Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #316
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Will one of these do the TAT like a wr250r will? Wondering if anyoen has done something long and arduous with one of these pups yet.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #317
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
I can tell you next year hopefully, as I plan to use it for precisely that. I know people have done the tat on rfs motors and I dont envision this one having trouble with a good seat and rack, oil changes every 800-1k miles. I gaurantee at 250lbs and 44 horses it will be a lot more fun than a wr250r
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #318
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Oddometer: 195
Here there be dragons!!!

Picked up a 350 XCF-W on March 13th, which almost immediately got an Acerbis 5.3 gal tank, Seat Concepts low seat cover and foam, Acerbis front disc gaurd, KTM hard parts plastic skid plate, KTM hard parts sharkfin, and a Garmin Montana mount.

I bought it to have something lighter and easier to toss around than my 2004 625 SXC outfitted as a long-haul DSer to improve my technical riding skill. I have since put 600 mi and ~18 hrs on it, mostly in the Northern Nevada desert two-track, sand wash, and rocks. I'm now down in San Diego for a few months for work, and have put one good technical ride out in the Corral Canyon OHV park. Its definitely provided exactly what I was looking for, and I'm surprising myself all the time about how much my confidence is coming up in tackling more technical trails. I love it.

However, on the way out to a meet up for a group ride in the Warner Springs area last Sunday, the bike cut out suddenly while doing 70mph down I-15. Made it off safely, and ended up getting a tow, as it would not restart, and started blowing fuel by the fittings and expanding the fuel line...

Just got word from the shop, and the diagnostic tool is showing a "crank position sensor failure" code - now waiting to hear on whether KTM NA is going to cover it (no reason to doubt they will, though), and how long I'll have to wait to get my baby back.

I'll admit, this is a serious blow to my hopes of taking this bike on a Continental Divide long haul this Summer...
Scubatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #319
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubatoe View Post
Here there be dragons!!!

Picked up a 350 XCF-W on March 13th, which almost immediately got an Acerbis 5.3 gal tank, Seat Concepts low seat cover and foam, Acerbis front disc gaurd, KTM hard parts plastic skid plate, KTM hard parts sharkfin, and a Garmin Montana mount.

I bought it to have something lighter and easier to toss around than my 2004 625 SXC outfitted as a long-haul DSer to improve my technical riding skill. I have since put 600 mi and ~18 hrs on it, mostly in the Northern Nevada desert two-track, sand wash, and rocks. I'm now down in San Diego for a few months for work, and have put one good technical ride out in the Corral Canyon OHV park. Its definitely provided exactly what I was looking for, and I'm surprising myself all the time about how much my confidence is coming up in tackling more technical trails. I love it.

However, on the way out to a meet up for a group ride in the Warner Springs area last Sunday, the bike cut out suddenly while doing 70mph down I-15. Made it off safely, and ended up getting a tow, as it would not restart, and started blowing fuel by the fittings and expanding the fuel line...

Just got word from the shop, and the diagnostic tool is showing a "crank position sensor failure" code - now waiting to hear on whether KTM NA is going to cover it (no reason to doubt they will, though), and how long I'll have to wait to get my baby back.

I'll admit, this is a serious blow to my hopes of taking this bike on a Continental Divide long haul this Summer...
Bummer man!! Hope you get it back soon and all is well.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #320
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Hooked up with my buddy and rode 300 miles the other day up to Covelo and back. Roughly 50/50 dirt/slab. Bikes handled great and even played golf the next day. Seat Concepts saved my arse..literally!

This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
Old 04-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #321
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Bummer man!! Hope you get it back soon and all is well.
Thanks, man. Looking like I won't have it back before the weekend. I think if I've owned it less than a month, KTM should have to give me $100 a minute whenever I'm off work, and could be shredding dirt on it. Or at least assign me an umbrella girl to help ease the pain.

Poop.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #322
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, man. Looking like I won't have it back before the weekend. I think if I've owned it less than a month, KTM should have to give me $100 a minute whenever I'm off work, and could be shredding dirt on it. Or at least assign me an umbrella girl to help ease the pain.

Poop.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #323
jlmg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Hello all

I know this question is very subjective, but I'll shoot anyways, doe anyone think or feel the handlebar is a bit too wide?, have any of you guys have change the bar?

Trying to get rid off of this f..ing beer gut
jlmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #324
Capp
Resident

Oddometer: 87
Use a pipe cutter and take some off each end. I usually take 1/2 inch off each side. Make sure that your controls and levers fit before you start cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmg View Post
Hello all

I know this question is very subjective, but I'll shoot anyways, doe anyone think or feel the handlebar is a bit too wide?, have any of you guys have change the bar?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #325
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmg View Post
Hello all

Yes, I do too. I feel like I'm over controlling in the really tight stuff...plus I'm scrapin' off too much bark. I'm thinkin' -1/2" per side. Then raising the bars w/ the elastic risers.

JB
visualizerent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #326
Eagerpooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
cutting bars

ya thinking .5 on each side is about the right amount. question for those of you that have cut them..

were you able to get the grips off and re use them? seems like they are glued on
Eagerpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #327
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Quote:

Poop.
Still waiting....

KTM, if you're listening, please have your rep return messages from Motoworld in El Cajon...

Not quite the same experience as those saying KTM overnighted parts to make things right.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #328
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Just got word from the shop, and the diagnostic tool is showing a "crank position sensor failure" code -
Where is this sensor located - I can't seem to find it on the parts diagrams...
Old 04-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #329
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
Where is this sensor located - I can't seem to find it on the parts diagrams...
Its on the stator. I can't find it in the fiche either, but I presume its integral to the charging system harness.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #330
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Its on the stator. I can't find it in the fiche either, but I presume its integral to the charging system harness.
So, I presume this is what is normally referred to on every other dirt bike as the pulser coil?