Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #406
ViaADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
dvwalker, just read your UT/ID/OR Outback Ride via UTBDR, T2, OBDR - wow! It is on my hot list now. Thanks!

OK, I've got to ask. Why did you take your WRR on that trip? Why not the 350EXC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
I can say now after a number of long rides and many miles, my 350 reliability has been excellent, no issues. I think KTM knocked this one out of the park. I still have my little under powered WRR, and still prefer it over my 350 on longer multi-day (multi-state) tour type rides. At one point was thinking about selling the WRR, but after my last ride (RR here) I'm hanging onto it.
ViaADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #407
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViaADV View Post
OK, I've got to ask. Why did you take your WRR on that trip? Why not the 350EXC??
if the 350 was my only steed choice, it would have been fine, although since I had the luxury of choice, these were the voices in my head ...
  • lots of remote sections on that ride, WRR was proven
  • many miles of non-technical road sections, 350 has more engine vibs at higher RPM, and not as comfortable at end of day
  • factory light for night riding is better on the WRR (currently)
  • really didn't want to put those kind of miles on my 350 queen
  • gas mileage is slightly better, although with my larger Acerbis really was a non-issue
  • stator output on the WRR has more wattage and when wearing heated clothing for long duration, battery condition may have become an issue on the 350. Turns out I didn't need the heated clothing since weather was good on this trip, roll of dice though

'14 KTM 1190 Adv, '12 KTM 350EXC, '09 Yamaha WR250R
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #408
dvwalker
Working to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post

the 118 links chain is too big for a 14/50 combo. damn. maybe a 116 will do, but i need the 118 if i go back to 52t.
congrats on your new purchase NSFW, you're going to have a blast getting it setup then riding...this bike will put a smile on your face that's worth the bikes weight in gold

I learned the hard way on the factory chain as well, with 48t rear had to go up 2 chain links to 116. The tension blocks are nice and centered with this setup. But like I said in a previous post, 48t rear is compromise gearing.

If you need more lower "billy goat" gearing control (50t vs 52t) and do not want to swap chains, think about swapping out your countershaft sprocket.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #409
ViaADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Makes total sense - thanks again. At this point, unless a great deal on a used KTM drops in my lap so I can justify both, I'm going to proceed with outfitting the WRR and enjoy riding it. I will likely focus more on non-technical rides over the next couple of years anyway since my 14 yr old son is just learning to ride and I want to try some of the long distance / remote / multi-state adventures. On these rides the reliability factor is a big one for me.
ViaADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #410
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
if the 350 was my only steed choice, it would have been fine, although since I had the luxury of choice, these were the voices in my head ...
  • lots of remote sections on that ride, WRR was proven
  • many miles of non-technical road sections, 350 has more engine vibs at higher RPM, and not as comfortable at end of day
  • factory light for night riding is better on the WRR (currently)
  • really didn't want to put those kind of miles on my 350 queen
  • gas mileage is slightly better, although with my larger Acerbis really was a non-issue
  • stator output on the WRR has more wattage and when wearing heated clothing for long duration, battery condition may have become an issue on the 350. Turns out I didn't need the heated clothing since weather was good on this trip, roll of dice though
Which tank did you buy? Would you do it again or something else?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #411
dvwalker
Working to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodder View Post
Which tank did you buy? Would you do it again or something else?
Acerbis 5.3 natural. It's a quality tank and clean no-hassle fit, with exception of fuel pump swap which takes a few minutes. Really like glancing down to see remaining fuel.

I'd probably go with the 13 liter (3.4gal) if I was to do it all again. The powerparts tank kit includes the fuel pump, that way you have a spare.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #412
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
How much of a handlebar rise did you get with the HDB mounts?
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #413
dvwalker
Working to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
How much of a handlebar rise did you get with the HDB mounts?
1 5/8" from the hdb scotts mount over stock then another 1/2" from the new bar.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #414
Eagerpooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
tires

so i just did the roaming rally on the 350 and it rocked. she ran flawless for about 400 miles.

I did cruise through my rear tire and would like to put a good dirt tire (non dot) for nasty muddy, rocky, sandy NE conditions. I dont typically ride street much.

lemme know if you have any recomendations. i am just changing the rear. the stock front still looks good after 600mi
Eagerpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #415
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Acerbis 5.3 natural. It's a quality tank and clean no-hassle fit, with exception of fuel pump swap which takes a few minutes. Really like glancing down to see remaining fuel.

