Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,022
Moto Geek chiming in here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorrizza View Post
...I won't take a laptop with me just for changing map data. That would be silly.
Yes, it would be. However... taking a laptop to save your daily GPS track is well worth while. The resolution is orders of magnitude better than you'll get with the Spot, and you can view the track later in Google Earth. Programs like GPSUtility can easily translate Garmin's .gdb file into a .kml file for Google earth.

Quote:
Since the SPOT service has a nice API, and I happen to be a software engineer, I'll integrate all of that into a nice little ride report map website thing.
If you must use the Spot - Spot's API isn't all that great - check out Spotwalla - Jason is a fellow rider and has provided a great service that lets you create and save trip logs & maps - the Spot service just shows a few days.

That being said, don't be surprised if your Spot track has hours long gaps in your ride - the "every 10 minutes" is mostly wishful thinking. If you're interested, here's a link to a 2009 ride GPS track in Google Earth format.

Enjoy the ride and don't worry about your "lack of experience". This is EXACTLY how one gets experience
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Me again - better yet, here's a direct comparison of my 2011 ride in both Spot and GPS capture modes:

Spot as captured by Spotwalla (view in browser)

GPS Capture in Google Earth format (download and open in GE)
Old 05-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #18
exotesthrasouden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Jorrizza,

That's gonna be really cool seeing your trip in real time. Subscribed. Keep in touch brother, in case you need a buddy on your next trip.

- 2009 BMW F800GS
exotesthrasouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #19
jorrizza OP
newb

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Yes, it would be. However... taking a laptop to save your daily GPS track is well worth while. The resolution is orders of magnitude better than you'll get with the Spot, and you can view the track later in Google Earth. Programs like GPSUtility can easily translate Garmin's .gdb file into a .kml file for Google earth.

If you must use the Spot - Spot's API isn't all that great - check out Spotwalla - Jason is a fellow rider and has provided a great service that lets you create and save trip logs & maps - the Spot service just shows a few days.
The official API isn't all that great. There's Spot Adventures now, which offers a direct KML download link for people who are logged in. It pretty much does the aggregation Spotwalla does too. I'm planning on mirroring that KML automatically every 15 minutes or so by mimicking a browser logging in and downloading it. The map on my website can render KML files directly onto a Google maps canvas. The reason why I'm going for SPOT data is the real time aspect of things. Storing a months worth of high resolution GPS data is, at best, a challenge on a very small budget. And there's no way to send that data home without using some Internet connection somewhere. Even speeding in Norway is cheaper than using HSDPA/3G with a Dutch carrier abroad.

I have been working on a small device that tries to use open (or badly secured ^^) WiFi networks to send its collected GPS data, but that won't be finished in time and won't be any good in rural areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
That being said, don't be surprised if your Spot track has hours long gaps in your ride - the "every 10 minutes" is mostly wishful thinking. If you're interested, here's a link to a 2009 ride GPS track in Google Earth format.
Me again - better yet, here's a direct comparison of my 2011 ride in both Spot and GPS capture modes:
Spot as captured by Spotwalla (view in browser)
GPS Capture in Google Earth format (download and open in GE)
Ooh. That is a difference indeed. I didn't know it was that bad. It's still good enough as long as there's at least one or two points a day. Thanks for pointing this out, man. I'm definitely going to test this setup thoroughly before leaving the comfort of my own geek bunker.
jorrizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Even speeding in Norway is cheaper than using HSDPA/3G with a Dutch carrier abroad.
€10/MB with a US data plan

Thank God for free wi-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorrizza;18678768I
Ooh. That is a difference indeed. I didn't know it was that bad. It's still good enough as long as there's at least one or two points a day. Thanks for pointing this out, man. I'm definitely going to test this setup thoroughly before leaving the comfort of my own geek bunker.
Absolutely. I HATE 'surprises' when I'm away from my main resources. I'm not sure which version of Spot you're using, but you can always hit the "Check In" button to send a message/waypoint at the start and end of the day, along with any points that you definitely want to mark along the way. Be aware that it could be 5-10 minutes between the time you push the button and the time the message is actually sent.

Heavy forest and deep Alpine valleys do a number on Spot connectivity (GPS, too, but not as bad).
Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I did the same tour, check out my trip report if you want!

Dont get tempted to speed to much in Finland, they took my licence for 2 months after doing 132 in a 80 zone.
2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
Bamako-Vespa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Free Wifi

At every airport in Norway you get one hour free wifi.. :)

There are quite a few small and very accessible airports as you get further north in Norway. Park outside and go in and buy some coffee. Enter your phone number in the login and they'll send you a password giving you one hour of free wifi.

Try following the coast going up northern Norway. Not the E6.

Here's a short time lapse I made (driving a car) from Ørnes to Saltstraumen last week:
http://youtu.be/A_kJp6-XRRM

Beautiful road, though there are other parts of it that are more spectacular. Mind you, this is shot on a Gopro hero HD. :)

www.bamakobyvespa.no
Bamako-Vespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #23
jorrizza OP
newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2712 View Post

Dont get tempted to speed to much in Finland, they took my licence for 2 months after doing 132 in a 80 zone.
Great ride report! I've hugely enjoyed reading that. Couch surfing looks like a fun alternative. I'm planning to go the other way around, though. And the speed, well, my bike has less than half the oompf of your GS :)

Quote:
At every airport in Norway you get one hour free wifi
Good to know. I'm not planning on using it, but some addictions just have to be addressed when the need arises.

Quote:
Try following the coast going up northern Norway. Not the E6.

Here's a short time lapse I made (driving a car) from Ørnes to Saltstraumen last week:
http://youtu.be/A_kJp6-XRRM
I wasn't planning to. Everybody keeps saying to keep away from the main "highway". I guess there's some truth in that. That video is pretty convincing proof in favor of that statement.

I don't know if I'm going to make it time-wise to skip highways all together. Parts of Germany and Finland can easily be skipped when the schedule's tightening. And who cares anyway, people are used to IT people finishing late, hahah :)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #24
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2712 View Post

Have to tell that, if you have to speed 52 over the limit in Scandinavia, do it in Finland. I think 2 month without licence is a bargin for that.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
Korruptio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
McDonalds = Free WiFi in every one of them. And there are plenty...
Korruptio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #26
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korruptio View Post
Also, for the Americans in the audience, it's just about the only place in Europe where you can get lots of ice in your drink. They'll look at you funny, but they'll do it.

Normally ice isn't an issue, but when it's pushing 40C and you're in full riding kit, in traffic...
Old 05-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #27
jorrizza OP
newb

McDonalds eh? I don't know if free WiFi is worth a blown rear shock. ;)

And I've got some updates about the plan. There will be two test trips when all of the hardware is mounted next month. One of roughly 350km, which is somewhat the average daily distance I'll have to cover. It's a rather low average, with good reason. It keeps the schedule nice and roomy for unscheduled activities along the way. The other test trip will be almost 800km, which I'll try to cover in a day as well. Avoiding the main motorways of course. It's more or less a test to see for how long I can ride comfortably and when it becomes unbearable. On the hardware side there's news as well. Next week the last bits and pieces will be fitted to the bike. I'll be replacing the tires, the chain and sprockets as well. Hopefully there's a pair of K60s available. If not I'll go for the Conti Trail Attacks.

In the coming weeks I'll be updating the main points of interest I'll try to visit in each country.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #28
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
It´s a good advice.
I use lot of free WiFi. In Sweden ´7eleven at Shell gasstations, Max as well McDonalds. Do not go inside, just park outside and connect.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #29
enkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Good to know.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #30
ThorH
BMW R1200GS

Oddometer: 215
Do not plan to average more than 200 km per day in Norway. Less on the coast where you have the ferries.

The E6 is ok, but only up North. And only if you do not have the time to do RV17. South of Trondheim you should avoid it like the plague.
ThorH is offline   Reply With Quote