Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #436
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
Details on the cush hub?

the 640 cush hub is a direct bolt on. mine came from a 2002. the newer 690 won't, no idea how to make it work, neither the pre-2000 640s.

hard to tell it if made improvement in my riding, but hoping a long term benefit that my tranny will last longer.

checked the valve clearance after 800 miles....all within the spec.....

i will be buying a set of shims before the next valve check, good chance i will need them.

having a rekluse clutch, finding the tdc is tricky. turn the crank but the cam won't turn only after i adjusted the slave cylinder to increase drag. if you don't have this, i don't know how else without removing the clutch cover.

NSFW screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 06:20 PM
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #437
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 208
1069mi in six days - one question & one request

Juan,
I assume you did not change the oil on day 4, so how'd it look when you got home? Also, if you have the tracks, can you post them here, or direct me to the place where they are already posted?
Bob in Monterey
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
[CENTER]Just completed 1069 miles in 6 days of eat, sleep, and ride on the KTM 350 EXC-F
lightweight, go anywhere, adventure machine w/ 3 other ADVriders on KTM's
MAP LINKY
Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #438
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey_BS View Post
Juan,
I assume you did not change the oil on day 4, so how'd it look when you got home? Also, if you have the tracks, can you post them here, or direct me to the place where they are already posted?
Bob in Monterey
Click on the map linky to the everytrail map, then under 'Export This Trip' click 'download gpx for your GPS' files on lower right.
MAP LINKY
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2185516

The files will show up as 6 individual days worth of riding and should match up perfect with the Benchmark Nevada Atlas (Nevada Portion).

If you have a preferred method of .gpx exchange lemme know.

Serviced bike when I got back, oil looked fine, oil filters very clean. Air filter dusty but OK on inside. Consider using air filter socks.
New plastics scuffed up good from Giant Loop bag (worked perfect), consider blue painters tape under bag contact points.

Total weight of camping gear in Coyote bag just 16 lb's.

CAMP DAY 4- COTTONWOOD CANYON WEST EDGE OF SHELDON ANTELOPE REFUGE

Juan
Nevada City, CA.

"Yes, a KTM ridden under these less demanding conditions does not need the valves checked every time you stop to take a leak"
visualizerent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #439
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Nice! Lets ride sometime Juan, I'm in Chico.

Took the 350 to the High Lakes near Philbrook with a buddy on the new 500 yesterday. 140 miles of just real good riding. Also, I switched to the No-Toil filter right off the bat on this bike. For an extended dirty trip its a piece of cake to clean and be back on the trail.

This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #440
visualizerent
Raconteur

[QUOTE=BanhXeo;21778921]Nice! Lets ride sometime Juan, I'm in Chico.

Will do! PM sent w/ contact info.
I wanna get around Philbrook area, and east of Lake Almanor, and towards Lassen on the 350-camping out. Show me around!

I also am planning a Plumas N.F. lookout tour and will be looking for company as well.

RIDING THE 350 EXC-F AROUND THE LAKES BASIN AREA-SIERRA BUTTES-SIERRA COUNTY

Juan
Nevada City

YOUTUBE STUFF
http://www.youtube.com/user/blancolirio
Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #441
Elusion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
350 exc for a short guy?

I rode a friends 350 exc yesterday. It was the first Dirt Bike I ever rode. Now of course I want one. But I am SHORT, 5'7"-8" with a 30-32inch inseam. Standing at Stop Lights was tiring and precarious and almost unbearable for anything over 30 seconds.
He had a more heavy duty shock on it so my 180lbs didn't really move it. I 'd get the 350 if I could at least touch the ground a bit more. I don't even know how I'd do in the dirt.
Would the stock shock sag a couple inches so I could stand a little better?
Elusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #442
mmjsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusion View Post
I rode a friends 350 exc yesterday. It was the first Dirt Bike I ever rode. Now of course I want one. But I am SHORT, 5'7"-8" with a 30-32inch inseam. Standing at Stop Lights was tiring and precarious and almost unbearable for anything over 30 seconds.
He had a more heavy duty shock on it so my 180lbs didn't really move it. I 'd get the 350 if I could at least touch the ground a bit more. I don't even know how I'd do in the dirt.
The stock suspension will sag a lot MORE so you can easily tip toe or put one foot down on the ground.
mmjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #443
1wicked55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42

