User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
captainkrypto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Talking Another KLR650 Makeover - 1st attempt

After seeing a few KLR 650 makeover threads around, I decided to do my own since I wasn't happy with the existing paint job. This is a 2000 KLR that I picked up about 6 months ago. The engine runs fine, but as you can see the "custom" paint job could use some work. Since this is my first attempt at a bike makeover, I figured I would post it here and hopefully get some feedback from others on the best way to do things, tips, gotchas, etc...

Here is the bike before I started:

And the bike with the parts removed... I'm not gonna worry about the front fender since I've alreay got a KTM fender to replace it.

I figured that I would start with the gas tank since I'm still trying to figure out the best way to paint the plastic. Here is a pic of the gas tank. As you can see, there is some damage done from spilling gas on the tank, and from the tank bag strap being melted into the paint from the sun. This is something I want to avoid with my paint job...

I want to paint the tank a flat/matte black, but I don't want the shine from a clear coat... and ideas on how I could seal the paint to protect it from gas spills without making it shiny?

I started off removing the old paint with an orbital sander and 220 grit paper. It definitely worked, but after going through 2 disks in 5 minutes I figured that there has to be a better way, so I picked up some paint stripper and a paint chisel. After about 3 hours, 5 applications of stripper and a sore back from chipping off the paint, this is where I ended up....

This is the last layer of paint, so I am gonna let it dry and finish it off with the sander. Also, it seems the previous owner dropped it or something... I found a nice patch of bondo on the other side... oh well.

Once I finished prepping the tank, I'm gonna start on the plastics. I saw on some website that someone suggested oven cleaner to get the old paint off the plastic. It kinda worked, but perhaps someone has a better idea to get old spray paint off of the plastic? You can see in the back where I sprayed the brush guards with the over cleaner

Also, I noticed 3 wires that were taped off. I wasn't able to tell from the wiring diagram what these were for... anyone have any idea? I would eventually like to add a cigarette lighter port... hmmm.

More progress to come...
captainkrypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Numbnuts_007
inseam impaired

Oddometer: 64
wires

looking at the color, i think that is the clutch safety switch bypassed. sorry just relised that the colored wires are not the ones taped together, but if the taped ones are the same color then that is what it si. i was reading a thread about this just a few hrs ago.

resistance is futile,
you will be assimilated!!

Chris

98' honda helix 250
06 kawi bayou 250 atv
07 KLR651
91 jeep commanchee eliminator 4x4 (son's)
gone:
92 katana 600
78 XS 750, 3 banger
80' elsinor 125 (last air cooled model)
too many small XR's to count,
Numbnuts_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
captainkrypto OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Actually, the colored wires are the wires that are taped off. Based on your comment, I rechecked the wiring diagram and there is a note on the top that says that they are for the the Starter Lockout Switch. I was confused because they were not in the actaul diagram. Thanks for helping me clear that up!
Old 03-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Ironheadziggy76
What the hell?

Oddometer: 472
I wouldn't advise chemically stripping the plastic, it could eat into your plastic. As far a flat black finish, you can add flattening agent to your paint and make it flat. Check with an auto body paint store, I think Dupont has a paint color called Hot Rod Black that a lot of guys are using on Rat Rods. It is more of a satin black that looks like it has been primered and wet sanded with 600 when it dries.

Have you considered using spray on Bedliner? I have seen quite a few bikes done with it and they really look good. You can get many colors also, I have never seen it two tone though.
Ironheadziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,897
I also would avoid stripping the paint off the plastics with chemicals as you may damage them.

If the paint is adhering well, you could sand it & paint. If it's weak, I'd sand it off down to the plastic using a palm sander.

When I did my KLR's makeover, I scuffed the plastics up with a scotchbrite pad to prep for the Krylon Fusion paint and it is holding up quite well. If I did it again I would follow up the scotchbrite pad with progressively higher sandpaper grits, ending with 600-800.

I don't know about the tank. The finish needs to be oil/gas resistant, so if it were me I'd have a pro shoot it & top coat the color with what he recommended.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76
Have you considered using spray on Bedliner? I have seen quite a few bikes done with it and they really look good. You can get many colors also, I have never seen it two tone though.
+1. I'm not a huge fan of the bedliner on bikes, but the DuPont BedSpray is great stuff; just gives a really great finish/texture without being gritty and abrasive. It takes touch-ups quite well too.

For the plastics, I'd use some Krylon Fusion paint, then spray on top of that with the above paint or a 'normal' type paint.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Hondo

I did 3 coats of the Fusion with 3 coats of clear laquer on top to protect it.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #8
captainkrypto OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all of the ideas... I was actually throwing around the bedliner idea in my head... I was thinking about doing the entire tank in flat black, then a coat of the roll-on bedliner on the top of the tank. I spoke to an auto paint guy about painting plastics. He recommended that I use Bulldog Adhesion Promoter (http://www.kleanstripauto.com/products/plasticprep.html) right before I spray on the paint. Anyone tried this? Fortunately, my roommate does custom auto paint as a hobby, so he has access to the necessary painting tools and spray booth, so I (or hopefully he) can spray on the paint with a spray gun. Unfortunately, he is a slacker, so it might take a bottle of JD to get him to help me out before 2008.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #9
Hondo

I used that Adhesion Promoter on the front bumper cover on my '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee & it worked very well.

I did it 3 years ago & no flaking-

Old 03-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #10
captainkrypto OP
Adventurer

More sanding and primer

Well, with a bit more sanding with an orbital sander and 120 grit paper, I ended up with a nice shiny surface for the primer.

The bottom of the tank was a bit rusty, so I cleaned off the dirt and applied a coat of Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer making sure to lay it on a little thicker on the rusty spots and in the nooks of the tank mounting bracket.

Then I sprayed on a coat of Rust-Oleum Auto Primer. I'm not a promoter for Rust-Oleum, but they seem to have a lock on the Home Depot market. Anyone have any suggestions for paint? primer? base? clear? I've heard that many people favor Krylon brand...

Unfortunately, I think I went a little nutty with the sanding over the bondo'ed part of the tank. I guess a little filler should take care of that.

My next step is to lightly sand the primer with a 400 grit paper, then apply another coat.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:40 AM   #11
Alpha_Forward
Alpha_Forward

Oddometer: 56
Saweeeeet!! looks like you are making some substantial progess.

Its starting to look like a dif bike

Now get that sh•t done and lets go riding already.... slacker.
Alpha_Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #12
Alpha_Forward
Alpha_Forward

Oddometer: 56
just make the top of the tank look like the bottom and your all set!!!
Alpha_Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
You're putting a lot of effort into this If the tank doesn't work out well, just slap an IMS tank on there, it's maintenance free, dent and rust proof and holds more fuel!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #14
captainkrypto OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
You're putting a lot of effort into this If the tank doesn't work out well, just slap an IMS tank on there, it's maintenance free, dent and rust proof and holds more fuel!
I know... probably a bit of overkill since it will probably get f'ed up in a short time anyway. At least it keeps me busy while procrastinating about higher priority hosehold projects
Old 03-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
Scotty J
Obedient Consumer

Oddometer: 271
The IPO responsible for that craptastic previous paint job should be drug out into the streets and flogged with empty rattle cans.

-Ugh-

If you paint this thing pink it'll look better than it did before. But please don't paint it pink.