I'd probably go with the 13 liter (3.4gal) if I was to do it all again. The powerparts tank kit includes the fuel pump, that way you have a spare.

Who sells the tank with pump included?
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #416
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 244
Big Tank Data

Just completed 1069 miles in 6 days of eat, sleep, and ride on the KTM 350 EXC-F
lightweight, go anywhere, adventure machine w/ 3 other ADVriders on KTM's
MAP LINKY

Camped light off the bike (est.20#'s gear). 150-300 miles per day.
No fuel in Denio required 300 miles between fuel stops (Gerlach to Fields) with .2 gal to spare on big 5.2 gal natural tank= 60 mpg. Stock fuel mapping
If yer goin' remote, get the big tank. The fuel pump is easy to remove/install, it will fall right into place. You will need the thinner thru fittings for the big tank and a good hose clamp (not the one that comes w/ the big tank).

13/45 gearing=stock chain and 60mph cruise speed
Enduro Engineering seat.
Zero Issues
Balance your wheels
RR soon....film @11.

Juan
Nevada City, CA.
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #417
Attrition
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Starting to rattle

KTM 350 EXC-F

I was out on a trail ride when the bike started making this noise. It was a lot louder when the bike was hot.

After doing some research it seems that the cam chain tensioner does not do a good job and is prone to failure.

The bike only has 9 hours on the clock and I am going to replace the tensioner with a DJH manual tensioner.

Anyone else have this problem? Or am I misdiagnosing it?
Attrition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #418
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
Just completed 1069 miles in 6 days of eat, sleep, and ride on the KTM 350 EXC-F
lightweight, go anywhere, adventure machine w/ 3 other ADVriders on KTM's
MAP LINKY

Camped light off the bike (est.20#'s gear). 150-300 miles per day.
No fuel in Denio required 300 miles between fuel stops (Gerlach to Fields) with .2 gal to spare on big 5.2 gal natural tank= 60 mpg. Stock fuel mapping
If yer goin' remote, get the big tank. The fuel pump is easy to remove/install, it will fall right into place. You will need the thinner thru fittings for the big tank and a good hose clamp (not the one that comes w/ the big tank).

13/45 gearing=stock chain and 60mph cruise speed
Enduro Engineering seat.
Zero Issues
Balance your wheels
RR soon....film @11.

Juan
Nevada City, CA.
Awesome, Juan! Thats exactly the kind of trip For which I got the bike. Post a link to the ride report, thats a ride not to far from me.
wizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #419
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrition View Post

I was out on a trail ride when the bike started making this noise. It was a lot louder when the bike was hot.

After doing some research it seems that the cam chain tensioner does not do a good job and is prone to failure.

The bike only has 9 hours on the clock and I am going to replace the tensioner with a DJH manual tensioner.

Anyone else have this problem? Or am I misdiagnosing it?
Yes. My '12 350EXC-F has only 16 hours on it, and it makes a similar sound when I ride it. At first, I thought that it was chain slap, so I changed the stock gearing from 14/45 to 13/48 (still using the stock chain). I still heard the noise. I then tensioned the drive chain by the manual - tightening it until it would just hit the leading edge of the upper chain guard. I still heard the noise. I then tensioned the chain by removing the shock, and check the tension while the CS, the swing arm pivot, and the rear axle were in one plane. It still makes the noise.
To this day, I can hear the noise, but it only seems to constantly occur when I am at relatively low RPM. Once I get above, maybe 3 or 4,000 RPM, I can not hear it anymore. The noise is not *terrible*, but it does make me a bit nervous. I am also nervous to use anything but the recommended Motrex 10W-50. I certainly would not use a lighter viscosity oil, as the CCT is hydraulically assisted, using oil pressure from the oil pump. I might see if the alternate 10W-60 helps, seeing as summer is here now anyway.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #420
Attrition
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
To this day, I can hear the noise, but it only seems to constantly occur when I am at relatively low RPM. Once I get above, maybe 3 or 4,000 RPM, I can not hear it anymore. The noise is not *terrible*, but it does make me a bit nervous. I am also nervous to use anything but the recommended Motrex 10W-50. I certainly would not use a lighter viscosity oil, as the CCT is hydraulically assisted, using oil pressure from the oil pump. I might see if the alternate 10W-60 helps, seeing as summer is here now anyway.

It makes me nervous as well. It does not make a lot of noise but I wonder if I should ride it at all or wait until I can fix it.
Attrition is offline   Reply With Quote