RIDING THE 350 EXC-F AROUND THE LAKES BASIN AREA-SIERRA BUTTES-SIERRA COUNTY

Juan
Nevada City

YOUTUBE STUFF
http://www.youtube.com/user/blancolirio[/QUOTE]

Hey that's my back yard.

Give me a call when you plan on riding PNF.
I'm located in Portola.

Mike 927 9827
1wicked55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #444
visualizerent
Raconteur

[/QUOTE]Hey that's my back yard.

Give me a call when you plan on riding PNF.
I'm located in Portola.

Mike 927 9827[/QUOTE]

Will do, thanks. PM sent

Planning a PNF Lookout tour soon.

JB
Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #445
visualizerent
Raconteur

Quote:
I dunno...I think I would not recommend jumping into a brand new top of the line anything (like the KTM 350 EXC-F) for the first time in any new sport. The depreciation off the show room floor is just too great. Get a used WR or DR or ??? and ride for a season or two with experienced riders of varying capabilities to insure that you are hooked on the sport before making such a large investment.

That being said, I'm a short 5'-6" rider and still running stock suspension on the KTM 350...but I have thought of lowering it more than once. These machines can be lowered by an inch or so pretty easily.

JB
Old 07-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #446
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
I recommend that you learn to ride first, and worry about lowering a stock suspension much, much later. Riding technique is everything, and will take time and many miles to learn. Hence, don't try to learn on a state-of-the-art Enduro race bike. Find a used trail or DS bike and go from there.

You also might read through the Shorty Pants thread (originally by and about women riding), which has a surprising variety of information that may be of use to you: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669666

I've been riding for many years, but mostly on street bikes. My off road skills are intermediate at best. With a 31" inseam (I'm 5'10"), I always ride full height suspensions.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #447
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
The Evolution Continues......

14 months ago I had a Super Tenere which I sold after about 9 months, then before I bought my 2013 690 enduro I debated (here on the forum) whether to get the 690, the 500 or the 350. I sold my 690R yesterday and today I joined the 350 family;

everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #448
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
14 months ago I had a Super Tenere which I sold after about 9 months, then before I bought my 2013 690 enduro I debated (here on the forum) whether to get the 690, the 500 or the 350. I sold my 690R yesterday and today I joined the 350 family;

You failed to mention that you also have a Mosler.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #449
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
Nice bike! It's going to feel like a mountain bike after your bigger bikes.

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #450
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Hard starting

Right about now I am not very happy with my brand new POS. For the life of me I can not get it to start using the estart. As I tried to leave the dealer yesterday it would not start and I could tell the battery was fairly low. I promptly (immediately) ran the battery down trying to use the electric starter. The owner came out and we messed with it and he could not get it to estart either due to the dead battery. We kicked it and it eventually started and I told him I would take it and charge the battery at home.

Charged the battery all night with a super smart charger and it showed fully charged. Tried to estart it many many times and ran the battery down again. Fully charged it again and tried to start it, with same results. I have now fully charged and fully discharged the battery twice trying to get the bike to start with the e starter.

I was able to kick it and go for a short ride, but I won't put up with a bike that I can't use the estarter on. I specifically bought this bike due to the electric starter for using it on really steep stuff when I kill the motor.

I have tried every throttle combo that the dealer and his mechanic mentioned and that I could find on this forum (no throttle, some throttle, some throttle then shut off throttle while cranking, etc.). Nothing works.

Any thoughts?
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote