Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #376
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 244
middlegate nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubatoe View Post
Lots of great riding around Middlegate - where'd you go?
The Rollercoaster, Germany Canyon, Leesville, Cedar Canyon, "Tinkle Canyon" (w/ the cool red rocks), the zombie biker, and this oddity here "The Sacred Cow"? plus more...

3days, 400 miles or so. Just pic any direction and make a giant loop. Bring fuel..JB

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zyMmKlcwsbk

more videos of the ride are avail from Chipster C
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #377
vladg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
What "magic mod" is for 350EXC?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #378
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
After reading this thread after the last post i made ( a few pages back) I really want to try to get this bike. It sounds like a great bike for what I plan on doing with it. During the week I may or may not use it going to work (only a mile or so at 25mph). Then on the weekends take it out to the sand dunes/open desert (red sands area near El Paso) for fun with my friends. A lot of them are either getting a dirt bike or ATV when we get back, while a couple already have at least one if not two. Then I'll have a capable road car and capable off road bike that doesn't have to be trailered.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #379
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudaddy View Post
At last I had a chance to see one of these machines.It seems I continue to want a smaller bike for adv touring.GS1200 to a 690e and now hopefully 350exc,but at $9100 out the door seems kind of steep.(Especially considering they have 6 in stock).What did you guys pay? I only paid 8500 otd for the 08' 690 brand new, what gives?During our discussion I was told the 350/500 exc mapping was locked,but could be replaced with a 13' Berg set up,Maybe this will help the last post about mapping.Its hard to find a good KTM tech in my area,but I am pretty sure this dude knew what he was sayin or at least he sounded good.
When i was kicking tires before deployment the best i found for a '12 was 8k. That wasn't an otd price though. Right now I wish I had bought it since it seems the 350 keeps inching towards the 500 price.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #380
spokenerd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
What "magic mod" is for 350EXC?
http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-s...13-ktm-350-exc
Old 05-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #381
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,253
Customer reviews of the "magic mod" are notably hard to find outside of the vendors web site. You'd think there would be lots of folks talking it up here and on ktmtalk.com, but no. If it was really all they said it was, I'd send my throttle body off to them in a heart beat, but I'm still waiting for real world testimonials.

To me it sounds like they adjust the throttle position sensor so it's telling the ECU that the throttle is open farther than it really is. That would give you more fuel and the ignition advancement that they speak of.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #382
690moto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonwit View Post
My friend just bought a 350 EXC here in Dallas. Paid just over 10K drive out.
That thing is listed for $10,500 in BC Canada. I was looking at it today. Also checked out a Husaberg FE 350 $11,200 otd.
690moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #383
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,613
2014 bikes are listed on the KTM us site and will be available in the US in June 2013

http://www.ktm.com/enduro/350-exc-f-...l#.UZV_VvmDDDM

http://www.ktm.com/news-events/news/...l#.UZWA1PmDDDO

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #384
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post
Customer reviews of the "magic mod" are notably hard to find outside of the vendors web site. You'd think there would be lots of folks talking it up here and on ktmtalk.com, but no. If it was really all they said it was, I'd send my throttle body off to them in a heart beat, but I'm still waiting for real world testimonials.

To me it sounds like they adjust the throttle position sensor so it's telling the ECU that the throttle is open farther than it really is. That would give you more fuel and the ignition advancement that they speak of.
I agree with this, especially the first part. For me, well, I considered it when I bought my bike, and if my dealer had been unwilling to re-map the ECU, I may have send my TB in for it. If I was unable to get a new map loaded, it really would have come down to either $110 for the Magic-Mod, or $250(?) for the JT tuner. As it turned out for me (and I suspect most others), I did not need either. With the XC or EU map loaded, the EXC is one fantastic running motor.
The thing is, after having a new map loaded, I am not sure that the Magic Mod would still be applicable to help even more, or be detrimental to the tuning (too rich?). There is nothing on the website about that, or any other "progression of tune" regarding re-mapping.
There is probably a little bit more power to be had out of my motor, but, for me, it is plenty "Good Enough" the way it is.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #385
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
One of the reasons I would wager there is a lack of reviews is its unfamiliar tech, from a small internet shop. Also, the remap is probably the most popular option and people are more familiar with tuners. The bike definately starts easier since the mod and has plenty of real usable power for my needs. Have yet to get mpg numbers but will post when I do.
I will say that bestdualsports was extremely helpfull and patient with all my questions, so try sending them a message if you want to really get the lowdown.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #386
shortbritches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
The shop where I bought my bike locally is very low volume.They didn't have the equipment to do the download.Sent my throttle body off to Best Dual Sports and am very happy with the outcome.Took out the bog and hesitation on the crack of the throttle.Definately helped out on low end grunt and the power is just crisper.Like wizz said, call them they are very helpful.
shortbritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #387
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,228
Took some folks on a ride over by a certain "Big Ditch" last weekend

