX650 got the same. I recommend at least 43theet (instead of the original 41), better yet 44 or 45 (then you need a longer chain with 104 links), since the original transmission is way too long.
Front sprockets of NX250 will fit, but you should avoid them since they are thinner (and in case of JT sprockets: badly manufactured). Better are CRF250L sprockets, JT Number jtf1321-13.

Brad pads are also not a problem, the rear pads from the NX250 will fit as will the front pads.
The rear shock of the NX is a bit longer, but Hagon is producing shocks for the Xl degree http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/xl...gon_monoshock/

Old Yesterday, 04:14 AM   #12
admbnm
n00b

good info. on mine and chain is 102 links which has enough slack when i put the wheel as far forward as possible to remove 2 links,not worn,just the wrong length fitted?the rear sprocket is 44 teeth front 13.bit of a headache

admbnm screwed with this post Yesterday at 05:03 AM
Old Today, 02:32 AM   #13
admbnm
n00b

i think i may have a problem with my new ride,as i posted above the chain fitted is 102 links and is still 2 links too long[unridable,max adjustment but still far too loose]it has the standard sized sprockets and according to the specs i can find the chain should be 106!,my bike has a drum brake so i'm hoping that there were subtle differences between drum/disc models such as the swingarm length and all is well,if anybody knows i would be grateful,anyway i've ordered a new chain and sprocket set and am expecting to cut 6 links out,it wont be a problem but i suspect that it might have been in an accident or something and a swingarm from a different bike fitted,the distance between the swingarm pivot and rear axle would be welcome...nx inc. thanks in advance,
Old Today, 06:07 AM   #14
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
i think i may have a problem with my new ride,as i posted above the chain fitted is 102 links and is still 2 links too long
can't be - either the chain is old or you got a different swingarm

Quote:
[unridable,max adjustment but still far too loose]it has the standard sized sprockets and according to the specs i can find the chain should be 106!,
standard is 13th front, 41 rear and 102 chain links

Quote:
i suspect that it might have been in an accident or something and a swingarm from a different bike fitted,
pics would be extremely helpfull since I cannot find my crystal ball

Old Today, 09:34 AM   #15
admbnm
n00b

hi,your reply is welcome but as i wrote,the standard setup details i have found on the net is
13-44x106,thats why i wondered if it's the disc/drum models using different setups? my 102 chain is worn but i dont think it would stretch as much as that,the swing arm is identical in appearance to a rear drum degree in pics on the net,ie a bland steel box section painted silver with the same mounts /adjusters etc,i'm not that up with putting pics up but if i can i will do,the new chainset will be here soon so no worries,by the way i like your 650,the oil level pipe is a really nice touch,my other bike which is getting a bit too heavy for me is a modified slr which i've had for years and has never let me down but needs must, all the best