Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
jorrizza OP
newb

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorH View Post
Do not plan to average more than 200 km per day in Norway. Less on the coast where you have the ferries.

The E6 is ok, but only up North. And only if you do not have the time to do RV17. South of Trondheim you should avoid it like the plague.
But the days will get longer up north ;) But you're right. Riding the full length of Norway is probably the most scenic part of the trip, so I should take my time. Avoid E6 south of Trondheim. Check. RV17 is definitely on the list. Still working on it. So much to see, so little time.

Tomorrow will be the first test trip with all the electronics and other gear fitted to the bike. It's going to be a wet one. Rain all day. I love riding in the rain, as long as it's not below freezing. I've got somewhat of a goal too. I don't know if anybody has ever seen Hairy Bikers on BBC? Anyway, they happened to visit a bakery in Burgh. The stuff they sell looked so damn tasty. I just have to have a few of those.

Loving the Heidenau K60s by the way
jorrizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #32
ThorH
BMW R1200GS

Oddometer: 215
You love riding in the rain???? Well, you may get lucky in Norway...

The days may get longer, but you still need your rest. The ferries do not run at night, you need to find a place to sleep, etc. RV17 from Trondheim to Bodø is a 3 days ride. If you hit the ferries just right, I guess you could do it in two long days, but I would definitely plan for 3. (Did it last summer.)

IMO people tend to get greedy. They see the North Cape, they see Finland, Sweden, maybe even Russia, on their maps. They want to see it all. And then they just race through it all without even looking. Chill. The North Cape is nothing special. It has already been conquered and explored. While beautiful up North, the best riding is in the South-West, below Aalesund. You can spend weeks there without riding the same twisties twice, in spectacular scenery.

If you must go up North, do the RV17 to Bodø. Take the ferry to Aa and take the time to explore the Lofoten islands. Then turn South again on E6. This part is ok, and much faster. (Just don't go too fast.) Just my five cents...
ThorH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #33
jorrizza OP
newb

Quote:
The days may get longer, but you still need your rest. The ferries do not run at night, you need to find a place to sleep, etc. RV17 from Trondheim to Bodø is a 3 days ride. If you hit the ferries just right, I guess you could do it in two long days, but I would definitely plan for 3. (Did it last summer.)
I'm planning 10-11 days for the entire length of Norway, from Kristiansand to route 893 heading into Finland. From there it's the E75 down south. I think it's quite doable in this time period.

Quote:
IMO people tend to get greedy. They see the North Cape, they see Finland, Sweden, maybe even Russia, on their maps. They want to see it all. And then they just race through it all without even looking. Chill. The North Cape is nothing special. It has already been conquered and explored. While beautiful up North, the best riding is in the South-West, below Aalesund. You can spend weeks there without riding the same twisties twice, in spectacular scenery.
I kind of agree. Of course you shouldn't race through most the beautiful parts of this planet. But you shouldn't hang around in one place for too long either. This trip is kind of an exploratory thing. Visiting as many places (properly) as possible, going home with a bucket load of impressions I can turn into new trips. I'm skipping the North Cape entirely by the way.

Quote:
If you must go up North, do the RV17 to Bodø. Take the ferry to Aa and take the time to explore the Lofoten islands. Then turn South again on E6. This part is ok, and much faster. (Just don't go too fast.) Just my five cents...
Great idea. Kind of what I had in mind myself. Won't be turning back south through Norway, but RV17 and Lofoten are definitely part of the route.

Today's ride report summarized in one photo:

Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #34
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
What kind of plans you have for Baltics? My suggestion is to completely avoid Via Baltica aka E67 going from Tallinn-Pärnu-Riga-Kaunas-Warszawa. Lot of traffic and mostly really boring road too. Eastern route (close to Russian border) will be more scenic for enduro rider while following coastline (western route) will offer more for regular tourists (beaches, resorts and so on).
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #35
jorrizza OP
newb

Thanks! The Baltics were still kind of a mystery. Not a lot of travel info, except for the standard tourist destinations. I was in doubt whether to follow the Russian/Belarus border or the coastline. Can't (and mostly don't want to) go through Kaliningrad, because of visa hassles. I'll take your advice and travel the eastern route. For what I can see on Google street view the scenery is rather nice.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #36
jorrizza OP
newb

Talking Bye!

Well, it's time to say goodbye. Tomorrow (3rd) I'll pack my bike and I'll be leaving for Northern Germany the day after (4th).

The website is completely up to date. The GPS tracking works, although I did use SpotWalla after the "unofficial" SPOT API was taken offline without notice. I have to admit, it works like a charm. So during the trip new dots will (should?) appear on the map. If they stop appearing, let's just assume the SPOT locater died on me, shall we? :)

Oh, the second test trip went absolutely fine. 12 hours of riding. 700 km. No serious aches, no mechanical problems and an overall good ride. I did get lost once, though.

Anyway. This is my final post in this thread. It's no longer trip planning, now is it? :) There will be a ride report. I promise.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #37
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Have a great ride, and I'm glad that Spotwalla worked for you. One can never have too many tricks in one's bag
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #38
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 921
Best of luck out there, looking forward towards the RR and pics!
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #39
Wolsly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Have fun and take care.
Do not fotget about us and keep us posted

Cheers

Wolsly
Old 07-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #40
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolsly View Post
Do not fotget about us and keep us posted
See his "map" link in message #36.

Speaking of which, Jorrizza, it would be great if you would turn on the connecting line option
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #41
jorrizza OP
newb

Ride Report

here

Sorry about the delay.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #42
Sventastic
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Other way round

I'm planning the same trip the other way around, starting from Belgium. Good site by the way, and nice riding report. How did the Heidenau's do, I've ordered my set for the KTM Adventure. My companion and I leave at June 10th. Any do's and don'ts not yet mentioned?
Sventastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #43
jorrizza OP
newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sventastic View Post
I'm planning the same trip the other way around, starting from Belgium.
Good luck on your trip!

Quote:
How did the Heidenau's do
They were absolutely fantastic. Plenty of grip on both tarmac and gravel. They're worthless in mud, though. I've put about 12000 km on the rear tire, and the front tire is still going strong (18000 and counting). Your average TKC80 would have been worn down to the canvas after that. Don't expect the same mileage with the amount of torque the katoom produces ;)

Quote:
Any do's and don'ts not yet mentioned?
A few things in general maybe. Don't ever open your visor in Finland. Not even when you're stopping. Always slow down when you see reindeer. They're suicidal, the lot of them. Check your insurance coverage and bring an international drivers license. In theory it's not needed, but I've been told some police officers in rural Poland and the Baltics have not yet received the memo. Oh, and for Norway, if you're planning to use toll roads, register your license plates in advance.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #44
DonVulpes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Are your geo-tagged photos all from your mobile phone ?

Excellent site and a brilliant read....I love the Dutch sense of humour :)
DonVulpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:01 AM   #45
jorrizza OP
newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVulpes View Post
Are your geo-tagged photos all from your mobile phone ?
Nope, the camera I've used (Canon SX260 HS) has GPS. I've written a small script to translate a bunch of photos into a KML file, which in turn is projected onto a Google map.