User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
jorrizza OP
newb

Oddometer: 69
8000km Northern Europe trip

Here's the plan. One guy. One month (coming July). One Transalp 700. Nine countries (The Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany (yay, twice!) and back to The Netherlands). It's more or less 8000km... I think.

Here's what makes it interesting. I've got no experience what so ever. This is my first motorcycle, and I've barely put 18000km on it since Feb '11. Went through two pairs of tires though . It'll be low budget, so I'll sleep in a tent most of the time.

I think I've covered all of the legal issues. There's no need for visas and/or special country-specific insurance that I know of. Just having a green card, health insurance and proper identification should suffice. Right? There's cell phone coverage in most of the places I'll visit, but I've bought a SPOT GPS thingy just to be sure. Speaking of GPS, I'll be using a Garmin GPS unit. The TomTom Rider I've got now can't store all the needed maps at once and I won't take a laptop with me just for changing map data. That would be silly.

I'll be documenting this trip using a GoPro Hero mounted on my helmet and a compact Canon camera. Since the SPOT service has a nice API, and I happen to be a software engineer, I'll integrate all of that into a nice little ride report map website thing.

These toys require power. Therefore my tank bag has a 12V connection which I'll use to charge the batteries. For all of the other junk I'll be hauling around SW-Motech Trax panniers will do the job just fine.

Here's a quick cell phone picture of the beast that will be an even closer friend during the trip.

I'm quite convinced I've almost thought of everything. That's where you guys come in. Did I miss something enormously important? Feel free to call me a noob :) Input about what to visit along the way is always welcome. There's no exact route. There will never be one.
jorrizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Roadpizza
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Since you don't mention Sweden, am I right in thinking that you're going from Norway to Finland via the arctic route? If so, It sounds like a truly epic adventure. Pack wet weather gear and make sure of your fuel points and it should be the best trip of your life. Untill you take the next adventure ride. Best of luck. P.S. I'm envious.
Roadpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 796
It will be an awesome ride....!Keep updating!

zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I think you covered most of things. Tyres are expensive up here so is good to have new/almost new rear tyre. I made a 8000 kms trip on a 700 and the fuelconsumtion was 4,2 litr/100 kms fully loaded bike. In Norway it makes under 4 litre....so no worries about the petrolstations.

You need a registrationpapers(shows who own the bike) bordering Finland-Estonia.

Entering Estonia etc, cheap overnight via booking.com....if you keep a little bit away from the bigger citys.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
jorrizza OP
newb

Quote:
am I right in thinking that you're going from Norway to Finland via the arctic route?
Yep. I'll try to stick to the coast as much as possible. Places like Lofoten are things I absolutely don't want to miss.

Quote:
Tyres are expensive up here so is good to have new/almost new rear tyre.
Got that covered. I'll leave with a brand new set of TKC-80s. They'll last for about 10000km on 90/10 tarmac/gravel.

Quote:
You need a registrationpapers(shows who own the bike) bordering Finland-Estonia.
I haven't thought of that. Thanks! It's mandatory to have license and registration papers with me at all times in the Netherlands. I hope those will do. But I'll look in to that.

Quote:
Keep updating!
Will do! I'll create a website in the coming days at 7008000.eu. When ever there's new content on there regarding this trip, I'll update this topic.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I really donīt think TKC80 manage 10000 kms with fully loaded bike and on tarmac? I would save theme and go for a Tourance, among others.

You will also not need TKC80, roads are tarmac, but of course, if you are searching for gravel....thatīs another thing.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
jorrizza OP
newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Saarela View Post
I really donīt think TKC80 manage 10000 kms with fully loaded bike and on tarmac? I would save theme and go for a Tourance, among others.

You will also not need TKC80, roads are tarmac, but of course, if you are searching for gravel....thatīs another thing.
You might have a point there. My current TKC80s have about 2.5 mm left in the center (rear) and are completely wedged (front) after about 9000km or so. Half of that was with a passenger riding pillion. The main reason for going with TKC80s again is the looks, honestly. I'm considering ContiTrailAttacks. Reviews are pretty good and gravel performance is acceptable. This is valuable input. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 936
Curious about the Go-Pro footage! If you want, we could go for a ride sometime... I was planning to get my Alp out with the panniers the coming week anyways I'm from the Rotterdam-region.

Subbed by the way, a journey to the north is something in the back of my mind as well.
Dekatria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
nordicbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
About tyres: go for the Heidenau K60 front and back. The last setup I was using lasted for 13.000km! And that was a KTM 990 Adv, with twice as many horses as you Transalp. The K60 is the perfect compromise for something like 50% asphalt / 50% gravel. And at least in Europe they are quite cheap!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
jorrizza OP
newb

Well, the website is live. It doesn't have that much info at the moment. I'm working on that! The country pages will feature all of the photos and videos alongside some witty commentary. The map will show live data from the SPOT service and, when I'm back, all of the photo locations.

There's another short term challenge that needs solving. There's no room for the GPS on the handlebars, because the tank bag is in the way. So I'll try to make a frame which places the GPS unit above the clocks, where it belongs. This frame will be attached to the windscreen mount, effectively moving the windscreen up/forward a bit. This should also help reduce the buffeting. I'll post how (if I manage) in the Transalp Modifications thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
Curious about the Go-Pro footage! If you want, we could go for a ride sometime... I was planning to get my Alp out with the panniers the coming week anyways I'm from the Rotterdam-region.
The footage is pretty awesome. I'm working on video support for the website. I usually just use the 720p setting, because it's more than enough for web usage. I'm planning some long(ish) distance test rides for the full setup next month. I'll drop you a PM when I know when exactly. We should definitely meet up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicbiker
About tyres: go for the Heidenau K60 front and back.
I'll keep an eye out for those. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
AdNox
Almighty viking rider

Oddometer: 8
Laugh

If you want to catch this road (Lysebotn): http://travel.zerogdesigns.com/images/96/lysebotn2.jpg - I am hereby inviting to take you for a trip! :) I live in Stavanger, around 100km from Lysebotn, and would be happy to take you out for a sightseeing tour if I'm at home myself then. My own video from the road, going up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATSRbW-H7gY
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 936
Gotta love your 'under construction' pic on the site
Dekatria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
jorrizza OP
newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdNox View Post
If you want to catch this road (Lysebotn): http://travel.zerogdesigns.com/images/96/lysebotn2.jpg - I am hereby inviting to take you for a trip! :) I live in Stavanger, around 100km from Lysebotn, and would be happy to take you out for a sightseeing tour if I'm at home myself then. My own video from the road, going up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATSRbW-H7gY
Thanks! There's a good chance I'll be in touch to take you up on that offer. That video is amazing by the way.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #14
exotesthrasouden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Next trip

Great plan, that was actually going to be my trip this year before I was able to link up with a few other advids doing an Eastern Europe trip; Poland, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, then back home through Germany.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750753

Are you planning on doing a ride report? I'd love to follow your tracks next time around or at least see the highlights.

Ryan

- 2009 BMW F800GS
exotesthrasouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
jorrizza OP
newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotesthrasouden View Post
Great plan, that was actually going to be my trip this year before I was able to link up with a few other advids doing an Eastern Europe trip; Poland, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, then back home through Germany.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750753
I see why you've chosen that route. That's going to be one hell of a trip. Subscribed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotesthrasouden View Post
Are you planning on doing a ride report? I'd love to follow your tracks next time around or at least see the highlights.
There will be a ride report when I'm back. Both over here (a short version) and on the website. If everything works on the technical side of things, you'll be able to see the exact route on the map. In near real time, too :)