User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #361
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubatoe View Post
Does anyone know whether the charging system is wet or dry? From the parts diagrams, it looks like its probably dry, but I can't tell for sure.
Wet. Same goes with all KTM 4t's and I'm 99% sure all other modern 4t MX bikes. Of course someone could restart the CZ brand name tomorrow and prove me wrong.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #362
Dirtnrocks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Draft View Post
With this setup im gessing you really do not have a spicific lic, plate light.
Ya, unless Crawdaddy modified the lense, the xcfw light doesn't have a separate white light for the plate. The red lense should illuminate the plate, but most states require a separate white light. I have heard that sicass racing has a replacement lense for the xcfw tail that has a lower white section to satisfy that requirement but I have not confirmed that.
Dirtnrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #363
GratefulKicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
2013 350 xcf-w EU vs US Mapping

Not sure if anyone in here will be able to help, but here's my question:

Have 12.5 hours on my new '13 350 xcf-w. Absolutely loving the bike so far. So far I've been running it bone stock (except for the mandatory skid plate, header pipe guard, hand/brush guards, and radiator guards) with some tweaks to compression and rebound settings.

Time to start doing some mods. I'm bringing front and rear suspension to Factory Connection later in the week so that I get perfectly dialed in to my weight and riding style.

I've read on here about the idea of re-mapping to the EU settings. I brought it up to a local KTM dealer (I didn't buy the bike there) about the concept of re-mapping the bike to the EU map. They looked at me like I had two heads, but said "Well we have all the computers and stuff do it here, but we've never done it. The KTMs never really took off here, except for the guys who work here that ride them at moto events." Precisely why I traveled three hours to get my bike from another dealer. I'm not riding mine at moto tracks...lots of trail riding, single-track, fire roads, power lines, and endurocross type stuff we're building.

My question is two-fold:
1- What is the benefit of the EU map vs the US map? I won't be changing my exhaust set-up right away, but will consider changing to a full FMF megabomb at some future point. Is there a benefit to changing to the EU map if I'm keeping the stock exhaust? Or should I wait until I get the FMF exhaust?

2- How difficult is the process? Basically I'm wondering if I should take the bike to a dealer with more experience changing the mapping? Or is it pretty straightforward if they have the directions and connect to the computer? The dealership has been around a long time, they're good people, but they seem to focus more on the on-road bikes.

Any help and advice is appreciated.
GratefulKicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #364
Eagerpooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Mapping

I switched to eu mapping and removed all the dot smog stuff on my 350 exc. it was a great improvement with the 13/48 gearing.
i didnt realize guys on xcws were switching to euro maps. The excs run lean to keep emissions down. Guys on excs are just trying to get them to run like xcws w proper gearing/mapping.
It also allowed me to put an ignition map switch on to tone down the throttle in the nast stuff. Stock maps had that option locked out
Eagerpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #365
beaudaddy
mr. nOOb

Oddometer: 13
At last I had a chance to see one of these machines.It seems I continue to want a smaller bike for adv touring.GS1200 to a 690e and now hopefully 350exc,but at $9100 out the door seems kind of steep.(Especially considering they have 6 in stock).What did you guys pay? I only paid 8500 otd for the 08' 690 brand new, what gives?During our discussion I was told the 350/500 exc mapping was locked,but could be replaced with a 13' Berg set up,Maybe this will help the last post about mapping.Its hard to find a good KTM tech in my area,but I am pretty sure this dude knew what he was sayin or at least he sounded good.
beaudaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #366
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 358
Where are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudaddy View Post
What did you guys pay?
Here's what Cycletrader shows -
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...XC-F-100518725

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...XC-F-107349342

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...XC-F-107258861

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...XC-F-108378833

Cheers, M.
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #367
Bonwit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
My friend just bought a 350 EXC here in Dallas. Paid just over 10K drive out.

Bonwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #368
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
At last I had a chance to see one of these machines.It seems I continue to want a smaller bike for adv touring.GS1200 to a 690e and now hopefully 350exc,but at $9100 out the door seems kind of steep.(Especially considering they have 6 in stock).What did you guys pay? I only paid 8500 otd for the 08' 690 brand new, what gives?During our discussion I was told the 350/500 exc mapping was locked,but could be replaced with a 13' Berg set up,Maybe this will help the last post about mapping.Its hard to find a good KTM tech in my area,but I am pretty sure this dude knew what he was sayin or at least he sounded good.
You need to read this thread. The chip can be remapped, or you can buy the XC chip.

Almost all of the current Enduro race bikes are in this ball park, and a current 690 is even more. You get what you pay for. OTOH, if all you really need is a dual sport, you can pay a lot less.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #369
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
At last I had a chance to see one of these machines.It seems I continue to want a smaller bike for adv touring.GS1200 to a 690e and now hopefully 350exc,but at $9100 out the door ...
I would jump on that deal. Way better than what I paid for mine.

Have a look at dollar vs. the euro performance since early 2008 to explain the difference between what you paid for the 690.
Scubatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #370
Eagerpooch
Gnarly Adventurer

ya thats the only issue with the bike. PRICEY. i was over 10k in. plus i just farkled the hell out of it.
Eagerpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #371
spokenerd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Question Magic mod or remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
The secondary air system (sas) comes out next to the exhaust and is not part of the charcosl canister system. I plugged mine with a cork. I desmoggified and went with the magic mod rather than the euromap. Only one half day so far but the bottom is much better. I'll give a better review after more seat time when I'm done riding waves in Costa Rica.
Have you had time to get more impressions on the magic mod or is it still wave season? I've done the desmog but not the magic mod and it has gotten leaner and harder to start at any temp below 60F. I'm considering pros/cons of magic mod vs. a remap.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #372
visualizerent
Raconteur

hard starting technique, tipping over w/ smog gear still on.

" I've done the desmog but not the magic mod and it has gotten leaner and harder to start at any temp below 60F"

On a recent ride out to the Nevada Desert, I learned a few things about my new machine...

I have not yet desmogged nor remapped this bike.

1. The bike was hard to start on the first cold morning of our ride, quickly draining the battery, someone in the group suggested, "snap the kickstarter over while you hit the electric starter"- Fired right up.

This was the first start of the trip, so the computer was still thinking it was back home at a lower elevation. Something about the kick gives enough snap to fire up.

2. During an extended 'tip over' in a snow bank, the smog cannister got quite a bit of fuel in it from the tank. Be sure and pull the little plug and drain the fuel from the cannister drain line down by the gear shifter before you drain the battery again tryin' to get her going again. The bike would not idle for awhile until we cleared things out a bit, then eventually ran fine.

Best just to remove the cannister system all together.

Other than that...she RIPS!

visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #373
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
Lots of great riding around Middlegate - where'd you go?
Scubatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #374
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Thumb magic mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokenerd View Post
Have you had time to get more impressions on the magic mod or is it still wave season? I've done the desmog but not the magic mod and it has gotten leaner and harder to start at any temp below 60F. I'm considering pros/cons of magic mod vs. a remap.
Magic mod seems to work pretty good. Not that the bike was slow, but it is faster with the FMF megabomb/Q muffler and magic mod. Its almost always below 60 year round here on the coast and I have not had any problem starting. I can't really recommend one over the other, but my dealer didn't know much about the map situation, and I am a long way from anywhere, so I figured for a hundred bucks it was worth trying, and I am satisfied. If you can find a dealer or do the leg work to figure how to get the map, Id probably do that simply because ktm mechanics would be more familiar with that than the magic mod. But like I said, I am satisfied.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #375
spokenerd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for the info guys. I'll start with the remap and go from there - report to follow.