Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
It wasn't a recall, it was a service campaign. The bubbles were a cosmetic issue. Did you expect BMW to replace the 17 year old gas tank on your bike because of a cosmetic issue?
Nope, I really didn't. However, they can't say yes if you don't ask. To be honest I rather like the lighter weight and added volume of the plastic tank.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
fivetimeson129
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Anorak, keep in mind that the tank failures began to show up many years ago; is it your position that a fuel tank on a bike that went for just south of 11 large is supposed to become permeable to fuel, at any time?

Hope the op doesn't mind the mutant sub topic-wonder if he has the bubbles.
fivetimeson129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
edit:

vintagerider screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 11:58 PM Reason: as posted
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerider View Post
David, sad to hear that you are once again having issues on the road. I see that you checked the TPS but perhaps the voltage is ok only at idle. Your symptoms of loosing power under load were exactly what I experienced with an 1100 TPS failure- symptoms were exactly like a clogged fuel filter.

However, you also noticed a drop in fuel pressure to 2 bar. Hard wire the fuel pump at the pump plate directly to the battery. Re-check the fuel pressure under load. If the problem is alleviated with temporary direct wire of the pump then repair the pump electrical supply. Could be as simple as the relay or more complex like Motronic is not pulsing the pump properly. Direct wire of the pump by-passes these issues but not faulty TPS.

If direct wire of the pump has no effect AND you still get low pressure under load then perhaps one of the pump plate ports has blockage. If that is not it then the cheap Asian fuel pump is the problem. I remember when you installed it instead of the genuine made by Boyz in Brazil Bosch item. I had concern at that time that installing a white box fuel pump would have payback.
Great ideas.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrocks View Post
Nope, I really didn't. However, they can't say yes if you don't ask. To be honest I rather like the lighter weight and added volume of the plastic tank.
Excellent point. When I worked at a dealer, I remember a customer who was adamant about a replacement tank on a 10 year old bike, that's a different situation.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #21
hasenwerk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
OK, an update here after many weeks of riding with the problem is resolved. This was a compound problem so I'll list the issues I found.

First off all, if you are going to swap your BMW branded pump with something different insist on the Bosch pump and not a knock-off (even though the OE pump is made by VDO). The Bosch pump it is significantly quieter than the old knock-off pump ever was. It fits better, might cost a little more and the auto-parts still will insist that the cross-referenced part is just the same, but resist... buy the Bosch! In the end, if cost me $122 delivered - cheaper on line but hey - I have the pump now.

After draining the fuel from the fuel tank during the dis-assembly, the last dregs of fuel in the tank that the pump didn't evacuate had a lot of water in it. I suspect this is from the fueling station that I used before the problems started.

My tank is a Touratech 41L tank and therefore had the TT fuel pump extension kit installed. The fuel lines provided with this kit were starting to get really soft and referencing the pipe with the hose store here in town, it is not designed to be submerged in fuel - so perhaps bits of rubber floating around also did in the pump. The TT aluminium piece at the bottom of the pump that holds the pipes fits the Bosch fuel pump like a glove and fits OK on the knock-off pump.

Now the pump is whisper quiet, the system pressure will hold 3.5 bar under full acceleration, I did however set it back to 3.2 bar afterwards. The correct fuel lines are installed so no more rubber bits floating in fuel. Life is now good!

ONE TANK REMAINS! BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenwerk View Post
The past weekend the girlfriend and I rode from Quesnel BC to Jasper AB and back. After fuelling up in Prince George about 1h into the trip the bike was having a hard time getting above 4000 rpm to where finally it became impossible to get it above 4000 rpm.
I would just change girlfriends and be done with it.
def is offline   Reply With Quote