Sunset at Toroweap

By the end of the week I had ~1200 miles on the ODO......no issues/worries....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #388
Eagerpooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
the seat is nice and the bike is bad ass

You guys have to be joking. that seat looks luxurious but i dont think i could touch the ground.
You pretty much have the exact same set up as me. It looks good. I need some stuff to install on my hdb mounts. What do you have up there? Heated grips? Where did you get the 5w bulb from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
No kidding, the thing looks like an afterthought! Still, I've never ridden a KTM that I could stand the stock seat on anyway. Too bad you can't just get the bikes with a bare seat pan.
Eagerpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #389
ViaADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
WRR vs 350-EXC

A year ago, dvwalker said:
"For now, I'm still keeping my little wrr as a reliable, no fuss, long mileage bike. Different mission statement than the 350. I will not hesitate taking the wrr on a 7+ day multi-state off-road tour. The jury is still out as to the reliability of 350."

I am curious as to how dvwalker now feels about keeping his WRR, after a year of riding the 350-EXC? Would you take it on the 7+ day multi-state tour?

I'm also interested in comments from Crawdaddy (and any other previous / current WRR owners who now have a 350-EXC), who now have a good amount of time on your bikes. Is the WRR superior to the 350-EXC for rides like BigDog, 10Cup, and Basher have documented on their WRRs?

The Wolfman saddlebags fit / work well on the WRR, and haul all you could ever need. The only guy I've seen outfit his 350-EXC with Wolfman style racks is BanhXeo, but I haven't seen much posted about how he uses the bike for long trips, how the racks are holding up after going down, etc.

Also, the stator on the WRR appears to be almost double the capability of the 350-EXC. Can this be upgraded on the 350-EXC?

Why all the questions? I recently purchased a WRR after reading about the reliability of the bike and it's ability to haul a load and be a trustworthy steed for anything from the short 1 day out/back, all the way up to the multi-week ride hauling tons of gear. My initial impression? Very nice bike, but it's underpowered for my desires. With that said, I went on a ride up through some trails above Santa Barbara the other day and found that it had plenty of power to do what I wanted it to do. The one thing I noticed was that I had to shift up / down a lot to keep the power where I wanted it.

Sorry for all of the questions, but thought I should see what I can drag out of those who've had both bikes before I spend $2000 adding farkles to the WRR.

Thanks in advance guys!
ViaADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #390
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I'll Bite. I use both the Wolfman Saddlebags (Day trippers) and the rack from Globetrottin depending on where I'm headed. The rack from globetrottin is extremely durable. I have had more than one hard fall and they hold solid. Both sides are equipped with rotopax mounts. 1 for water 1 for Gas. I have not yet camped off the bike, it is fully set up to do so.

The stator IS very small. Dvwalker did a small write up on where your power is being used and it helped me get a better understanding of what little extra is available. There is a larger stator availble but I want to say it is in the 250w range. Not worth the extra bucks Imho.

The Wolfman dry expedition bags are great. They fit right on the globetrottin rack and have a lot of "dry" storage space...

Now, I just recently purchased a '13 F800 GS. This is going to fit the bill for me to do more long distance travel with dirt thrown in as I enjoy riding the 350 with as little "luggage" as possible as the weight on such a light bike is very noticeable no matter where you carry it. I have done 300 mile ride days on the 350 and will still do more, and have logged 6000 miles total on it but I don't enjoy riding it for extended periods on the pavement. Sorry I do not have any experience with the WRR but from all ride report accounts if your looking for the smallest bike that can go the furthest, that is definitely it. Hope this helps.

Where is Dvwalker anyway... I know the snow has melted up there

PS. You may want to shoot E-Ticket2 a PM. I believe he has experience with both if I'm not mistaken and he did this great write up if you haven't seen it already http://www.omraoffroad.com/forum/vie...p?f=40&t=11373
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote